We Are Newark, NJ, Birth Injury Attorneys
- Over 40 Years of Experience
- More Than $3 Billion Won for Our Clients
- Thousands of Lives Changed
When the tragedy of medical malpractice falls on the most vulnerable patients in the form of birth injury, those who have been harmed need dedicated, skilled, and experienced legal representation. Victims of birth injury in Newark, NJ, need attorneys who grasp both the sensitive nature and the high stakes of birth injury cases. The birth injury division of Janet, Janet & Suggs (JJS) offers over 40 years of experience in advocating for victims of medical malpractice, including catastrophic birth injury cases.
FREE CASE REVIEW
Find out today if you are eligible for compensation!
What Should People Who Have Been Seriously Injured Look for in a Newark, NJ, Birth Injury Attorney?
Whether birth injuries are the result of negligence, recklessness, or outright misconduct on the part of healthcare providers, these cases are rarely easy on those who have been injured or their families—unfortunately, they also rarely are resolved quickly, which means families need to feel supported and build a strong relationship with their legal team. JJS provides personalized attention and dedicated representation for each case we accept.
- We investigate the evidence. JJS collaborates with our network of trusted experts to uncover what negligent acts caused the injuries, even uncovering new evidence through our own thorough investigative process. In fact, in previous malpractice cases, our process has even led to the discovery of evidence that other firms initially missed. In short, the discovery phase of a birth injury case starts with JJS’s first commitment to those who have been harmed—our pursuit of the truth.
- We calculate the damages. Birth injury victims who have been harmed by medical malpractice need a law firm with the ability and resources to uncover proof of the substantial impacts of severe birth injury. Victims also need a firm willing to take a case to trial in pursuit of maximum recovery, including compensation for pain, suffering and a diminished quality of life. The damages inflicted upon victims of medical malpractice will of course include medical treatment costs, but JJS understands calculable harm goes far beyond even the enormous expense of a lifetime of medical care.
Furthermore, records requests, expert witnesses, laboratory tests, and other necessary expenses along the way add up quickly when crafting a strong case—victims should never have to worry that the strength of their case rests on the depth of their law firm’s expense account. Far too often, inexperienced and underfunded birth injury law firms encourage their clients to agree to quick settlements that are unfairly low. This generally happens when a firm is not financially equipped to take these cases to trial, and its lawyers want to move on to their next case.
How Can Janet, Janet & Suggs Help Victims of Birth Injury?
With our extensive resources, JJS advocates for injured clients across New Jersey and the nation. The pursuit of damages in birth injury cases requires a firm with the legal and medical knowledge and experience to allow for a deep understanding of the impact these injuries can have on victims’ lives.
- Medical expenses. Medical costs associated with birth injury often quickly add up to far more than what families will ever be able to afford, even with insurance. Between the costs of inpatient treatment, surgeries, emergency room visits, medication, medical devices, rehabilitative care, and much, much more, the consequences of severe birth injuries generally include a lifelong financial burden in addition to the physical and emotional toll.
- Lost wages and earning capacity. Catastrophic medical malpractice cases affect one’s ability to earn a living in the future. Birth injury cases can seek to recover compensation for an injured mother’s lost wages or even to compensate infant victims for their future wages lost as a result of the injured child’s lack of future earning capacity.
- Non-economic damages. The consequences of birth injury run deep, often extending far beyond what can be seen on a CT scan or X-ray or even added up in hospital receipts. Laws protecting victims of medical malpractice account for non-economic losses in medical malpractice cases, such as victims’ pain and suffering, reduced quality of life, and emotional distress.
Meet the Leaders of Janet, Janet & Suggs’ Birth Injury Division
Howard Janet has uncovered medical mistakes that other lawyers have missed and represented clients throughout much of the country, recovering record-breaking results. He has authored multiple books, including Navigating a Medical Malpractice Lawsuit, Representing Plaintiffs in Medical Malpractice Cases (lead author), and Patients’ Rights and Doctors’ Wrongs—Secrets to a Safer Pregnancy and Childbirth, which he co-authored with JJS’s Dr. Giles Manley.
Ken Suggs served as president of the Association of Trial Lawyers of America (now known as the American Association of Justice), the leading national plaintiff’s bar association, and has been a relentless advocate for his clients for over 40 years.
