We Are Portland, OR, Birth Injury Attorneys
- Over 40 Years of Experience
- More Than $3 Billion Won for Our Clients
- Thousands of Lives Changed
Portland, OR, birth injury victims deserve compassionate and experienced legal representation when seeking to recover damages for the harms they have suffered. The birth injury division of Janet, Janet & Suggs (JJS) treats Portland birth injury victims with professionalism, compassion, and dignity throughout the process of recovery.
FREE CASE REVIEW
Find out today if you are eligible for compensation.
What Should People Who Have Been Injured Look for in a Portland, OR, Birth Injury Attorney?
The birth injury division of JJS has been delivering historic justice for victims of birth injury across the country for over four decades. As an experienced firm with extensive legal and medical resources, JJS will investigate and assess each case in seeking a successful verdict or fair settlement.
- Investigating the injuries. The initial phase of any birth injury case begins with JJS’s pursuit of the truth, even if those responsible have worked to conceal their role in the injuries. We enlist our network of medical professionals, expert witnesses, and professional investigators to uncover ALL the circumstances that led to and even followed the injury. By working to gather all evidence through our own thorough investigative process, we have even uncovered evidence that other law firms missed.
- Building a complete case. Calculating fair and appropriate damages requires a complete understanding of the scope of care required in catastrophic birth injury cases. Because birth injury victims harmed by medical malpractice often depend on the damages recovered through legal action to pay for medical care and maximize their quality of life, we will not cut corners when it comes to fully assessing injuries and estimating costs of care.
Whether injuries are the result of inexcusable negligence, brash recklessness, or outright misconduct, birth injury cases are never easy on those who have been harmed. The reality of these complex cases is that they require law firms to have the resources to build and sustain a strong case. Birth injury cases can take years to resolve, but too often inexperienced and underfunded firms encourage clients to agree to unfairly low settlements if the firm is not financially equipped to take these cases to trial.
How Can Janet, Janet & Suggs Help Victims of Birth Injury?
Our extensive network of resources includes in-house medical experts to support those harmed by birth injury right here in Portland and across the country. We take the time to understand the full extent of the injuries faced by our clients and the damages that have resulted.
- Medical expenses. The costs of inpatient treatment, surgeries, emergency room visits, medication, medical devices, and rehabilitative care quickly add up to far more than what most families can reasonably afford, even with insurance. The consequences of the most serious birth injuries that result from catastrophic medical malpractice generally lead to a lifelong financial burden. The stress of maintaining these costs never should have fallen on victims in the first place.
- Care-giving expenses. Other expenses associated with caring for an individual with a significant injury include those that cannot just be added up by the figures listed on even enormous hospital bills. Adaptive vehicles for transport, home modifications, access to home care, and other care costs may not be covered by insurance or may exceed allowable limits.
- Lost wages and earning capacity. In addition to the cost of care that will be needed to address the injuries caused by negligent medical treatment, trauma of this degree also affects one’s ability to earn a living. JJS works to recover damages for an injured mother’s lost wages or even an injured child’s lack of future earning capacity.
Non-economic damages. Victims of egregious medical malpractice can often recover punitive damages for harm faced in birth injury and other malpractice cases. Experienced firms like JJS understand how the law allows compensation for non-economic losses in medical malpractice cases, such as victims’ pain and suffering, reduced quality of life, punitive damages, and emotional distress.
Meet the Leaders of Janet, Janet & Suggs’ Birth Injury Division
Howard Janet has uncovered medical mistakes that other lawyers have missed and represented clients throughout much of the country, recovering record-breaking results. He has authored multiple books, including Navigating a Medical Malpractice Lawsuit, Representing Plaintiffs in Medical Malpractice Cases (lead author), and Patients’ Rights and Doctors’ Wrongs—Secrets to a Safer Pregnancy and Childbirth, which he co-authored with JJS’s Dr. Giles Manley.
