We Are Prince George's County, MD, Birth Injury Attorneys
- Over 40 Years of Experience
- More Than $3 Billion Won for Our Clients
- Thousands of Lives Changed
When birth injuries are catastrophic, victims need strong but compassionate legal representation to seek recovery for damages. For decades, the medical malpractice division of Janet, Janet & Suggs (JJS) has successfully advocated for victims of birth injuries, and we remain dedicated to maintaining victims’ dignity throughout the process of recovery.
FREE CASE REVIEW
Find out today if you are eligible for compensation!
What Should People Who Have Been Injured Look for in a Prince George's County, MD, Birth Injury Attorney?
Whether birth injuries are the result of negligence, recklessness, or outright misconduct on the part of healthcare providers, JJS provides personalized attention and dedicated service in every case we take on. Our team works to get our clients their maximum recovery, and we have over 40 years of experience delivering historic justice for victims of medical malpractice throughout the United States.
- We investigate the evidence. The discovery phase of a birth injury case starts with the most basic commitment of advocacy: the pursuit of the truth. JJS collaborates with our network of trusted allies to uncover the events and actions that caused the client’s injuries, never ignoring an opportunity to uncover new evidence when necessary. Our thorough investigative process has led to the discovery of crucial evidence that was missed by other firms.
- We calculate the damages. There are countless ways birth injuries impact babies, mothers, and families, and we know that calculable harm goes far beyond just what a lifetime of medical treatment will cost. Victims also need a law firm that can present proof of the full breadth of the impacts of catastrophic birth injury and a firm that is not afraid to go all the way in seeking compensation for pain and suffering and injured victims’ diminished quality of life.
Furthermore, birth injury law firms also must have their own substantial financial resources if they are to fully take on a lengthy recovery process with their clients. Catastrophic birth injury cases can take years to resolve, and it’s not every firm that can stay the course. Far too often, inexperienced and underfunded firms expect their clients to agree to settlements that are unjustly low.
How Can Janet, Janet & Suggs Help Victims of Birth Injury?
JJS works with our network of extensive resources, including expert witnesses, investigators, and our in-house medical experts, to represent injured clients across Iowa and the nation. The damages sustained in birth injury cases extend far beyond what may be apparent to less experienced eyes.
- Medical expenses. Medical costs associated with birth injury often quickly add up to far more than what families can reasonably afford to cover, even with medical insurance. Between the costs of inpatient treatment, surgeries, emergency room visits, medication, medical devices, rehabilitative care, and much, much more, the consequences of serious birth injuries resulting from medical malpractice generally mean a lifelong financial burden that never should have fallen on the victims in the first place.
- Lost wages and earning capacity. In addition to the cost of medical care needed simply to address the physical injuries, catastrophic birth injury cases affect one’s ability to earn a living in the future. JJS can seek to recover damages for an injured mother’s lost wages or even to recover compensation for infant victims’ lack of future earning capacity.
- Non-economic damages. The consequences of birth injury are significant, often extending far beyond what can be seen on a scan or added up in hospital bills. The law accounts for non-economic losses in medical malpractice cases, such as victims’ pain and suffering, reduced quality of life, and emotional distress, and experienced law firms have the knowledge and resources to maximize those damages.
Meet the Leaders of Janet, Janet & Suggs’ Birth Injury Division
Howard Janet has uncovered medical mistakes that other lawyers have missed and represented clients throughout much of the country, recovering record-breaking results. He has authored multiple books, including Navigating a Medical Malpractice Lawsuit, Representing Plaintiffs in Medical Malpractice Cases (lead author), and Patients’ Rights and Doctors’ Wrongs—Secrets to a Safer Pregnancy and Childbirth, which he co-authored with JJS’s Dr. Giles Manley.
Ken Suggs served as president of the Association of Trial Lawyers of America (now known as the American Association of Justice), the leading national plaintiff’s bar association, and has been a relentless advocate for his clients for over 40 years.
