We Are Des Moines, IA, Birth Injury Attorneys
- Over 40 Years of Experience
- More Than $3 Billion Won for Our Clients
- Thousands of Lives Changed
Victims of birth injury in Des Moines, IA, need dedicated, skilled, and experienced legal representation as their family seeks to recover damages for their injuries. Medical malpractice cases that result in birth injury need a legal team that understands the sensitive nature and high stakes of birth injury cases. The birth injury division of Janet, Janet & Suggs (JJS) understands that cases like these, which have devastating, life-altering consequences for injured babies and mothers, require representation by a law firm dedicated to successful recovery while maintaining victims’ dignity.
FREE CASE REVIEW
Find out today if you are eligible for compensation.
What Should People Who Have Been Injured Look for in a Des Moines, IA, Birth Injury Attorney?
JJS has delivered historic justice for patients across the country for over 40 years despite the challenging nature of birth injury cases. JJS knows that whether birth injuries are the result of negligence, recklessness, or outright misconduct on the part of healthcare providers, these cases are never easy on those who have been injured or their families. Unfortunately, these cases rarely are resolved quickly, so families who have been impacted by devastating birth injury need to know they will receive both personal attention and long-term support from their legal team.
In some cases, birth injuries are the result of a tangled web of negligent actions on the part of one or even many parties. No matter how complex the circumstances, JJS provides personalized attention and dedicated service in every case we take on, and our team works to obtain the maximum recovery for our clients, no matter how long it takes to get to the truth.
- We investigate the evidence. The discovery phase of a birth injury case starts with our commitment to those who have been harmed: the pursuit of the truth. JJS collaborates with our network of trusted expert witnesses and investigators to uncover what events and shortcomings caused the injuries, never shying away from uncovering new evidence through our own investigative process. Our thorough investigations have frequently led to the discovery of evidence and issues proving negligence that other firms missed.
- We calculate the damages. There are many different ways in which birth injuries can impact babies and mothers. The damages inflicted upon victims of medical malpractice will, of course, include medical costs, but calculable harm goes far beyond what a lifetime of medical care will cost.
Catastrophic birth injury cases can take years to resolve, and far too often, inexperienced and underfunded birth injury law firms expect clients to agree to settlements that are unjustly low. Often, this rush to settle happens when a firm is not financially equipped to take these cases to trial, especially on a contingency basis, and its lawyers want to move on to their next case quickly.
How Can Janet, Janet & Suggs Help Victims of Birth Injury?
JJS relies on our extensive resources to advocate for injured clients across Iowa and the nation, including our in-house medical experts. The damages sustained in birth injury cases extend beyond what may be apparent to less experienced firms, and the pursuit of fair damages for severe birth injuries requires a medical malpractice firm whose legal and medical knowledge and experience means they have a deep understanding of the extent of the impact these injuries can have on victims’ lives.
- Medical expenses. Medical costs associated with birth injury often quickly add up to far more than what families can reasonably afford to cover, even with medical insurance. Between the costs of inpatient treatment, surgeries, emergency room visits, medication, medical devices, rehabilitative care, and much, much more, the consequences of serious birth injuries resulting from medical malpractice generally mean a lifelong financial burden that never should have fallen on the victims in the first place.
- Lost wages and earning capacity. In addition to the cost of medical care needed simply to address the physical injuries, catastrophic birth injury cases affect one’s ability to earn a living in the future. JJS can seek to recover damages for an injured mother’s lost wages or even to recover compensation for infant victims’ lack of future earning capacity.
- Non-economic damages. The consequences of birth injury are significant, often extending far beyond what can be seen on a scan or added up in hospital bills. The law accounts for non-economic losses in medical malpractice cases, such as victims’ pain and suffering, reduced quality of life, and emotional distress, and experienced law firms have the knowledge and resources to maximize those damages.
Meet the Leaders of Janet, Janet & Suggs’ Birth Injury Division
Howard Janet has uncovered medical mistakes that other lawyers have missed and represented clients throughout much of the country, recovering record-breaking results. He has authored multiple books, including Navigating a Medical Malpractice Lawsuit, Representing Plaintiffs in Medical Malpractice Cases (lead author), and Patients’ Rights and Doctors’ Wrongs—Secrets to a Safer Pregnancy and Childbirth, which he co-authored with JJS’s Dr. Giles Manley.
