We Are New York, NY, Birth Injury Attorneys
- Over 40 Years of Experience
- More Than $3 Billion Won for Our Clients
- Thousands of Lives Changed
Victims of birth injury in New York, NY need attorneys who grasp the sensitive nature yet the high stakes of birth injury cases. The medical malpractice division of Janet, Janet & Suggs (JJS) provides just that in the form of a team of experienced lawyers and knowledgeable medical experts. This team understands that birth injury cases, which often have horrific, life-altering consequences for babies and mothers, require representation that is tough on defendants but dedicated to maintaining victims’ dignity. When the tragedy of medical malpractice falls on the most vulnerable patients, those who have been harmed need dedicated, skilled, and experienced legal representation, like the birth injury team at JJS.
FREE CASE REVIEW
Find out today if you are eligible for compensation!
What Should the Injured Look for in a New York, NY, Birth Injury Attorney?
Those who have been harmed in catastrophic birth injury cases will need both personal attention and long-term support from their legal team. Because birth injuries impact babies and mothers in many different ways, proving the full scope of the impact can be challenging. No matter how complex the circumstances, JJS provides personalized attention and dedicated representation for each case we accept. Birth injury cases are not easy on those who have been injured or their families and, unfortunately, they are rarely resolved quickly. This means families need to feel supported, building a strong relationship with their legal team. JJS has become nationally known for over four decades of successful advocacy for those who have been harmed by medical error. JJS knows that whether birth injuries are the result of negligence, recklessness, or outright misconduct on the part of healthcare providers, there are two crucial components on which to build each case.
- Investigating the evidence. JJS collaborates with our network of trusted medical experts to uncover what healthcare provider actions and shortcomings caused the injuries, even uncovering new evidence through our own investigative process.
- Calculating the damages. The damages inflicted upon victims of medical malpractice will of course include medical treatment costs, but the calculable harm inflicted upon victims in birth injury cases goes far beyond even the enormous expense of a lifetime of medical care. These damages include compensation for pain and suffering and a diminished quality of life.
Records requests, expert witnesses, laboratory tests, and other necessary expenses along the way add up quickly when crafting a birth injury case. However, those who have been harmed should never have to worry that the strength of their case rests on the depth of their law firm’s expense account. Far too often, inexperienced and underfunded birth injury law firms encourage their clients to agree to settlements that are unfairly low when they are not financially equipped to take these cases to trial.
How Can Janet, Janet & Suggs Help Victims of Birth Injury?
For over 40 years, JJS attorneys have been advocates for injured clients across New York and the nation, pursuing damages in birth injury cases using our legal and medical knowledge and experience.
- Medical expenses. Medical costs associated with birth injury often quickly add up to far more than what most families will ever be able to afford, even with insurance. Between the costs of inpatient treatment, surgeries, emergency room visits, medication and medical devices, rehabilitative care, and much, much more, the consequences of severe birth injuries generally mean a lifelong financial burden in addition to the physical and emotional toll.
- Lost wages and earning capacity. Catastrophic medical malpractice cases affect one’s ability to earn a living in the future. Birth injury cases can seek to recover compensation for an injured mother’s lost wages or even to compensate infant victims for their future wages lost as a result of the injured child’s lack of future earning capacity.
- Non-economic damages. The consequences of birth injury run deep, often extending far beyond what can be seen on a CT scan or X-ray, or even added up just in hospital receipts. Laws protecting victims of medical malpractice account for non-economic losses in these cases, such as victims’ pain and suffering, reduced quality of life, and emotional distress.
Meet the Leaders of Janet, Janet & Suggs’ Birth Injury Division
Howard Janet has uncovered medical mistakes that other lawyers have missed and represented clients throughout much of the country, recovering record-breaking results. He has authored multiple books, including Navigating a Medical Malpractice Lawsuit, Representing Plaintiffs in Medical Malpractice Cases (lead author), and Patients’ Rights and Doctors’ Wrongs—Secrets to a Safer Pregnancy and Childbirth, which he co-authored with JJS’s Dr. Giles Manley.
Ken Suggs served as president of the Association of Trial Lawyers of America (now known as the American Association of Justice), the leading national plaintiff’s bar association, and has been a relentless advocate for his clients for over 40 years.
