We Are Cedar Rapids, IA, Birth Injury Attorneys
- Over 40 Years of Experience
- More Than $3 Billion Won for Our Clients
- Thousands of Lives Changed
Successful recovery in catastrophic birth injury cases requires a legal team that understands the sensitive nature and high stakes of birth injury cases. The birth injury division of Janet, Janet & Suggs (JJS) is tough on defendants and dedicated to maintaining victims’ dignity throughout the process of recovery.
FREE CASE REVIEW
Find out today if you are eligible for compensation.
What Should People Who Have Been Injured Look for in a Cedar Rapids, IA, Birth Injury Attorney?
Whether birth injuries are the result of negligence, recklessness, or outright misconduct on the part of healthcare providers, these cases are never easy. Unfortunately, birth injury cases also rarely are resolved quickly, so families who have been impacted by a devastating birth injury will want assurance of personal attention and long-term support from their legal team. JJS has over four decades of successful advocacy on behalf of those who have been harmed by medical error, and we have delivered historic justice for patients across the country. Our team works to get our clients their maximum recovery no matter how long it takes to get to the truth.
- We investigate the evidence. The discovery phase of a birth injury case starts with what is our most basic commitment to those who have been harmed: the pursuit of the truth. JJS collaborates with our network of trusted allies, including investigators and other expert witnesses, to uncover the events and actions that caused the injuries, never avoiding the need or opportunity to uncover new evidence through our own investigative process. Our thorough investigations have led to the discovery of evidence that proved negligence, which was missed by other firms.
- We calculate the damages. Birth injuries can impact babies and mothers in a number of ways, with the calculable harm going far beyond just what a lifetime of medical care will cost. The damages inflicted upon victims of medical malpractice will, of course, include medical costs, but victims also need a legal team to present proof of the full breadth of substantial impacts of severe birth injury both for the costs of much-needed care, and to compensate for pain, suffering and injured victims’ diminished quality of life.
Furthermore, birth injury law firms also must have their own substantial financial resources if they are to fully take on the recovery process with their clients, no matter how long it takes to resolve in the client’s favor. Inexperienced and underfunded birth injury law firms expect clients to agree to settlements that are unjustly low. When a firm is not financially equipped to take these cases to trial, especially on a contingency basis, its lawyers will usually want to move on to their next case quickly.
How Can Janet, Janet & Suggs Help Victims of Birth Injury?
JJS relies on our extensive network of resources to represent injured clients across Iowa and the nation, which includes our in-house medical experts. The damages sustained in birth injury cases extend beyond what may be apparent to less experienced firms. The pursuit of recovery in severe birth injury cases requires a medical malpractice firm whose legal and medical knowledge and experience means they have a deep understanding of the extent of the impact these injuries can have on victims’ lives right from the start.
- Medical expenses. Medical costs associated with birth injury often quickly add up to far more than what families can reasonably afford to cover, even with medical insurance. Between the costs of inpatient treatment, surgeries, emergency room visits, medication, medical devices, rehabilitative care, and much, much more, the consequences of serious birth injuries resulting from medical malpractice generally mean a lifelong financial burden that never should have fallen on the victims in the first place.
- Lost wages and earning capacity. In addition to the cost of medical care needed simply to address the physical injuries, catastrophic birth injury cases affect one’s ability to earn a living in the future. JJS can seek to recover damages for an injured mother’s lost wages or even to recover compensation for infant victims’ lack of future earning capacity.
- Non-economic damages. The consequences of birth injury are significant, often extending far beyond what can be seen on a scan or added up in hospital invoices. The law accounts for non-economic losses in medical malpractice cases, such as victims’ pain and suffering, reduced quality of life, and emotional distress, and experienced law firms have the knowledge and resources to maximize those damages.
Meet the Leaders of Janet, Janet & Suggs’ Birth Injury Division
Howard Janet has uncovered medical mistakes that other lawyers have missed and represented clients throughout much of the country, recovering record-breaking results. He has authored multiple books, including Navigating a Medical Malpractice Lawsuit, Representing Plaintiffs in Medical Malpractice Cases (lead author), and Patients’ Rights and Doctors’ Wrongs—Secrets to a Safer Pregnancy and Childbirth, which he co-authored with JJS’s Dr. Giles Manley.
