We Are Burlington, VT, Birth Injury Attorneys
- Over 40 Years of Experience
- More Than $3 Billion Won for Our Clients
- Thousands of Lives Changed
Victims of birth injury in Burlington, VT, seeking compensation for the malpractice they suffered need representation from a dedicated, skilled, and experienced birth injury law firm who understands the sensitive nature and high stakes of these kinds of cases. The birth injury division of Janet, Janet & Suggs (JJS) treats Burlington birth injury victims with professionalism, compassion, and dignity throughout the process of recovery.
FREE CASE REVIEW
Find out today if you are eligible for compensation.
What Should People Who Have Been Injured Look for in a Burlington, VT, Birth Injury Attorney?
Our legal team has over four decades of experience delivering historic justice for victims of birth injury across the country. Whether these injuries are the result of inexcusable negligence, brash recklessness, or outright misconduct, birth injury cases are never easy on those who have been harmed. In these catastrophic circumstances, maximizing compensation requires a legal team that can investigate and assess the malpractice in order to secure a successful verdict or fair settlement.
- Investigating the injuries. The initial phase of any birth injury case begins with JJS’s pursuit of the truth, even if those responsible have worked to conceal their role in the injuries. We utilize our network of medical professionals, expert witnesses, and professional investigators to uncover the circumstances that led to and even followed the injury. By working to gather all evidence through our own thorough investigative process, we have even uncovered evidence that other law firms missed.
- Building a complete case. Calculating fair and appropriate damages requires a complete understanding of the scope of care required for the rest of a victim’s life. Because birth injury victims often depend on the damages recovered through legal action in order to pay for medical care and maximize their quality of life, we will not cut corners when it comes to fully assessing injuries and estimating costs of care.
The reality of complex injury cases is that they require law firms to have the financial resources to properly build and sustain a strong case. Birth injury cases can take years to resolve, but too often inexperienced and underfunded firms encourage clients to agree to unfairly low settlements if the firm is not equipped to take these cases to trial.
How Can Janet, Janet & Suggs Help Victims of Birth Injury?
JJS and its extensive network of resources, including our in-house medical experts, advocate for those harmed by birth injury right here in Burlington and across the country. These damages that result from birth injury extend far beyond what is immediately obvious in the early stages of the process, so we take the time to understand the full extent of the injury and its lifelong impacts, including:
- Medical expenses. The costs of inpatient treatment, surgeries, emergency room visits, medication, medical devices, and rehabilitative care quickly add up to far more than what families can reasonably afford, even with insurance. The consequences of serious birth injuries that result from medical malpractice generally lead to a lifelong financial burden that never should have fallen on victims in the first place.
- Other care expenses. Other expenses associated with caring for an individual with a significant injury include those that cannot just be found on enormous hospital bills. Adaptive vehicles for transport, home modifications, access to home care, and other necessary care costs may not be covered by insurance or may exceed allowable limits.
- Lost wages and earning capacity. In addition to the cost of care that will be needed to address the injuries caused by negligent medical treatment, trauma of this degree also affects one’s ability to earn a living. JJS works to recover damages for an injured mother’s lost wages or even an injured child’s lack of future earning capacity.
- Non-economic damages. In Vermont, the law allows for victims of medical malpractice to recover damages for harm faced in birth injury and other malpractice cases. Experienced firms like JJS understand how the law accounts for non-economic losses in medical malpractice cases, such as victims’ pain and suffering, reduced quality of life, punitive damages, and emotional distress, allowing us to seek maximum recovery.
Meet the Leaders of Janet, Janet & Suggs’ Birth Injury Division
Howard Janet has uncovered medical mistakes that other lawyers have missed and represented clients throughout much of the country, recovering record-breaking results. He has authored multiple books, including Navigating a Medical Malpractice Lawsuit, Representing Plaintiffs in Medical Malpractice Cases (lead author), and Patients’ Rights and Doctors’ Wrongs—Secrets to a Safer Pregnancy and Childbirth, which he co-authored with JJS’s Dr. Giles Manley.