Ken Suggs served as president of the Association of Trial Lawyers of America (now known as the American Association for Justice), the leading national plaintiff’s bar association, and has been a relentless advocate for his clients for over 40 years.
Dr. Giles Manley is a board-certified OBGYN who practiced medicine for 20 years before becoming a medical malpractice attorney. He has won a number of seven-figure verdicts on behalf of his clients, combining his medical knowledge and legal experience to secure monumental victories for his clients.
Gerald Jowers represents patients who have been harmed by medical malpractice, pharmaceuticals, and medical devices, recovering extraordinary results for clients and their families at the settlement table and in the courtroom.
What Results Has Janet, Janet & Suggs Achieved for Its Clients?
JJS’s long-standing support for the legal rights of injured babies and mothers is apparent in the national recognition we receive for our record-breaking verdicts and settlements. Over the years, we have recovered hundreds of millions of dollars on behalf of medical malpractice victims in successful recoveries all across the country, providing families devastated by birth injury with hope, healing, and the chance for a secure future.
- $18.1 Million for Mismanaged Labor and Delivery: We obtained this verdict in Iowa on behalf of a child who developed spastic quadriplegic cerebral palsy after the mother was taken off of continuous electronic fetal monitoring and placed on intermittent monitoring despite known risk factors.
- $33.5 Million for Delayed C-Section: In Tennessee, a jury awarded this record-breaking verdict after determining doctors’ negligent actions in delaying a medically necessary Cesarean section resulted in the baby developing severe brain damage as well as cerebral palsy.
- $24.25 Million for Failure to Diagnose: Another record-breaking medical malpractice verdict was awarded by a Washington D.C., jury after doctors neglected to diagnose and respond to a child’s airway obstruction, causing her to suffer preventable brain damage and cerebral palsy.
- $18 Million for Medication Error: This settlement against a pharmacy was for a medical error resulting in the incorrect medication being dispensed to a pregnant mother. Their negligence resulted in her child developing a neural tube defect, which caused paraplegia and other severe injuries.
Local Resources for Victims of Birth Injury in Des Moines, IA
Local and community resources can help families deal with the life-altering consequences of catastrophic birth injury, connect to others who understand what they are going through, and even provide help while they are awaiting the resolution of their birth injury case.
- Disability Benefits Iowa: This state program supports people with disabilities and their families in navigating the financial side of accessing disability support.
- ASK Resource Center: This non-profit parent training and information center supports families of childrens with disabilities with the goal of access, empowerment, and acceptance for all.
- Brain Injury Alliance of Iowa: This portal provides access to statewide resources, including support groups, for those living with brain injury and their families.
Locations We Serve
JJS is proud to offer medical malpractice representation for families across the country, including Des Moines and elsewhere in Iowa, Maryland, Illinois, Minnesota, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Virginia, and Washington D.C. JJS also practices on a case-by-case basis in courtrooms across other states.
JJS provides legal representation for those who have been harmed by others in a variety of practice areas.
- Defective pharmaceuticals and medical devices
- Military medical malpractice
- Nursing home negligence
- Organ damage
- Sexual abuse
- Surgical errors
- Wrongful death
Why Choose Janet, Janet & Suggs for Des Moines, IA, Birth Injury Cases?
JJS’s commitment to helping families affected by catastrophic birth injury is clear through our decades of experience, our skillful team of lawyers and medical experts, and our access to substantial legal and medical resources. Our work has resulted in historic justice for those harmed in birth injury cases, but our long history of record-breaking verdicts and settlements is just one indication of our continued successes in getting justice for those who have been injured.
We have also been recognized by a variety of leading organizations including Best Lawyers®, Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch in America, AV Preeminent Ratings by Martindale-Hubbell, and as one of U.S. News & World Report’s Best Law Firms. Many of our attorneys are also listed as Super Lawyers®. These recognitions from leading organizations reflect our continued commitment to working toward securing our clients’ futures when they have been harmed by medical malpractice. Contact the birth injury team at Janet Janet & Suggs today for a free, no-obligation consultation.
699 Walnut Street
Des Moines, IA 50309