Dr. Giles Manley is a board-certified physician who practiced medicine for 20 years before becoming a medical malpractice attorney. He has won a number of seven-figure verdicts on behalf of his clients, combining his medical knowledge and legal experience to secure monumental victories for his clients.
Gerald Jowers represents patients who have been harmed by medical malpractice, pharmaceuticals, and medical devices, recovering extraordinary results for clients and their families at the settlement table and in the courtroom.
What Results Has Janet, Janet & Suggs Achieved for Our Clients?
In over four decades of recovering hundreds of millions in successful verdicts and settlements all across the country, JJS has provided victims of birth injury and their families with hope, healing, and the chance for a secure future.
- $24.25 Million for Failure to Diagnose: Another record-breaking medical malpractice verdict was awarded by a Washington D.C., jury after doctors neglected to diagnose and respond to a child’s airway obstruction, causing her to suffer preventable brain damage and cerebral palsy.
- $33.5 Million for Delayed C-Section: In Tennessee, a jury awarded this record-breaking verdict after determining doctors’ negligent actions in delaying a medically necessary Cesarean section resulted in the baby developing severe brain damage as well as cerebral palsy.
- $18.1 Million for Mismanaged Labor and Delivery: Verdict obtained in Iowa on behalf of a child who developed spastic quadriplegic cerebral palsy after the mother was taken off of continuous electronic fetal monitoring and placed on intermittent monitoring, despite known risk factors.
- $18 Million for Medication Error: This settlement against a pharmacy was for a medical error resulting in the incorrect medication being dispensed to a pregnant mother. Their negligence resulted in her child developing a neural tube defect, which caused paraplegia and other severe injuries
Local Resources for Victims of Birth Injury in New York, NY
Recovering fair compensation for damages in a malpractice suit is an important step in accessing and paying for the care that is needed after a birth injury. However, there are also community resources available that can help victims, as well as their caretakers, in dealing with the life-altering consequences of catastrophic birth injury. These resources can help families connect to others who understand what they are going through and even provide much-needed help while those who have been harmed are awaiting the resolution of their birth injury case.
- Parent to Parent: This non-profit organization provides support and services to caretakers of children with disabilities, including children with cerebral palsy, in a person-centered way.
- NY Office for People With Developmental Disabilities: This state office coordinates care and services for people with disabilities across the state, both by providing services directly and through a network of approximately 500 nonprofit agencies.
- United Cerebral Palsy of New York: This organization provides children with disabilities, such as cerebral palsy, access to early childhood interventions, evaluation services, day school, and rehabilitation services, as well as recreational programs and more.
- Cerebral Palsy Family Network: The Cerebral Palsy Family Network is an online community that provides resources and support to help care for loved ones with cerebral palsy.
Locations We Serve
JJS is proud to offer our birth injury representation for families across the country, including New York City and elsewhere in New York, Maryland, Illinois, Iowa, Minnesota, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Virginia, and Washington D.C. JJS also practices on a case-by-case basis in courtrooms across other states.
JJS also provides legal representation for those who have been injured in a variety of practice areas.
- Medical malpractice
- Brain injuries
- Cancer misdiagnosis or delayed diagnosis
- Cerebral palsy
- Defective pharmaceuticals and medical devices
- Military medical malpractice
- Nursing home negligence
- Organ damage
- Sexual abuse
- Surgical errors
- Wrongful death
Why Choose Janet, Janet & Suggs for New York, NY, Birth Injury Cases?
JJS’s team of lawyers and medical experts has over forty years of experience getting results for victims of birth injuries. Our work on life-altering personal injury cases has resulted in historic justice for victims of medical malpractice, sexual assault, and other injuries. However, our long history of record-breaking verdicts and settlements is just one indication of our continued success in getting justice for those who have been harmed.
We have also been recognized by a variety of leading organizations including Best Lawyers®, Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch in America, AV Preeminent Ratings by Martindale-Hubbell, and as one of U.S. News & World Report’s Best Law Firms. Many of our attorneys are also listed as Super Lawyers®. These recognitions from leading organizations reflect our continued commitment to working toward securing our clients’ futures when they have been harmed by medical malpractice. Contact the birth injury team at Janet Janet & Suggs today for a free, no-obligation consultation.
19 West 44th Street
New York, NY 10036