Meet the Team
Giles H. Manley, M.D., J.D., F.A.C.O.G.
- Maryland Super Lawyers® 2019-2020
- Maryland Super Lawyers® Rising Star 2011-2015
- Martindale-Hubbell® AV® Preeminent™
- Board-certified OBGYN, 20+ years
- Former Chief of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Mid-Atlantic Permanente Medical Group
Dr. Manley brings to Janet, Janet & Suggs, LLC more than 20 years’ experience in the medical profession. As a board-certified OBGYN with well over 2,000 deliveries, he is extremely knowledgeable in all areas of obstetrics. His specialty training was at the Greater Baltimore Medical Center (GBMC), which included a four-month rotation of high risk obstetrics at Johns Hopkins Hospital. Following successful completion of his residency, he served as a faculty instructor at GBMC, while also maintaining a private practice. In 1996, he left this practice to become the Chief of Obstetrics and Gynecology in Baltimore for the Mid-Atlantic Permanente Medical Group (the physician group of Kaiser Permanente). While continuing to serve as OBGYN Chief, in 2002, he also took on the role of Area Medical Director.
In addition to his extensive obstetrical experience, Dr. Manley had a particular interest in gynecologic surgery. His specialty was in the area of minimally invasive procedures. He was the first person at GBMC to perform a laparoscopic supra cervical hysterectomy, and the first to perform incontinence surgery utilizing a tension-free vaginal tape. Both procedures allowed the patient to return home on the day of surgery, followed by a brief recovery period. He has lectured to fellow physicians nationwide about these innovative techniques.
Throughout his medical career, Dr. Manley has served on a number of committees including: the Obstetrical Advisory Committee at GBMC, the Gynecology Advisory Committee at GBMC, and the Obstetrical Quality Review Committee at Kaiser, among others. He is a fellow of the American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology as well as the American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
Dr. Manley has extensive medical-legal experience and has served as an expert witness. He has testified many times in both depositions and trials. He has done this both from a plaintiff’s and defense perspective.
Having witnessed substandard medical care first-hand, Dr. Manley decided to become a plaintiffs’ medical malpractice attorney. He was confident he could use his medical expertise to benefit severely injured patients and their families. While he handles a wide range of malpractice claims, a substantial portion of his time is devoted to representing families whose children develop cerebral palsy from preventable birth injuries.
Dr. Manley is a highly skilled and respected trial lawyer. Among his seven-figure courtroom successes is a $9.5 million verdict on behalf of a family whose child suffered meningitis which, in turn, resulted in a permanently debilitating brain injury.
The most respected peer review rating organization for lawyers, Martindale-Hubbell®, has awarded Dr. Manley its highest possible rating for professional competence and ethics (AV®). He is included among the ranks of The National Trial Lawyers® Top 100.
- University of Baltimore School of Law, J.D. – 2005 (magna cum laude), Heuisler Honor
- University of Maryland School of Medicine, M.D. – 1986
- Towson State University, B.S. – 1981 (cum laude)
- Howard Janet and Giles Manley, “Knowledge is Power,” Cerebral Palsy Magazine, Dec., 2005 vol. 3 issue 4
- Giles Manley, “Inside the Brachial Plexus Injury Case,” Trial for AAJ, May, 2007 p.52
- Howard Janet and Giles Manley, “Patients’ Rights and Doctors’ Wrongs — Secrets to a Safer Pregnancy and Childbirth,” paperback and e-book, March, 2016