We Are Des Moines, IA, Medical Malpractice Attorneys
- Over 40 Years of Experience
- More Than $3 Billion Secured for Our Clients
- Thousands of Lives Changed
The medical malpractice team at Janet, Janet & Suggs (JJS) understands that being injured as a result of medical negligence is difficult, and victims deserve respectful representation that preserves their dignity and recovers damages justly. JJS offers decades of successfully delivered, historic justice for Iowans who have suffered catastrophic medical malpractice injuries.
FREE CASE REVIEW
Find out today if you are eligible for compensation.
What Should People Who Have Been Injured Look for in a Des Moines, IA, Medical Malpractice Lawyer?
JJS’ medical malpractice division is a team of lawyers and other experienced professionals who are skilled in navigating the complexity of cases of the most severe medical negligence and recklessness. Because medical malpractice cases for catastrophic injuries are not going to be resolved quickly, victims need to be confident they can count on their firm’s long-term support. We begin by investigating:
- What the evidence says. In building the strongest case possible, we thoroughly examine the facts and events surrounding the injuries, conducting our own investigation into what really happened, why it happened, and who was at fault. We have the medical knowledge and the resources to pursue the truth, even when healthcare providers try to hide it, which means victims get a chance at justice for the harm inflicted on them.
- What the damages amount to. Medical malpractice attorneys must be able to fully grasp the scope of victims’ current and future needs when it comes to medical care and treatments. In preparing a suit that seeks to recover the appropriate amount in compensation for victims’ injuries, JJS makes sure to put all possible resources to work, including our in-house medical experts, to calculate the maximum recovery in each case.
Medical malpractice law firms like JJS who take on the most severe cases must also have the financial resources and time to build the strongest case possible and see it through. Inexperienced, underfunded firms often try to push their clients to take unfairly low settlements early in the process because they are not equipped to take a case further.
How Can Janet, Janet & Suggs Help Victims of Medical Malpractice?
JJS helps victims of medical malpractice who are seeking to recover damages for the injuries they suffered by scrutinizing the full scope of an injury’s impact on a victims current and future situations.
- Medical expenses. These expenses add up quickly, and victims should not have to be responsible for medical bills they have incurred as a result of their doctor’s negligence. Victims may owe tens or even hundreds of thousands of dollars in emergency room visits, inpatient treatment and care, surgeries, outpatient care, and more.
- Loss of wages or earning capacity. Suffering a major medical injury affects victims’ ability to earn a wage as they once did—often forever. When medical errors or negligent behavior impacts victims’ ability to earn a living, they can seek compensation for those lost wages.
- Non-economic losses. Under Iowa law, victims can recover damages in the form of financial compensation for their pain, suffering, inconvenience, physical impairment, mental anguish, emotional pain and suffering, and other non-economic damages.
Meet the Janet, Janet & Suggs’ Medical Malpractice Team
Howard Janet has uncovered medical mistakes that other lawyers have missed and represented clients throughout much of the country, recovering record-breaking results. He has authored multiple books, including Navigating a Medical Malpractice Lawsuit, Representing Plaintiffs in Medical Malpractice Cases as lead author and Patients’ Rights and Doctors’ Wrongs—Secrets to a Safer Pregnancy and Childbirth, which he co-authored with Dr. Giles Manley.
Ken Suggs served as president of the Association of Trial Lawyers of America (now known as the American Association for Justice), the leading national plaintiff’s bar association, and has been a relentless advocate for his clients for over 40 years.
Dr. Giles Manley is a board-certified physician who practiced medicine for 20 years before becoming a medical malpractice attorney. He has won a number of seven-figure verdicts on behalf of his clients, combining his medical knowledge and legal experience to secure monumental victories for his clients.
Gerald Jowers represents patients who have been harmed by medical malpractice, pharmaceuticals, and medical devices, recovering extraordinary results for clients and their families at the settlement table and in the courtroom.
What Results Has Janet, Janet & Suggs Achieved for Our Clients?
Over more than 40 years, JJS has recovered millions for victims of negligent healthcare providers in record-breaking lawsuits across the country.
- $18.1 Million for Mismanaged Labor and Delivery: We obtained this verdict in Iowa on behalf of a child who developed spastic quadriplegic cerebral palsy after the mother was taken off of continuous electronic fetal monitoring and placed on intermittent monitoring despite known risk factors.
- $33.5 Million Delayed C-Section: After determining that a doctors’ decision to delay a medically necessary Cesarean section resulted in the baby developing severe brain damage as well as cerebral palsy, a Tennessee jury awarded this record-breaking verdict.
- $24.25 Million Failure to Diagnose: Another record-breaking medical malpractice jury verdict, this time in Washington, D.C., was awarded for a child who suffered brain damage and cerebral palsy because her doctors failed to diagnose and respond to her airway obstruction in time.
- $13 Million Poor Postoperative Care: JJS was able to recover millions in damages when a U.S. government-employed healthcare provider provided poor post-operative care, which resulted in brain damage and cerebral palsy.
Local Resources for Victims of Medical Malpractice in Des Moines, IA
The harms inflicted on victims of medical malpractice are not just financial. Severe injuries that result from negligence often require ongoing care and community assistance, especially while you await the resolution of your case.
- Iowa Board of Medicine: The State of Iowa's system to report claims of wrongdoing by medical providers.
- Iowa Department of Human Services: The Iowa Department of Human Services provides information about and access to community-based services, care facilities, employment supports, and other assistance for those with disabilities.
- Iowa Department of Human Rights Financial Assistance: These programs can provide assistance and support to some people who need help getting and paying for medical care, housing, utilities, and other financial obligations.
Locations We Serve
JJS is proud to offer representation for families across the country, including Des Moines and elsewhere in Iowa, New Jersey, New York, Maryland, Illinois, Minnesota, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, North Carolina, Virginia, and Washington, D.C. We also represent clients on a case-by-case basis in courtrooms across other states.
At JJS, we apply the same level of compassionate, dedicated care that governs our medical malpractice work to advocate for those who have suffered injury in a variety of practice areas.
- Defective pharmaceuticals and medical devices
- Military medical malpractice
- Nursing home negligence
- Organ damage
- Sexual abuse
- Surgical errors
- Wrongful death
Why Choose Janet, Janet & Suggs for Des Moines, IA, Malpractice Cases?
JJS’s dedication to providing security and healing to families affected by catastrophic medical malpractice is evident through our decades of experience, our skillful team of lawyers and medical experts, and our access to substantial legal and medical resources. Our work has resulted in historic justice for those harmed in medical malpractice cases, but our long history of record-breaking verdicts and settlements is just one indication of our continued successes in getting justice for those who have been injured.
We have also been recognized by a variety of leading organizations including Best Lawyers®, Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch in America, AV Preeminent ratings by Martindale-Hubbell, and as one of U.S. News & World Report’s Best Law Firms. Many of our attorneys are also listed as Super Lawyers® These recognitions from leading organizations reflect our continued commitment to working toward securing our clients’ futures when they have been harmed by medical malpractice. Contact the medical malpractice team at Janet, Janet & Suggs today for a free, no-obligation consultation.
699 Walnut Street
Des Moines, IA 50309