We Are St. Paul, MN, Birth Injury Attorneys
- Over 40 Years of Experience
- More Than $3 Billion Won for Our Clients
- Thousands of Lives Changed
Victims of birth injuries in St. Paul, MN, need dedicated, skilled, and compassionate legal representation in order to get the answers they deserve and the recovery they need to secure their future. The birth injury division of Janet, Janet & Suggs (JJS) understands these complex cases and provides knowledgeable, experienced legal representation.
FREE CASE REVIEW
Find out today if you are eligible for compensation.
What Should People Who Have Been Injured Look for in a St. Paul, MN, Birth Injury Attorney?
We advocate for the rights of babies and mothers who have been harmed, delivering historic justice for patients across the country. Victims impacted by devastating birth injuries need to know they will receive both personal attention and long-term support from their legal team. JJS is backed by over 40 years of medical and legal experience, and we leverage this to advocate for injured clients across Minnesota and the United States.
- We investigate the evidence. Our discovery phase of a birth injury case starts with a simple, but often ignored, commitment: the pursuit of the full truth. We collaborate with our network of trusted experts to uncover what really happened to cause the injury. In previous malpractice cases, our thorough investigative process has even led to the discovery of evidence that other firms missed.
- We calculate all the damages. The damages inflicted upon victims of medical malpractice will of course include medical expenses, but the harm done goes far beyond the costs of a lifetime of medical treatment. Victims harmed by medical negligence need a law firm that has the resources to establish proof of the significant expenses and impacts of severe birth injury, including pain, suffering, and a diminished quality of life.
Birth injury law firms must have substantial financial resources themselves in order to weather the recovery process. Inexperienced and underfunded malpractice firms can encourage quick settlements that are unfairly low. When a firm is not financially equipped to take these cases to trial, especially on a contingency basis, those lawyers often want to move on to their next case—and payday—quickly.
How Can Janet, Janet & Suggs Help Victims of Birth Injury?
We understand that the damages experienced by those who have been harmed in birth injury cases extend beyond what may be readily apparent. Indeed, the pursuit of damages for serious medical injuries requires a deep understanding of the extent to which these injuries can impact victims’ lives.
- Medical expenses. Medical costs associated with birth injury often quickly add up to far more than what families can reasonably afford, even with insurance. The costs of inpatient treatment, surgeries, emergency room visits, medication and medical devices, rehabilitative care, and much, much more generally mean a lifelong financial burden victims should never be forced to bear.
- Lost wages and earning capacity. In addition to the cost of care needed simply to address physical injuries, catastrophic medical malpractice cases affect one’s ability to earn a living in the future. JJS can seek to recover compensation for an injured mother’s lost wages or even compensate infant victims for the future wages that will be lost as a result of the child’s reduced or, quite often, eliminated earning capacity.
- Non-economic damages. The consequences of birth injury run deep and extend far beyond what can be seen on a CT scan or X-ray, or added up in hospital receipts. An experienced firm will account for non-economic losses in their malpractice cases, such as victims’ pain and suffering, reduced quality of life, and emotional distress. JJS’s legal and medical team has the knowledge to fully calculate the immense value of these losses felt by victims, and the experience to prove it.
Meet the Leaders of Janet, Janet & Suggs’ Birth Injury Division
Howard Janet has uncovered medical mistakes that other lawyers have missed and represented clients throughout much of the country, recovering record-breaking results. He has authored multiple books, including Navigating a Medical Malpractice Lawsuit, Representing Plaintiffs in Medical Malpractice Cases (lead author), and Patients’ Rights and Doctors’ Wrongs—Secrets to a Safer Pregnancy and Childbirth, which he co-authored with JJS’s Dr. Giles Manley.
Ken Suggs served as president of the Association of Trial Lawyers of America (now known as the American Association for Justice), the leading national plaintiff’s bar association, and has been a relentless advocate for his clients for over 40 years.
Dr. Giles Manley is a board-certified OBGYN who practiced medicine for 20 years before becoming a medical malpractice attorney. He has won a number of seven-figure verdicts on behalf of his clients, combining his medical knowledge and legal experience to secure monumental victories for his clients.