Ken Suggs served as president of the Association of Trial Lawyers of America (now known as the American Association for Justice), the leading national plaintiff’s bar association, and has been a relentless advocate for his clients for over 40 years.
Dr. Giles Manley is a board-certified OBGYN who practiced medicine for 20 years before becoming a medical malpractice attorney. He has won a number of seven-figure verdicts on behalf of his clients, combining his medical knowledge and legal experience to secure monumental victories for his clients.
Gerald Jowers represents patients who have been harmed by medical malpractice, pharmaceuticals, and medical devices, recovering extraordinary results for clients and their families at the settlement table and in the courtroom.
What Results Has Janet, Janet & Suggs Achieved for Its Clients?
The national recognition JJS has received for our record-breaking verdicts and settlements is testimony to our decades of successful advocacy for victims of birth injury. Over the last forty years, we have recovered hundreds of millions of dollars on behalf of medical malpractice victims all across the United States, providing families with hope, healing, and the chance for a secure future of quality care.
- $33.5 Million for Delayed C-Section: In Tennessee, a jury awarded this record-breaking verdict after determining doctors’ negligent actions in delaying a medically necessary Cesarean section resulted in the baby developing severe brain damage as well as cerebral palsy.
- $24.25 Million for Failure to Diagnose: Another record-breaking medical malpractice verdict was awarded by a Washington, D.C., jury after doctors neglected to diagnose and respond to a child’s airway obstruction, causing her to suffer preventable brain damage and cerebral palsy.
- $18.1 Million for Mismanaged Labor and Delivery: This verdict was obtained in Iowa on behalf of a child who developed spastic quadriplegic cerebral palsy after the mother was taken off of continuous electronic fetal monitoring and placed on intermittent monitoring despite known risk factors.
- $18 Million for Medication Error: This settlement against a pharmacy was for a medical error resulting in the incorrect medication being dispensed to a pregnant mother. Their negligence resulted in her child developing a neural tube defect, which caused paraplegia and other severe injuries.
Local Resources for Victims of Birth Injury in Burlington, VT
Recovering damages in a malpractice suit is one way to access and pay for a network of care and support services, but there are also community resources available that can help victims of birth injury and their caretakers. These community resources can not only help families find and pay for care, but they can also provide avenues of support to families to help deal with the life-altering consequences of catastrophic birth injury and connect with others who understand their experiences.
- Brain Injury Association of Vermont: This organization aims to help victims of brain injury and their families get the support they need.
- Vermont Assistive Technology Program: VATP provides support with assistive technology to individuals with disabilities and other relevant entities. This includes referrals, training, equipment and software demonstrations, tryouts, and technical assistance.
- Cerebral Palsy Family Network: This national resource provides connections to other families impacted by cerebral palsy, along with educational materials.
Locations Janet, Janet & Suggs Serves
JJS is proud to offer our birth injury representation for families across the country, including Burlington and elsewhere in Vermont, Maryland, Illinois, Iowa, Minnesota, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, North Carolina, Virginia, and Washington, D.C. JJS also practices on a case-by-case basis in courtrooms across other states.
JJS offers representation for those who have been harmed by others in a variety of practice areas.
- Defective pharmaceuticals and medical devices
- Military medical malpractice
- Nursing home negligence
- Organ damage
- Sexual abuse
- Surgical errors
- Wrongful death
Why Choose Janet, Janet & Suggs for Burlington, VT, Birth Injury Cases?
Our team of lawyers and medical experts has over forty years of experience getting results for victims of medical malpractice. Our work on life-altering personal injury cases has resulted in historic justice for victims of medical malpractice, sexual assault, and other injuries. However, our long history of record-breaking verdicts and settlements is just one indication of our continued success in getting justice for those who have been harmed.
We have also been recognized by a variety of leading organizations including Best Lawyers®, Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch in America, AV Preeminent Ratings by Martindale-Hubbell, and as one of U.S. News & World Report’s Best Law Firms. Many of our attorneys are also listed as Super Lawyers®. These recognitions from leading organizations reflect our continued commitment to working toward securing our clients’ futures when they have been harmed by medical malpractice. Contact the birth injury team at Janet Janet & Suggs today for a free, no-obligation consultation.