Dr. Giles Manley is a board-certified physician who practiced medicine for 20 years before becoming a medical malpractice attorney. He has won a number of seven-figure verdicts on behalf of his clients, combining his medical knowledge and legal experience to secure monumental victories for his clients.
Gerald Jowers represents patients who have been harmed by medical malpractice, pharmaceuticals, and medical devices, recovering extraordinary results for clients and their families at the settlement table and in the courtroom.
What Results Has Janet, Janet & Suggs Achieved for Its Clients?
JJS’s long-standing advocacy for injured babies and mothers is evident in the national recognition we receive for our record-breaking verdicts and settlements. Over the years, we have recovered hundreds of millions of dollars on behalf of medical malpractice victims in successful recoveries all across the country, providing families with hope, healing, and the chance for a secure future.
- $18 Million for Medication Error: This settlement against a New York pharmacy was for a medical error resulting in the incorrect medication being dispensed to a pregnant mother. Their negligence resulted in her child developing a neural tube defect, which caused paraplegia and other severe injuries.
- $33.5 Million for Delayed C-Section: In Tennessee, a jury awarded this record-breaking verdict after determining doctors’ negligent actions in delaying a medically necessary Cesarean section resulted in the baby developing severe brain damage as well as cerebral palsy.
- $24.25 Million for Failure to Diagnose: Another record-breaking medical malpractice verdict was awarded by a Camden, NJ, jury after doctors neglected to diagnose and respond to a child’s airway obstruction, causing her to suffer preventable brain damage and cerebral palsy.
- $18.1 Million for Mismanaged Labor and Delivery: Verdict obtained in Iowa on behalf of a child who developed spastic quadriplegic cerebral palsy after the mother was taken off of continuous electronic fetal monitoring and placed on intermittent monitoring despite known risk factors.
Local Resources for Victims of Birth Injury in Newark, NJ
Recovering damages in a malpractice suit is an important step in accessing and paying for the care needed after a birth injury, but there are also community resources available that can help victims and their caretakers. These resources can help families deal with the life-altering consequences of catastrophic birth injury, connect to others who understand what they are going through, and even provide much-needed help while awaiting the resolution of their birth injury case.
- Advancing Opportunities. This non-profit organization serves to provide support and services to people with disabilities, including children with cerebral palsy, in a person-centered way.
- Essex County Office for the Disabled. This division of the county health department support those living with disabilities and their families with access to enrichment programs and other services.
- New Jersey Brain Injury Alliance. This portal provides access to support groups—including virtual groups—all over the state for those living with brain injury and their families.
Locations We Serve
Our decades-long history of advocating for those harmed is evident in our record-breaking verdicts and settlements that span the nation. JJS proudly offers representation for families impacted by birth injury in Newark and elsewhere in New Jersey, and across the country, including Maryland, Illinois, Iowa, Minnesota, New York, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Virginia, and Washington, D.C. JJS also practices on a case-by-case basis in courtrooms across other states.
JJS also provides legal representation for those who have been injured in a variety of practice areas.
- Medical malpractice
- Brain injuries
- Cancer misdiagnosis or delayed diagnosis
- Cerebral palsy
- Defective pharmaceuticals and medical devices
- Military medical malpractice
- Nursing home negligence
- Organ damage
- Sexual abuse
- Surgical errors
- Wrongful death
Why Choose Janet, Janet & Suggs for Newark, NJ, Birth Injury Cases?
The birth injury malpractice division at JJS brings those who have been harmed decades of experience, a skillful team of lawyers and medical experts, and access to substantial resources. JJS is proud to have obtained sometimes historic justice for victims of medical malpractice across the country. But our long history of record-breaking verdicts and settlements is just one indication of our successful advocacy on behalf of the injured.
We have also been recognized by a variety of leading organizations including Best Lawyers®, Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch in America, AV Preeminent Ratings by Martindale-Hubbell, and as one of U.S. News & World Report’s Best Law Firms. Many of our attorneys are also listed as Super Lawyers®. These recognitions from leading organizations reflect our continued commitment to working toward securing our clients’ futures when they have been harmed by medical malpractice. Contact the birth injury team at Janet Janet & Suggs today for a free, no-obligation consultation.
100 Horizon Center Blvd.
Hamilton, NJ 08691