We Are Providence, RI, Birth Injury Attorneys
- Over 40 Years of Experience
- More Than $3 Billion Won for Our Clients
- Thousands of Lives Changed
Janet, Janet & Suggs (JJS) understands the sensitive nature—and high stakes—of a preventable birth injury. Families who have suffered a catastrophic birth injury in Providence, RI, need experienced legal representation from a law firm with a record of successful representation. The Rhode Island birth injury division of JJS provides those who have been harmed with the professionalism, compassion, and dignity they deserve throughout the process of recovering damages.
FREE CASE REVIEW
Find out today if you are eligible for compensation!
What Should People Who Have Been Injured Look for in a Providence, RI, Birth Injury Attorney?
Our birth injury lawyers have over four decades of experience delivering historic justice for victims of birth injury across the country, and we know how difficult these cases are to resolve. Whether injuries are the result of negligence, recklessness, or outright misconduct, birth injury cases are never easy on those who have been harmed by their healthcare providers. Our legal/medical team knows how to build the strongest case possible so families can focus on healing and recovery.
- Gathering the evidence. The initial phase of any birth injury case begins with the pursuit of the truth, especially if those who are responsible have worked to conceal their part. Our medical experts and professional investigators work to gather evidence that even previous law firms on the case have missed.
- Calculating the damages. Birth injury victims harmed by catastrophic medical error are often dependent on medical and supportive care for their entire lives, requiring fair and just compensation to secure the best quality of life possible.
Furthermore, the reality of complex injuries means that lengthy litigations require law firms to have the resources to sustain a strong case. Proper representation for birth injury cases means not pushing victims into taking a low settlement because the legal team has run out of the funds needed to pursue the case further. Birth injury cases can take years to resolve and,t too often, inexperienced and underfunded firms encourage clients to agree to premature, unfairly low settlements.
How Can Janet, Janet & Suggs Help Victims of Birth Injury?
Our extensive network of resources includes our in-house medical experts, who work to prove negligence while securing damages for those harmed by birth injury in Providence and across Rhode Island. The harms and losses that result from birth injury extend far beyond what may be apparent to less experienced law firms, but we take the time to understand the full extent of the injury and its life-long impacts, including:
- Medical expenses. The consequences of the most serious birth injuries caused by catastrophic medical malpractice generally result in families being saddled with a lifelong financial burden, as well as the stress of maintaining the finances needed to cover these costs that never should have fallen on victims in the first place.
- Other care expenses. Adaptive vehicles for transport, home modifications, access to home care, and other costs may not be covered by insurance or may exceed allowable limits, but a birth injury lawsuit can account for these future costs.
- Lost wages and earning capacity. JJS can work to recover damages for an injured mother’s lost wages or even an injured child’s lack of future earning capacity, adding to the overall value of the case.
- Non-economic damages. Experienced law firms like JJS understand how the law accounts for non-economic losses in medical malpractice cases, such as victims’ pain and suffering, reduced quality of life, punitive damages, and emotional distress, allowing us to seek maximum recovery.
Meet the Leaders of Janet, Janet & Suggs’ Birth Injury Division
Howard Janet has uncovered medical mistakes that other lawyers have missed and represented clients throughout much of the country, recovering record-breaking results. He has authored multiple books, including Navigating a Medical Malpractice Lawsuit, Representing Plaintiffs in Medical Malpractice Cases (lead author), and Patients’ Rights and Doctors’ Wrongs—Secrets to a Safer Pregnancy and Childbirth, which he co-authored with JJS’s Dr. Giles Manley.
Ken Suggs served as president of the Association of Trial Lawyers of America (now known as the American Association for Justice), the leading national plaintiff’s bar association, and has been a relentless advocate for his clients for over 40 years.
Dr. Giles Manley is a board-certified OBGYN who practiced medicine for 20 years before becoming a medical malpractice attorney. He has won a number of seven-figure verdicts on behalf of his clients, combining his medical knowledge and legal experience to secure monumental victories for his clients.
