We Are Jersey City, NJ, Birth Injury Attorneys
- Over 40 Years of Experience
- More Than $3 Billion Won for Our Clients
- Thousands of Lives Changed
Medical malpractice is a devastating medical and legal tragedy. When this tragedy falls on the most vulnerable patients in the form of birth injury, those who have been harmed need dedicated, skilled, and experienced legal advocates who understand the sensitive nature and high stakes of birth injury cases. The medical malpractice division of Janet, Janet & Suggs (JJS) is made of lawyers and medical experts who understand that cases like these, which have horrific, life-altering consequences for injured babies and mothers, require representation that is tough on defendants but dedicated to maintaining victims’ dignity. Victims of birth injury in Jersey City, NJ, need representation from a law firm like JJS.
FREE CASE REVIEW
Find out today if you are eligible for compensation!
What Should People Who Have Been Injured Look for in a Jersey City, NJ, Birth Injury Attorney?
Families who have been impacted by catastrophic birth injury need both personal attention and long-term support from their legal team. Birth injuries impact babies and mothers in many different ways and proving the full scope of the impact can be challenging. In some cases, injuries are the result of a tangled timeline of negligent actions on the part of one or even many parties. No matter how complex the circumstances, JJS provides personalized attention and dedicated service in every case we take on, and our team works to get our clients their maximum recovery.
Whether birth injuries are the result of negligence, recklessness, or outright misconduct on the part of healthcare providers, these cases are never easy on those who have been injured or their families. JJS has over four decades as successful advocates for those who have been harmed by medical error, and we have delivered historic justice nationwide for birth injury victims.
- We investigate the evidence. JJS collaborates with our network of trusted allies to uncover what events and shortcomings caused the injuries, never shying away from uncovering new evidence through our own investigative process. Our thorough investigations have led to the discovery of evidence and issues that other firms missed. In short, the discovery phase of a birth injury case starts with JJS’s first commitment to those who have been harmed—our pursuit of the truth.
- We calculate the damages. Birth injury victims who have been harmed by medical malpractice need a law firm with the ability and resources to uncover proof of the substantial impacts of severe birth injury. They also need a firm willing to go all the way, including compensation for pain and suffering and a diminished quality of life. The damages inflicted upon victims of medical malpractice will, of course, include medical costs, but JJS understands calculable harm goes far beyond a lifetime of medical care.
Furthermore, records requests, expert witnesses, laboratory tests, and other necessary expenses along the way add up quickly—victims should never have to worry that the strength of their case rests on the depth of their lawyer’s pocketbook. Birth injury law firms must have their own substantial financial resources in order to fully and responsibly undergo the recovery process with their clients.
Catastrophic birth injury cases can take years to resolve. Far too often, inexperienced and underfunded birth injury law firms encourage their clients to agree to settlements that are unfairly low. This generally happens when a firm is not financially equipped to take these cases to trial, especially on a contingency basis, and its lawyers want to move on to their next case quickly.
How Can Janet, Janet & Suggs Help Victims of Birth Injury?
JJS uses its extensive resources to advocate for injured clients across New Jersey and the nation. The full extent of damages inflicted in birth injury cases likely goes beyond what may be apparent to less experienced firms, and the full extent of injuries and their impacts on one’s life takes time, and sometimes more extensive medical evaluation, to become known. Still, the pursuit of damages in birth injury cases requires legal and medical knowledge and experience that allows for a deep understanding of the impact these injuries can have on victims’ lives right from the start.
- Medical expenses. Medical costs associated with birth injury often quickly add up to far more than what families will ever be able to afford, even with insurance. Between the costs of inpatient treatment, surgeries, emergency room visits, medication, medical devices, rehabilitative care, and much, much more, the consequences of severe birth injuries generally lead to a lifelong financial burden in addition to the physical and emotional toll.
- Lost wages and earning capacity. Catastrophic medical malpractice cases affect one’s ability to earn a living in the future. Birth injury cases can seek to recover compensation for an injured mother’s lost wages or even to compensate infant victims for their future wages lost as a result of the injured child’s lack of future earning capacity.
- Non-economic damages. The consequences of birth injury run deep, often extending far beyond what can be seen on a CT scan, X-ray, or hospital receipts. Laws protecting victims of medical malpractice allow for non-economic losses in medical malpractice cases, such as victims’ pain and suffering, reduced quality of life, and emotional distress.