Ken Suggs served as president of the Association of Trial Lawyers of America (now known as the American Association for Justice), the leading national plaintiff’s bar association, and has been a relentless advocate for his clients for over 40 years.
Dr. Giles Manley is a board-certified OBGYN who practiced medicine for 20 years before becoming a medical malpractice attorney. He has won a number of seven-figure verdicts on behalf of his clients, combining his medical knowledge and legal experience to secure monumental victories for his clients.
Gerald Jowers represents patients who have been harmed by medical malpractice, pharmaceuticals, and medical devices, recovering extraordinary results for clients and their families at the settlement table and in the courtroom.
What Results Has Janet, Janet & Suggs Achieved for Its Clients?
JJS’s long-standing support for the rights of babies and mothers harmed by birth injury can be seen in the national recognition we receive for our record-breaking verdicts and settlements. Over more than 40 years, we have secured hundreds of millions of dollars on behalf of medical malpractice victims all across the country, providing families with hope, healing, and the chance for a secure future.
- $18.1 Million for Mismanaged Labor and Delivery: We obtained this verdict in Iowa on behalf of a child who developed spastic quadriplegic cerebral palsy after the mother was taken off of continuous electronic fetal monitoring and placed on intermittent monitoring despite known risk factors.
- $33.5 Million for Delayed C-Section: In Tennessee, a jury awarded this record-breaking verdict after determining doctors’ negligent actions in delaying a medically necessary Cesarean section resulted in the baby developing severe brain damage as well as cerebral palsy.
- $24.25 Million for Failure to Diagnose: Another record-breaking medical malpractice verdict was awarded by a Washington D.C., jury after doctors neglected to diagnose and respond to a child’s airway obstruction, causing her to suffer preventable brain damage and cerebral palsy.
- $18 Million for Medication Error: This settlement against a pharmacy was for a medical error resulting in the incorrect medication being dispensed to a pregnant mother. Their negligence resulted in her child developing a neural tube defect, which caused paraplegia and other severe injuries.
Local Resources for Victims of Birth Injury in Cedar Rapids, IA
Even before a birth injury case is successfully resolved, local and community resources can help families adjust to the life-altering consequences of catastrophic birth injury, including connecting them to others who understand what they are going through.
- Disability Benefits Iowa: This state program supports people with disabilities and their families in navigating the financial side of accessing disability support.
- ASK Resource Center: This non-profit parent training and information center supports families of childrens with disabilities with the goal of access, empowerment, and acceptance for all.
- Brain Injury Alliance of Iowa: This portal provides access to statewide resources, including support groups, for those living with brain injury and their families.
Locations We Serve
JJS is proud to offer medical malpractice representation for families across the country, including Cedar Rapids and elsewhere in Iowa, Maryland, Illinois, Minnesota, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Virginia, and Washington D.C. JJS also practices on a case-by-case basis in courtrooms across other states.
JJS provides legal representation for those who have been injured in a variety of practice areas.
- Defective pharmaceuticals and medical devices
- Military medical malpractice
- Nursing home negligence
- Organ damage
- Sexual abuse
- Surgical errors
- Wrongful death
Why Choose Janet, Janet & Suggs for Cedar Rapids, IA, Birth Injury Cases?
JJS’s dedication to providing an opportunity for security and healing to families affected by catastrophic birth injury is demonstrated through our decades of experience, our skillful team of lawyers and medical experts, and our access to substantial legal and medical resources. Our work has resulted in historic justice for those harmed in birth injury cases, but our long history of record-breaking verdicts and settlements is just one indication of our continued successes in getting justice for those who have been injured.
We have also been recognized by a variety of leading organizations including Best Lawyers®, Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch in America, AV Preeminent Ratings by Martindale-Hubbell, and as one of U.S. News & World Report’s Best Law Firms. Many of our attorneys are also listed as Super Lawyers®. These recognitions from leading organizations reflect our continued commitment to working toward securing our clients’ futures when they have been harmed by medical malpractice. Contact the birth injury team at Janet Janet & Suggs today for a free, no-obligation consultation.
699 Walnut Street
Des Moines, IA 50309