We Are Columbia, SC, Medical Malpractice Attorneys
- Over 40 Years of Experience
- More Than $3 Billion Secured for Our Clients
- Thousands of Lives Changed
South Carolina medical malpractice victims need a law firm that will not only maximize any financial recovery under the law but support them and advocate for them along the way. The medical malpractice division of Janet, Janet & Suggs (JJS) understands that being injured by a medical provider's negligence is difficult on victims and works to provide experienced, knowledgeable representation for victims of catastrophic medical malpractice.
FREE CASE REVIEW
Find out today if you are eligible for compensation.
What Should You Look for in a Columbia, SC, Medical Malpractice Attorney?
JJS’s medical malpractice division is a team with decades of experience delivering historic justice for other people who have suffered tremendously from medical errors through thorough investigation and a keen understanding of seeking maximum recovery under the law.
- What the evidence says. Our firm has the medical knowledge and investigative and legal resources needed to pursue the truth. Victims will have an opportunity to seek financial recovery for the harm done to them.
- What your treatment costs. In order to build a case that fully addresses the needs of severely injured victims of medical malpractice, the lawyers who represent victims must understand the scope of victims’ past, current, and future medical care. When we prepare a case that seeks to recover the appropriate compensation we put to work all possible resources, including our in-house medical experts, to arrive at a thorough assessment of each situation.
Inexperienced, underfunded firms often encourage clients to take unfair settlements early in the process. These low settlements so early on in the legal process may mean that a firm is not equipped to take a case to trial.
How Can Janet, Janet & Suggs Help Victims of Medical Malpractice?
When fighting for victims of medical malpractice in Columbia, JJS helps clients to recover financially from the damages that have been inflicted upon them by the very people who were supposed to provide care.
- Medical expenses. Medical bills include emergency room visits, inpatient treatment, surgeries, and often a lifetime of other medical care costs. Malpractice claims can seek recovery for the costs victims are already responsible for—and the bills to come. They should not have to be responsible for bills resulting from medical negligence.
- Loss of wages or earning capacity. The injuries caused by medical providers’ negligent actions impact victims’ ability to do their jobs for a long time—often forever. In many cases, compensation for lost future earning capacity may also be available to victims, as well. JJS works to maximize the recovery for these kinds of damages.
- Non-economic losses. South Carolina laws around medical malpractice provide victims of medical errors the right to seek compensation for non-economic damages up to $1.5 million, in some cases. Non-economic damages include pain, suffering, and your diminished quality of life, and experienced malpractice attorneys know how to best calculate the amount of compensation to seek for these important losses victims have experienced.
Meet the Janet, Janet & Suggs’ Medical Malpractice Team
Howard Janet has uncovered medical mistakes that other lawyers have missed and represented clients throughout much of the country, recovering record-breaking results. He has authored multiple books, including Navigating a Medical Malpractice Lawsuit, Representing Plaintiffs in Medical Malpractice Cases as lead author and Patients’ Rights and Doctors’ Wrongs—Secrets to a Safer Pregnancy and Childbirth, which he co-authored with Dr. Giles Manley.
Ken Suggs served as president of the Association of Trial Lawyers of America (now known as the American Association for Justice), the leading national plaintiff’s bar association, and has been a relentless advocate for his clients for over 40 years.
Dr. Giles Manley is a board-certified physician who practiced medicine for 20 years before becoming a medical malpractice attorney. He has won a number of seven-figure verdicts on behalf of his clients, combining his medical knowledge and legal experience to secure monumental victories for his clients.
Gerald Jowers represents patients who have been harmed by medical malpractice, pharmaceuticals, and medical devices, recovering extraordinary results for clients and their families at the settlement table and in the courtroom.
What Results Has Janet, Janet & Suggs Achieved for Our Clients?
Nationally recognized for having successfully recovered millions for victims of medical malpractice in record-breaking lawsuits, JJS’s trial lawyers have been successful in achieving justice for victims all across the country.
- $33.5 Million for Delayed C-Section: In Tennessee, a jury awarded this record-breaking verdict after determining doctors’ negligent actions in delaying a medically necessary Cesarean section resulted in the baby developing severe brain damage as well as cerebral palsy.
- $24.25 Million for Failure to Diagnose: Another record-breaking medical malpractice verdict was awarded by a Washington, D.C., jury after doctors neglected to diagnose and respond to a child’s airway obstruction, causing her to suffer preventable brain damage and cerebral palsy.
- $18 Million for Medication Error: This settlement against a pharmacy was for a medical error resulting in the incorrect medication being dispensed to a pregnant mother. Their negligence resulted in her child developing a neural tube defect, which caused paraplegia and other severe injuries.
- $13 Million for Poor Postoperative Care: A US government-employed medical provider’s negligence resulted in this settlement for a patient who received poor postoperative care, causing cerebral palsy and brain damage.
Local Resources for Victims of Medical Malpractice in Columbia, SC
Victims of a medical error often require ongoing supportive care and community assistance, especially while awaiting the resolution of a malpractice case.
- South Carolina State Board of Medical Examiners: If you have a complaint about the care you received from a medical provider, you may submit a complaint to the state licensing board.
- Bureau of Health Facilities Licensing: Specific complaints about medical facilities, such as surgical centers, nursing homes, and hospitals can also be filed with the state.
- Family Caregiver Support: The state of South Carolina offers assistance to family members who must provide care and support for their ill or disabled family members.
- Employment and Workforce Services: Many victims of medical malpractice who are unable to continue with their previous careers look for ways to explore new professions. The South Carolina Department of Employment and Workforce provides services that may help you decide on a new pathway.
Locations We Serve
Janet, Janet & Suggs is proud to offer representation for families across the country, including Columbia and elsewhere in South Carolina, Maryland, Illinois, Iowa, Minnesota, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Virginia, and Washington, D.C. We represent clients in these states as well as on a case-by-case basis in courtrooms across other states.
JJS offers representation for those who have been harmed by others in a variety of practice areas.
- Birth injuries
- Brain injuries
- Cancer misdiagnosis or delayed diagnosis
- Cerebral palsy
- Defective pharmaceuticals and medical devices
- Military medical malpractice
- Nursing home negligence
- Organ damage
- Sexual abuse
- Surgical errors
- Wrongful death
Why Choose Janet, Janet & Suggs for Columbia, SC, Medical Malpractice Cases?
JJS’s representation of medical malpractice victims over the span of more than 40 years has resulted in historic justice for those harmed in malpractice cases. However, our long history of record-breaking verdicts and settlements is just one indication of our continued successes in getting justice for those who have been injured.
We have also been recognized by a variety of leading organizations including Best Lawyers®, Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch in America, AV Preeminent ratings by Martindale-Hubbell, and as one of U.S. News & World Report’s Best Law Firms. Many of our attorneys are also listed as Super Lawyers® These recognitions from leading organizations reflect our continued commitment to working toward securing our clients’ futures when they have been harmed by medical malpractice. Contact the medical malpractice team at Janet, Janet & Suggs today for a free, no-obligation consultation.
801 Gervais Street, Suite B
Columbia, SC 29201