We Are Chicago, IL, Birth Injury Attorneys
- Over 40 Years of Experience
- More Than $3 Billion Won for Our Clients
- Thousands of Lives Changed
The birth injury division of Janet, Janet & Suggs (JJS) understands that complex birth injury cases can leave families to deal with expensive, life-altering consequences on their own. Those who have been harmed by birth injury medical malpractice need to partner with a law firm dedicated to maintaining their dignity throughout the process of recovering damages. JJS provides this kind of knowledgeable, experienced, and compassionate representation.
FREE CASE REVIEW
Find out today if you are eligible for compensation.
What Should People Who Have Been Injured Look for in a Chicago, IL, Birth Injury Attorney?
For decades, JJS has successfully fought for the rights of those who have been harmed by catastrophic birth injury. We have over 40 years of experience in delivering successful verdicts and settlements, whether the injuries result from negligence, recklessness, or outright misconduct on the part of healthcare providers. We use this experience to advocate for injured clients across Illinois and the United States, often succeeding where others have not.
- Digging deeply into the evidence. JJS’s discovery phase of a birth injury case starts with a simple but often ignored commitment—the pursuit of the full truth. We work with our network of medical professionals and expert witnesses to uncover what really happened to cause the injury and which parties are responsible for the series of events that led to the injury. In previous cases, our thorough investigative process has even led to the discovery of evidence that other firms initially missed.
- Using medical expertise to calculate damages. The damages inflicted upon victims of medical malpractice will, of course, include extensive medical expenses, but we know the harm done goes far beyond even the costs of a lifetime of medical treatment. Our medical experts, including our in-house OBGYN and nurses, have the experience and knowledge needed to accurately calculate the true cost of future care. We use the full extent of our legal experience to maximize both economic and non-economic losses faced by those we represent.
We also have the capacity to stand up for our clients throughout the entire litigation process. Too often, inexperienced and underfunded malpractice firms encourage clients to take settlements that are unfairly low. A firm that is not financially equipped to take complex medical malpractice cases to trial, especially on a contingency basis, will often want to move on to their next case as quickly as possible.
How Can Janet, Janet & Suggs Help Victims of Birth Injury?
JJS recognizes the pursuit of damages for severe medical injuries requires a deep understanding of the impact these injuries can have on victims’ lives, right from the time of injury.
- Lifetime medical expenses. Medical costs associated with birth injury often quickly add up to far more than what families can reasonably afford, even when they have medical insurance. Families can expect to face expenses associated with what is often a lifetime of inpatient care, surgeries, emergency room visits, prescription medication, medical devices, and rehabilitative care. Unfortunately, the consequences of serious birth injuries resulting from medical malpractice generally mean a lifelong financial commitment that families never should have to face.
- Lost wages and earning capacity. Catastrophic birth injuries affect one’s ability to earn a living in the future. JJS will work to recover financial compensation to account for these losses, such as injured mothers’ lost wages or even for infant victims’ eliminated future wage-earning capacity.
- Non-economic damages. The consequences of birth injury run deep, extending far beyond what can be added up on medical care receipts. Experienced, knowledgeable legal teams understand the impact that recovering non-economic damages can have when it comes to securing clients’ futures. This includes victims’ pain and suffering, reduced quality of life, and emotional distress.
Meet the Leaders of Janet, Janet & Suggs’ Birth Injury Division
Howard Janet has uncovered medical mistakes that other lawyers have missed and represented clients throughout much of the country, recovering record-breaking results. He has authored multiple books, including Navigating a Medical Malpractice Lawsuit, Representing Plaintiffs in Medical Malpractice Cases (lead author), and Patients’ Rights and Doctors’ Wrongs—Secrets to a Safer Pregnancy and Childbirth, which he co-authored with JJS’s Dr. Giles Manley.
Ken Suggs served as president of the Association of Trial Lawyers of America (now known as the American Association for Justice), the leading national plaintiff’s bar association, and has been a relentless advocate for his clients for over 40 years.
Dr. Giles Manley is a board-certified OBGYN who practiced medicine for 20 years before becoming a medical malpractice attorney. He has won a number of seven-figure verdicts on behalf of his clients, combining his medical knowledge and legal experience to secure monumental victories for his clients.
