We Are Portland, OR, Medical Malpractice Attorneys
- Over 40 Years of Experience
- More Than $3 Billion Secured for Our Clients
- Thousands of Lives Changed
Victims of medical malpractice in Portland need a law firm they can count on who are knowledgeable, experienced, and steadfast in their representation. Janet, Janet & Suggs’ (JJS) medical malpractice division is a team of experienced professionals who know how to navigate the complex process of medical malpractice recovery while maintaining clients’ dignity.
FREE CASE REVIEW
Find out today if you are eligible for compensation.
What Should Medical Malpractice Victims Look for in a Portland, OR, Medical Malpractice Attorney?
JJS has decades of malpractice legal experience. This experience has led to our delivering historic justice for people who have been harmed in catastrophic medical injury cases. Whether the malpractice is a result of negligence, recklessness, or outright misconduct, these cases are not easy on the parties involved. For over 40 years, JJS has used our legal and medical knowledge to advocate for injured clients, and while our practice areas and experience are vast, we do not waver from practicing what is simply great law.
- Investigating the evidence. JJS’s malpractice team has the medical knowledge and investigative resources needed to understand what the evidence of injury shows, as well as what additional evidence is needed to demonstrate the full extent of the injury. When JJS builds a malpractice case, we pursue the truth using our network of trusted allies. This means medical malpractice victims have the opportunity to seek to recover damages for their injuries along with answers about what happened to them.
- Calculating the damages. Experienced medical malpractice attorneys like those at JJS have a deep understanding of the full implications of the medical and financial needs of those who have been injured by medical error. In building a case that seeks to recover the full extent of damages stemming from the negligence, JJS uses a variety of invaluable resources, such as our in-house medical experts.
In fact, previous cases’ investigations have turned up evidence other attorneys missed. As is needed in these cases, JJS enlists leading industry experts to review and examine clients’ injuries and build strong cases on their behalf.
Medical malpractice law firms must also have the financial resources to last the fight. When it comes to fair compensation for damages, major malpractice cases for complex and catastrophic injury can take years. Inexperienced and underfunded malpractice firms often encourage victims to agree to settlements that are unfairly low early on because the legal team is not financially equipped to take these cases to trial on a contingency basis.
How Can Janet, Janet & Suggs Help Victims of Medical Malpractice?
JJS helps victims of serious injuries resulting from medical malpractice in Portland, OR, by persisting. The pursuit of damages for serious injuries, which are often extensive and difficult for an inexperienced legal team to calculate completely, is complex and requires a deep understanding of both medicine and law.
- Medical expenses. Those who have been injured by malpractice will find themselves responsible for the costs of medical expenses like inpatient treatment, surgeries, emergency room visits, medication, and medical devices, rehabilitative care, and much more. This financial burden is overwhelming and often impossible to recover from for many families. Additionally, most severe malpractice injuries result in a lifetime of medical care needs, meaning the extent of the cost of care has only just begun.
- Lost wages and earning capacity. Medical malpractice suits can seek to recover compensation for an individual’s actual lost wages and even compensate victims for future wages that will be almost certainly lost as a result of their reduced or eliminated earning capacity because of their injury. For example, many victims of catastrophic malpractice cases, such as delayed C-section birth injuries, will never be able to earn a living. However, even if the injured person is a wage-earning adult at the time of their injury, they may not be able to return to work. Many times, work as they once knew it is out of the question, especially in cases of brain injury.
- Non-economic damages. JJS’s team has the experience to calculate and then prove the immense value of legally allowable non-economic damages before a jury or at the settlement table. Filing a lawsuit when someone has been harmed by medical malpractice can provide a way for injured people to recover damages for their pain and suffering, reduced quality of life, and emotional distress, among other kinds of damages.
Meet the Janet, Janet & Suggs’ Medical Malpractice Team
Howard Janet has uncovered medical mistakes that other lawyers have missed and represented clients throughout much of the country, recovering record-breaking results. He has authored multiple books, including Navigating a Medical Malpractice Lawsuit, Representing Plaintiffs in Medical Malpractice Cases as lead author and Patients’ Rights and Doctors’ Wrongs—Secrets to a Safer Pregnancy and Childbirth, which he co-authored with Dr. Giles Manley.