Gerald Jowers represents patients who have been harmed by medical malpractice, pharmaceuticals, and medical devices, recovering extraordinary results for clients and their families at the settlement table and in the courtroom.
What Results Has Janet, Janet & Suggs Achieved for Its Clients?
Long an advocate for those affected by birth injuries, JJS is nationally recognized for its record-breaking verdicts and settlements. Over the years, JJS has recovered hundreds of millions of dollars on behalf of victims of birth injury in successful recoveries all across the country, providing families with hope, security, and healing.
- $24.25 Million for Failure to Diagnose: Another record-breaking medical malpractice verdict was awarded by a Washington, D.C., jury after doctors neglected to diagnose and respond to a child’s airway obstruction, causing her to suffer preventable brain damage and cerebral palsy.
- $33.5 Million for Delayed C-Section: In Tennessee, a jury awarded this record-breaking verdict after determining doctors’ negligent actions in delaying a medically necessary Cesarean section resulted in the baby developing severe brain damage as well as cerebral palsy.
- $18.1 Million for Mismanaged Labor and Delivery: This verdict was obtained in Iowa on behalf of a child who developed spastic quadriplegic cerebral palsy after the mother was taken off of continuous electronic fetal monitoring and placed on intermittent monitoring despite known risk factors.
- $18 Million for Medication Error: This settlement against a pharmacy was for a medical error resulting in the incorrect medication being dispensed to a pregnant mother. Their negligence resulted in her child developing a neural tube defect, which caused paraplegia and other severe injuries.
Local Resources for Victims of Birth Injury in St. Paul, MN
Even after the successful resolution of a birth injury case, the kinds of catastrophic injuries sustained often mean needing more than simply basic support and care. Recovering damages in a malpractice suit is one way to access this care, but there are also community resources available that can help victims and their caretakers deal with the life-altering impacts of catastrophic injury, connect to others who understand what they are going through, and even provide help while awaiting resolution of their birth injury case.
- Minnesota Board of Medical Practice: The State of Minnesota's system of reporting investigates complaints about the quality of care and harm to patients for a number of different facilities and healthcare provider types.
- Cerebral Palsy Family Network: The Cerebral Palsy Family Network is a caring, compassionate community of families that provides resources and support to help care for loved ones with cerebral palsy.
- Ramsey County Community Resources: Victims of malpractice may need assistance with a number of different services, including mental health counseling through the Walk-In Counseling Center.
Locations We Serve
JJS is proud to offer medical malpractice representation for families across the country, including St. Paul and elsewhere in Minnesota, Maryland, Illinois, Iowa, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, North Carolina, Virginia, and Washington, D.C., as well as on a case-by-case basis in courtrooms across other states.
At JJS, we apply the same level of compassionate, dedicated care that governs our medical malpractice representation to advocate for those who have suffered in a variety of practice areas.
- Medical malpractice
- Brain injuries
- Cancer misdiagnosis or delayed diagnosis
- Cerebral palsy
- Defective pharmaceuticals and medical devices
- Military medical malpractice
- Nursing home negligence
- Organ damage
- Sexual abuse
- Surgical errors
- Wrongful death
Why Choose Janet, Janet & Suggs for St. Paul, MN, Birth Injury Cases?
Our commitment to advocacy for those affected by preventable birth injury is driven by our decades of experience, powered by our team of lawyers and medical experts, and supported by our access to substantial resources. Our work has resulted in historic justice for victims of malpractice. However, our history of record-breaking verdicts and settlements is only one sign of our continued successes in getting clients justice.
We have also been recognized by a variety of leading organizations including Best Lawyers®, Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch in America, AV Preeminent Ratings by Martindale-Hubbell, and as one of U.S. News & World Report’s Best Law Firms. Many of our attorneys are also listed as Super Lawyers®. These recognitions from leading organizations reflect our continued commitment to working toward securing our clients’ futures when they have been harmed by medical malpractice. Contact the birth injury team at Janet Janet & Suggs today for a free, no-obligation consultation.
445 Minnesota Street
St. Paul, MN 55101