Gerald Jowers represents patients who have been harmed by medical malpractice, pharmaceuticals, and medical devices, recovering extraordinary results for clients and their families at the settlement table and in the courtroom.
What Results Has Janet, Janet & Suggs Achieved for Its Clients?
JJS is a long-standing advocate for patients’ rights, with over 40 years of record-breaking verdicts and settlements. Over the years, JJS has successfully recovered hundreds of millions of dollars on behalf of injury victims in verdicts and settlements across the country, providing families with hope, security, and healing.
- $33.5 Million for Delayed C-Section: In Tennessee, a jury awarded this record-breaking verdict after determining doctors’ negligent actions in delaying a medically necessary Cesarean section resulted in the baby developing severe brain damage as well as cerebral palsy.
- $24.25 Million for Failure to Diagnose: Another record-breaking medical malpractice verdict was awarded by a Washington, D.C., jury after doctors neglected to diagnose and respond to a child’s airway obstruction, causing her to suffer preventable brain damage and cerebral palsy.
- $18.1 Million for Mismanaged Labor and Delivery: This verdict was obtained in Iowa on behalf of a child who developed spastic quadriplegic cerebral palsy after the mother was taken off of continuous electronic fetal monitoring and placed on intermittent monitoring despite known risk factors.
- $18 Million for Medication Error: This settlement against a pharmacy was for a medical error resulting in the incorrect medication being dispensed to a pregnant mother. Their negligence resulted in her child developing a neural tube defect, which caused paraplegia and other severe injuries.
Local Resources for Victims of Birth Injury in Chicago, IL
Birth injury victims in Chicago may find some support in community resources. These organizations have information and support that may help victims and their caretakers navigate the life-altering impacts of catastrophic medical injury. Some may even connect families to others who understand what they are going through or provide assistance and care while they’re awaiting the resolution of their birth injury case.
- State of Illinois Dept of Maternal, Child, & Family Health: This division of the Illinois Department of Health is responsible for the health and well-being of all of Illinois’ mothers, infants, children (including those with special healthcare needs), and their families.
- CP Family Network: This national organization is dedicated to helping families who are impacted by cerebral palsy
- Illinois Brain Injury Support Groups: This portal provides access to support groups all over the state for those living with brain injury and their families.
- Family Support Network of Illinois: The Family Support Network of Illinois works to uncover resources, support, and funding for those living with developmental disabilities.
Locations Janet, Janet & Suggs Serves
JJS is proud to offer medical malpractice representation for families across the country, including Chicago and elsewhere in Illinois, Maryland, Iowa, Minnesota, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, North Carolina, Virginia, and Washington, D.C. JJS also practices on a case-by-case basis in courtrooms across other states.
In addition to representing victims of birth injury, JJS represents victims seeking accountability and recovery in a variety of practice areas.
- Medical malpractice
- Brain injuries
- Cancer misdiagnosis or delayed diagnosis
- Cerebral palsy
- Defective pharmaceuticals and medical devices
- Military medical malpractice
- Nursing home negligence
- Organ damage
- Sexual abuse
- Surgical errors
- Wrongful death
Why Choose Janet, Janet & Suggs for Chicago, IL, Birth Injury Cases?
JJS’s commitment to advocating for those affected by a preventable birth injury is evident in our decades of experience. Our work is powered by our experienced and knowledgeable team of lawyers and medical experts and has resulted in historic justice for victims of malpractice. However, our history of record-breaking verdicts and settlements is just one sign of our continuing success.
We have also been recognized by a variety of leading organizations including Best Lawyers®, Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch in America, AV Preeminent Ratings by Martindale-Hubbell, and as one of U.S. News & World Report’s Best Law Firms. Many of our attorneys are also listed as Super Lawyers®. These recognitions from leading organizations reflect our continued commitment to working toward securing our clients’ futures when they have been harmed by medical malpractice. Contact the birth injury team at Janet Janet & Suggs today for a free, no-obligation consultation.
70 West Madison St.
Three First National Plaza
Chicago, IL 60602