Meet the Leaders of Janet, Janet & Suggs’ Birth Injury Division
Howard Janet has uncovered medical mistakes that other lawyers have missed and represented clients throughout much of the country, recovering record-breaking results. He has authored multiple books, including Navigating a Medical Malpractice Lawsuit, Representing Plaintiffs in Medical Malpractice Cases (lead author), and Patients’ Rights and Doctors’ Wrongs—Secrets to a Safer Pregnancy and Childbirth, which he co-authored with JJS’s Dr. Giles Manley.
Ken Suggs served as president of the Association of Trial Lawyers of America (now known as the American Association of Justice), the leading national plaintiff’s bar association, and has been a relentless advocate for his clients for over 40 years.
Dr. Giles Manley is a board-certified OBGYN who practiced medicine for 20 years before becoming a medical malpractice attorney. He has won a number of seven-figure verdicts on behalf of his clients, combining his medical knowledge and legal experience to secure monumental victories for his clients.
Gerald Jowers represents patients who have been harmed by medical malpractice, pharmaceuticals, and medical devices, recovering extraordinary results for clients and their families at the settlement table and in the courtroom.
What Results Has Janet, Janet & Suggs Achieved for Its Clients?
JJS has recovered hundreds of millions of dollars on behalf of medical malpractice victims in successful recoveries all across the country, providing families with hope, healing, and the chance for a secure future. Our long history of successfully advocating for those harmed in medical malpractice cases, such as birth injuries, is evident in our record-breaking verdicts and settlements.
- $18 Million for Medication Error: This settlement against a New York pharmacy was for a medical error resulting in the incorrect medication being dispensed to a pregnant mother. Their negligence resulted in her child developing a neural tube defect, which caused paraplegia and other severe injuries.
- $33.5 Million for Delayed C-Section: In Tennessee, a jury awarded this record-breaking verdict after determining doctors’ negligent actions in delaying a medically necessary Cesarean section resulted in the baby developing severe brain damage as well as cerebral palsy.
- $24.25 Million for Failure to Diagnose: Another record-breaking medical malpractice verdict was awarded by a Camden, NJ, jury after doctors neglected to diagnose and respond to a child’s airway obstruction, causing her to suffer preventable brain damage and cerebral palsy.
- $18.1 Million for Mismanaged Labor and Delivery: Verdict obtained in Iowa on behalf of a child who developed spastic quadriplegic cerebral palsy after the mother was taken off of continuous electronic fetal monitoring and placed on intermittent monitoring despite known risk factors.
Local Resources for Victims of Birth Injury in Jersey City, NJ
Before, and sometimes even after, the successful resolution of a birth injury case, the kinds of injuries that have been inflicted need more than basic support and care from one’s family doctor. Recovering damages in a malpractice suit is one way to access and pay for this care, but there are also community resources also available that can help victims and their caretakers. These resources can help families deal with the life-altering consequences of catastrophic birth injury, connect to others who understand what they are going through, and even provide help while they are awaiting the resolution of their birth injury case.
- Advancing Opportunities: This non-profit organization serves to provide support and services to people with disabilities, including children with cerebral palsy, in a person-centered way.
- Hudson County Office of Disability Services: This division of the county health department support those living with disabilities and their families with access to enrichment programs and other services.
- New Jersey Brain Injury Alliance: This portal provides access to support groups—including virtual groups—all over the state for those living with brain injury and their families.
Locations We Serve
JJS proudly offers representation for families impacted by birth injury in New Jersey and across the country, including Maryland, Illinois, Iowa, Minnesota, New York, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Virginia, and Washington, D.C., as well as on a case-by-case basis in courtrooms across other states.
JJS also provides legal representation for those who have been harmed in a variety of practice areas.
- Defective pharmaceuticals and medical devices
- Military medical malpractice
- Nursing home negligence
- Organ damage
- Sexual abuse
- Surgical errors
- Wrongful death
Why Choose Janet, Janet & Suggs for Jersey City, NJ, Birth Injury Cases?
We are committed to helping people who have been affected by preventable birth injuries. Our decades of experience, dedicated team of lawyers and medical experts, and substantial resources have helped achieve justice for victims of medical malpractice. However, our long history of record-breaking verdicts and settlements is just one indication of our continued successes in getting justice for those who have been injured.
We have also been recognized by a variety of leading organizations including Best Lawyers®, Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch in America, AV Preeminent Ratings by Martindale-Hubbell, and as one of U.S. News & World Report’s Best Law Firms. Many of our attorneys are also listed as Super Lawyers®. These recognitions from leading organizations reflect our continued commitment to working toward securing our clients’ futures when they have been harmed by medical malpractice. Contact the birth injury team at Janet Janet & Suggs today for a free, no-obligation consultation.
100 Horizon Center Blvd.
Hamilton, NJ 08691