Ken Suggs served as president of the Association of Trial Lawyers of America (now known as the American Association for Justice), the leading national plaintiff’s bar association, and has been a relentless advocate for his clients for over 40 years.
Dr. Giles Manley is a board-certified OBGYN who practiced medicine for 20 years before becoming a medical malpractice attorney. He has won a number of seven-figure verdicts on behalf of his clients, combining his medical knowledge and legal experience to secure monumental victories for his clients.
Gerald Jowers represents patients who have been harmed by medical malpractice, pharmaceuticals, and medical devices, recovering extraordinary results for clients and their families at the settlement table and in the courtroom.
What Results Has Janet, Janet & Suggs Achieved for Its Clients?
Over the last forty years, we have recovered hundreds of millions of dollars on behalf of medical malpractice victims all across the United States, providing families with hope, healing, and the chance for a secure future of quality care.
- $33.5 Million for Delayed C-Section: In Tennessee, a jury awarded this record-breaking verdict after determining doctors’ negligent actions in delaying a medically necessary Cesarean section resulted in the baby developing severe brain damage as well as cerebral palsy.
- $24.25 Million for Failure to Diagnose: Another record-breaking medical malpractice verdict was awarded by a Washington, D.C., jury after doctors neglected to diagnose and respond to a child’s airway obstruction, causing her to suffer preventable brain damage and cerebral palsy.
- $18.1 Million for Mismanaged Labor and Delivery: This verdict was obtained in Iowa on behalf of a child who developed spastic quadriplegic cerebral palsy after the mother was taken off of continuous electronic fetal monitoring and placed on intermittent monitoring despite known risk factors.
- $18 Million for Medication Error: This settlement against a pharmacy was for a medical error resulting in the incorrect medication being dispensed to a pregnant mother. Their negligence resulted in her child developing a neural tube defect, which caused paraplegia and other severe injuries.
Local Resources for Victims of Birth Injury in Portland, OR
Birth injury victims may need to access community resources on their road to healing. These community resources can not only help families find and pay for care, but they can also provide avenues of support to families to help deal with the life-altering consequences of catastrophic birth injury and connect with others who understand their experiences.
- City of Portland Disability Resources: This site provides a hub for those seeking support for a victim of medical malpractice whose injuries have led to the need for disability services.
- Multnomah County Caregiver Support System: Some caregivers for those with severe injury or disability can receive support and respite through this county service.
- Cerebral Palsy Family Network: This national resource provides connections to other families impacted by cerebral palsy, along with educational materials.
Locations Janet, Janet & Suggs Serves
We are proud to offer our birth injury representation for families across the country, including Portland and elsewhere in Oregon, Maryland, Illinois, Iowa, Minnesota, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, North Carolina, Vermont, Virginia, and Washington, D.C. JJS also practices on a case-by-case basis in courtrooms across other states.
JJS offers representation for those who have been harmed by others in a variety of practice areas.
- Defective pharmaceuticals and medical devices
- Military medical malpractice
- Nursing home negligence
- Organ damage
- Sexual abuse
- Surgical errors
- Wrongful death
Why Choose Janet, Janet & Suggs for Portland, OR, Birth Injury Cases?
Our team of lawyers and medical experts has over forty years of experience securing successful verdicts for victims of others’ negligent acts. Our work on life-altering personal injury cases has resulted in historic justice for victims of medical malpractice, sexual assault, and other injuries. However, our long history of record-breaking verdicts and settlements is just one indication of our continued success in securing justice for those who have been harmed.
We have also been recognized by a variety of leading organizations including Best Lawyers®, Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch in America, AV Preeminent Ratings by Martindale-Hubbell, and as one of U.S. News & World Report’s Best Law Firms. Many of our attorneys are also listed as Super Lawyers®. These recognitions from leading organizations reflect our continued commitment to working toward securing our clients’ futures when they have been harmed by medical malpractice. Contact the birth injury team at Janet Janet & Suggs today for a free, no-obligation consultation.