We Are Washington, D.C., Birth Injury Attorneys
- Over 40 Years of Experience
- More Than $3 Billion Won for Our Clients
- Thousands of Lives Changed
When medical error results in serious injuries, District of Columbia malpractice victims need a law firm that is experienced, resourceful, and tough—a team of lawyers able to successfully litigate for maximum financial recovery. The medical malpractice division of Janet, Janet & Suggs (JJS) understands that victims of birth injuries in Washington, D.C., need legal support delivered with dignity and respect by professionals who understand the complex journey of seeking justice after injury.
FREE CASE REVIEW
Find out today if you are eligible for compensation!
What Should People Look for in a Washington, D.C., Birth Injury Attorney?
JJS offers victims of birth injuries decades of experience delivering historic justice for those who have suffered as a result of medical providers’ negligence, reckless, or outright gross misconduct. Cases involving severe birth injuries are not easy on plaintiffs, in large part because they are rarely resolved quickly. JJS’ birth injury lawyers are a team committed to advocating relentlessly for clients. In digging deeply to investigate the circumstances of each case, JJS enlists leading industry experts to help investigate clients’ injuries and build strong cases on their behalf.
- Uncovering the evidence: When we build a case against negligent or reckless healthcare providers, our team of professional investigators and medical experts dig deeply, uncovering evidence to prove the extent and causes of the victims’ injury. With our network of trusted experts in medical negligence cases, malpractice victims have a chance to seek not only financial recovery for their injuries, but also to find answers to lingering questions about what happened to them.
- Calculating the damages: JJS’ birth injury attorneys have a deep understanding of the extent of the medical and financial needs of survivors. In establishing the full scope of the damages stemming from the injury, JJS enlists a variety of valuable resources, including our in-house medical experts.
In addition to having knowledge and experience, birth injury law firms must have the financial resources to pursue maximum compensation for damages. Inexperienced, underfunded firms often encourage clients to agree to unfair settlements in the early stages of a lawsuit because they are not financially equipped to take these cases to trial.
How Can Janet, Janet & Suggs Help Victims of Birth Injury?
JJS helps survivors of serious medical malpractice in Washington, D.C., by working to recover damages for the injuries that have been inflicted as a result of medical error. When it comes to significant injury cases, these damages can be extensive.
- Medical expenses. The bills that follow medical errors often include inpatient treatment, surgeries, emergency room visits, medication, medical devices, rehabilitative care, and much more. Serious injuries result in a lifetime of medical needs, including adaptive equipment and ongoing treatments. Malpractice suits can recover financial compensation for past, current, and even future expenses that injured patients should not be responsible for paying.
- Lost wages and earning capacity. Many victims of catastrophic malpractice cases will never be able to earn a living wage, or even enter the workforce. If adult victims are able to return to work, it generally will be in a limited capacity, especially in cases of brain injury.
- Non-economic losses. Medical malpractice lawsuits also allow for injured people to seek damages for their non-economic losses, such as pain and suffering, reduced quality of life, and emotional distress. JJS has the experience and knowledge to accurately calculate the immense value of these non-economic damages.
Meet the Leaders of Janet, Janet & Suggs’ Birth Injury Division
Howard Janet has uncovered medical mistakes that other lawyers have missed and represented clients throughout much of the country, recovering record-breaking results. He has authored multiple books, including Navigating a Medical Malpractice Lawsuit, Representing Plaintiffs in Medical Malpractice Cases (lead author), and Patients’ Rights and Doctors’ Wrongs—Secrets to a Safer Pregnancy and Childbirth, which he co-authored with JJS’s Dr. Giles Manley.
Ken Suggs served as president of the Association of Trial Lawyers of America (now known as the American Association of Justice), the leading national plaintiff’s bar association, and has been a relentless advocate for his clients for over 40 years.
Dr. Giles Manley is a board-certified physician who practiced medicine for 20 years before becoming a medical malpractice attorney. He has won a number of seven-figure verdicts on behalf of his clients, combining his medical knowledge and legal experience to secure monumental victories for his clients.
Gerald Jowers represents patients who have been harmed by medical malpractice, pharmaceuticals, and medical devices, recovering extraordinary results for clients and their families at the settlement table and in the courtroom.
What Results Has Janet, Janet & Suggs Achieved for Our Clients?
JJS has recovered millions on behalf of victims of birth injury in successful settlements and trial verdicts. The lawyers of JJS’s birth injury division have achieved this justice for victims all across the country.
- $24.25 Million for Failure to Diagnose: A record-breaking medical malpractice verdict was awarded by a Washington, D.C., jury after doctors neglected to diagnose and respond to a child’s airway obstruction, causing her to suffer preventable brain damage and cerebral palsy.
- $33.5 Million for Delayed C-Section: In Tennessee, a jury awarded this record-breaking verdict after determining doctors’ negligent actions in delaying a medically necessary Cesarean section resulted in the baby developing severe brain damage as well as cerebral palsy.
- $18 Million for Medication Error: This settlement against a pharmacy was for a medical error resulting in the incorrect medication being dispensed to a pregnant mother. Their negligence resulted in her child developing a neural tube defect, which caused paraplegia and other severe injuries.
- $13 Million for Poor Postoperative Care: A US government-employed medical provider’s negligence resulted in this settlement for a patient who received poor postoperative care, causing cerebral palsy and brain damage.
Local Resources for Victims of Birth Injury in Washington, D.C.
Being seriously injured by birth injury often means needing more than basic support and care. This may include local and state community assistance, especially while awaiting the resolution of a malpractice case.
- D.C. Health: This website lays out the directions for filing a complaint against a Washington, D.C., health professional or facility.
- Services for People with Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities: District of Columbia services for people with IDD, such as those with severe brain injuries, are accessible through the city’s Department of Disability Services.
- Cerebral Palsy Family Network: The Cerebral Palsy Family Network is a caring, compassionate community of families that provides resources and support to help care for loved ones with cerebral palsy.
Locations We Serve
Janet, Janet & Suggs is proud to offer representation for families across the country, including Washington, D.C., Maryland, Illinois, Iowa, Minnesota, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, and Virginia. JJS also practices on a case-by-case basis in courtrooms across other states.
JJS provides legal representation to those who have been harmed by a medical provider or other trusted entity in a variety of practice areas.
- Medical malpractice
- Brain injuries
- Cancer misdiagnosis or delayed diagnosis
- Cerebral palsy
- Defective pharmaceuticals and medical devices
- Military medical malpractice
- Nursing home negligence
- Organ damage
- Sexual abuse
- Surgical errors
- Wrongful death
Why Choose Janet, Janet & Suggs for Washington, D.C., Birth Injury Cases?
JJS’s experience, knowledge, and resources allow for aggressive litigation against negligent providers and institutions. We work to get clients the answers and fair compensation they deserve after being harmed by medical negligence. However, our history of record-breaking verdicts and settlements is only one sign of our continued success.
Additionally, JJS has been recognized by a variety of leading organizations including Best Lawyers®, Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch in America, AV Preeminent Ratings by Martindale-Hubbell, and as one of U.S. News & World Report’s Best Law Firms. Many of our attorneys are also listed as Super Lawyers®. These recognitions from leading organizations reflect our continued commitment to working toward securing our clients’ futures when they have been harmed by medical malpractice. Contact the birth injury team at Janet Janet & Suggs today for a free, no-obligation consultation.
1725 I Street, N.W.
Washington, D.C. 20006