Ken Suggs served as president of the Association of Trial Lawyers of America (now known as the American Association of Justice), the leading national plaintiff’s bar association, and has been a relentless advocate for his clients for over 40 years.
Dr. Giles Manley is a board-certified physician who practiced medicine for 20 years before becoming a medical malpractice attorney. He has won a number of seven-figure verdicts on behalf of his clients, combining his medical knowledge and legal experience to secure monumental victories for his clients.
Gerald Jowers represents patients who have been harmed by medical malpractice, pharmaceuticals, and medical devices, recovering extraordinary results for clients and their families at the settlement table and in the courtroom.
What Results Has Janet, Janet & Suggs Achieved for Our Clients?
The attorneys of JJS have been fighting for the rights of injured people in a number of ways for decades. By uncovering medication, hospital and doctor errors, leading class-action lawsuits against dangerous drugs and unsafe products and defective medical devices, and fighting for fair compensation in other types of accident cases, JJS has become a nationally recognized firm for its record-breaking recoveries. JJS has recovered millions of dollars on behalf of medical malpractice victims in successful settlements and trial verdicts.
- $33.5 Million for Delayed C-Section: In Tennessee, a jury awarded this record-breaking verdict after determining doctors’ negligent actions in delaying a medically necessary Cesarean section resulted in the baby developing severe brain damage as well as cerebral palsy.
- $24.25 Million for Failure to Diagnose: Another record-breaking medical malpractice verdict was awarded by a District of Columbia jury after doctors neglected to diagnose and respond to a child’s airway obstruction, causing her to suffer preventable brain damage and cerebral palsy.
- $18 Million for Medication Error: This settlement against a pharmacy was for a medical error resulting in the incorrect medication being dispensed to a pregnant mother. Their negligence resulted in her child developing a neural tube defect, which caused paraplegia and other severe injuries.
- $13 Million for Poor Postoperative Care: A US government-employed medical provider’s negligence resulted in this settlement for a patient who received poor postoperative care, causing cerebral palsy and brain damage.
Local Resources for Victims of Medical Malpractice in Portland, OR
Being seriously injured by medical malpractice often means needing more than basic support and care. This may include local and state community assistance, especially while awaiting the resolution of a malpractice case.
- City of Portland Disability Resources: This site provides a hub for those seeking support for a victim of medical malpractice whose injuries have led to the need for disability services.
- Multnomah County Caregiver Support System: Some caregivers for those with severe injury or disability can receive support and respite through this county service.
- Oregon Medical Board: This portal access to file a complaint against a negligent healthcare provider.
Locations We Serve
JJS is proud to offer representation for families across the country, including in Portland and elsewhere in Oregon, Maryland, Illinois, Iowa, Minnesota, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Virginia, and Washington, D.C.. JJS also practices as well as on a case-by-case basis in courtrooms across other states.
When people have been harmed by the providers they entrusted their care to, they deserve to have legal representation. At JJS, we apply the same principle to others who have suffered injuries in a variety of circumstances, including:
- Defective medical products
- Defective products
- Military medical malpractice
- Nursing home negligence
- Organ damage
- Sexual abuse
- Surgical errors
- Wrongful death
Why Choose Janet, Janet & Suggs for Portland, OR, Malpractice Cases?
JJS works to get our clients the answers and fair compensation they will need to have the best quality of life possible after being seriously harmed by their medical providers. With JJS’s decades of experience, team of knowledgeable lawyers and medical experts, and access to significant resources, our case results show we are equipped to successfully litigate against negligent providers and institutions. However, our history of record-breaking verdicts and settlements is only one sign of our continued successes in getting clients justice.
We have also been recognized by a variety of leading organizations including Best Lawyers®, Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch in America, AV Preeminent ratings by Martindale-Hubbell, and as one of U.S. News & World Report’s Best Law Firms. Many of our attorneys are also listed as Super Lawyers® These recognitions from leading organizations reflect our continued commitment to working toward securing our clients’ futures when they have been harmed by medical malpractice. Contact the medical malpractice team at Janet, Janet & Suggs today for a free, no-obligation consultation.