Dr. Giles Manley is a board-certified physician who practiced medicine for 20 years before becoming a medical malpractice attorney. He has won a number of seven-figure verdicts on behalf of his clients, combining his medical knowledge and legal experience to secure monumental victories for his clients.
Gerald Jowers represents patients who have been harmed by medical malpractice, pharmaceuticals, and medical devices, recovering extraordinary results for clients and their families at the settlement table and in the courtroom.
What Results Has Janet, Janet & Suggs Achieved for Its Clients?
Over the years, JJS has secured hundreds of millions of dollars on behalf of medical malpractice victims in successful recoveries all across the country, providing families with hope, healing, and the chance for a secure future. Our decades-long support of those harmed by birth injury is apparent in our record-breaking verdicts and settlements.
- $33.5 Million for Delayed C-Section: In Tennessee, a jury awarded this record-breaking verdict after determining doctors’ negligent actions in delaying a medically necessary Cesarean section resulted in the baby developing severe brain damage as well as cerebral palsy.
- $24.25 Million for Failure to Diagnose: Another record-breaking medical malpractice verdict was awarded by a Washington D.C., jury after doctors neglected to diagnose and respond to a child’s airway obstruction, causing her to suffer preventable brain damage and cerebral palsy.
- $18.1 Million for Mismanaged Labor and Delivery: A verdict was obtained in Iowa on behalf of a child who developed spastic quadriplegic cerebral palsy after the mother was taken off of continuous electronic fetal monitoring and placed on intermittent monitoring despite known risk factors.
- $18 Million for Medication Error: This settlement against a pharmacy was for a medical error resulting in the incorrect medication being dispensed to a pregnant mother. Their negligence resulted in her child developing a neural tube defect, which caused paraplegia and other severe injuries.
Local Resources for Victims of Birth Injury in Prince George's County, MD
Before a birth injury case is successfully resolved, and even sometimes afterward, local and community resources can help families adjust to the life-altering consequences of catastrophic birth injury, including connecting them to others who understand what they are going through as well as access to supportive care and equipment.
- Maryland ABLE. This state program supports people with disabilities and their families in navigating the complex landscape of state and federal means-tested benefits.
- Unified Community Connections. This non-profit organization serves and assists children and adults with disabilities, such as cerebral palsy.
- Brain Injury Association of Maryland. This portal provides access to statewide resources, including support groups, for those living with brain injury and their families.
Locations We Serve
JJS is proud to offer birth injury representation for families across the country, including in Prince George’s County and elsewhere in Maryland, Illinois, Iowa, Minnesota, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Virginia, and Washington D.C. JJS also practices on a case-by-case basis in courtrooms across other states.
JJS also provides knowledgeable and experienced legal representation for those who have been harmed by others in a variety of practice areas.
- Medical malpractice
- Brain injuries
- Cancer misdiagnosis or delayed diagnosis
- Cerebral palsy
- Defective pharmaceuticals and medical devices
- Military medical malpractice
- Nursing home negligence
- Organ damage
- Sexual abuse
- Surgical errors
- Wrongful death
Why Choose Janet, Janet & Suggs for Prince George's County, MD, Birth Injury Cases?
JJS is committed to providing security and healing to families affected by catastrophic birth injury. This commitment is evident through JJS’s decades of successful recovery, knowledgeable team of lawyers and medical experts, and substantial legal and medical resources. Our work has resulted in historic justice for those harmed in birth injury cases, but our long history of record-breaking verdicts and settlements is only one indication of our continued successes in getting justice for those who have been injured.
JJS has also been recognized by a variety of leading organizations, including Best Lawyers®, Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch in America, AV Preeminent ratings by Martindale-Hubbell, and as one of U.S. News & World Report’s Best Law Firms. Many of our attorneys are also listed as Super Lawyers®. These recognitions from leading organizations reflect our continued commitment to working toward securing our clients’ futures when they have been harmed by medical malpractice. Contact the birth injury team at Janet, Janet & Suggs today for a free, no-obligation consultation.
4 Reservoir Circle,
Baltimore, MD 21208