Gerald Jowers represents patients who have been harmed by medical malpractice, pharmaceuticals, and medical devices, recovering extraordinary results for clients and their families at the settlement table and in the courtroom.
What Results Has Janet, Janet & Suggs Achieved for Its Clients?
JJS’s record-breaking birth injury verdicts and settlements speak to our decades of successful representation of victims of birth injury. Over the last forty years, we have recovered hundreds of millions of dollars on behalf of medical malpractice victims all across the United States, providing families with hope, healing, and the chance to secure a future with quality care.
- $33.5 Million for Delayed C-Section: In Tennessee, a jury awarded this record-breaking verdict after determining doctors’ negligent actions in delaying a medically necessary Cesarean section resulted in the baby developing severe brain damage as well as cerebral palsy.
- $24.25 Million for Failure to Diagnose: Another record-breaking medical malpractice verdict was awarded by a Washington, D.C., jury after doctors neglected to diagnose and respond to a child’s airway obstruction, causing her to suffer preventable brain damage and cerebral palsy.
- $18.1 Million for Mismanaged Labor and Delivery: This verdict was obtained in Iowa on behalf of a child who developed spastic quadriplegic cerebral palsy after the mother was taken off of continuous electronic fetal monitoring and placed on intermittent monitoring despite known risk factors.
- $18 Million for Medication Error: This settlement against a pharmacy was for a medical error resulting in the incorrect medication being dispensed to a pregnant mother. Their negligence resulted in her child developing a neural tube defect, which caused paraplegia and other severe injuries.
Local Resources for Victims of Birth Injury in Providence, RI
JJS works to recover damages in a malpractice suit to help victims of birth injury in Rhode Island access and pay for medical and other care services. There are also valuable community resources available that can help families find and pay for care while awaiting resolution of their claim, and they can also provide avenues of support to families to help deal with the life-changing consequences of catastrophic birth injury, such as connecting them with families who share similar experiences.
- Rhode Island Department of Health: This website provides guidance for filing a professional licensing complaint against a Providence, RI, health professional or facility.
- Rhode Island Disability Resources: This organization's mission is to help improve access to information on brain injury and to enhance the effectiveness of agencies and service providers who work with survivors.
- Cerebral Palsy Family Network: The Cerebral Palsy Family Network is an online community that provides resources and support to help care for loved ones with cerebral palsy.
Locations Janet, Janet & Suggs Serves
JJS is proud to offer birth injury representation for families across the country, including Providence and elsewhere in Rhode Island, Maryland, Illinois, Iowa, Minnesota, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia, and Washington, D.C. JJS also practices on a case-by-case basis in courtrooms across other states.
JJS offers representation for those who have been harmed by others in a variety of practice areas. These include:
- Defective pharmaceuticals and medical devices
- Military medical malpractice
- Nursing home negligence
- Organ damage
- Sexual abuse
- Surgical errors
- Wrongful death
Why Choose Janet, Janet & Suggs for Providence, RI, Birth Injury Cases?
Our team of lawyers and medical experts has over forty years of experience securing successful resolutions for victims of birth injury. Our work on life-altering personal injury cases has resulted in historic justice for victims of medical malpractice, sexual assault, and other injuries. However, our long history of record-breaking verdicts and settlements is just one indication of our continued success in getting justice for those who have been harmed.
We have also been recognized by a variety of leading organizations including Best Lawyers®, Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch in America, AV Preeminent Ratings by Martindale-Hubbell, and as one of U.S. News & World Report’s Best Law Firms. Many of our attorneys are also listed as Super Lawyers®. These recognitions from leading organizations reflect our continued commitment to working toward securing our clients’ futures when they have been harmed by medical malpractice.
Contact the birth injury team at Janet Janet & Suggs today for a free, no-obligation consultation.