We Are Philadelphia, PA, Birth Injury Attorneys
- Over 40 Years of Experience
- More Than $3 Billion Won for Our Clients
- Thousands of Lives Changed
When families are harmed by birth injury in Philadelphia, PA, they need dedicated, skilled, and experienced legal representation who understands the sensitive nature—and high stakes—of these kinds of medical malpractice cases. The birth injury division of Janet, Janet & Suggs (JJS) handles catastrophic birth injury cases with professionalism and compassion, always treating those who have been affected with dignity throughout the process of recovery.
FREE CASE REVIEW
Find out today if you are eligible for compensation!
What Should People Who Have Been Injured Look for in a Philadelphia, PA, Birth Injury Attorney?
JJS has become nationally known for providing over four decades of advocacy for birth injury victims and, in doing so, our team has delivered historic justice for patients across the country. Whether birth injuries are the result of negligence, recklessness, or outright misconduct on the part of victims’ healthcare providers, these types of cases are never easy on those who have been injured. They rarely are resolved quickly, leaving those who have been impacted with a need to feel assured of long-term personal attention and support from their legal team. No matter how complex the case, the birth injury lawyers at JJS provide consistent, dedicated service in every case we accept, right from the beginning.
- Investigate the circumstances. The discovery phase of a birth injury case begins with JJS’s pursuit of the truth, no matter how hard those responsible have worked to hide it. We collaborate with our network of trusted allies to uncover the events that led to the injury, working to uncover all the details of your case through our own investigations. Our thorough investigative process has led to the discovery of evidence that other malpractice firms missed.
- Calculate the damages. Birth injury victims who have been harmed by catastrophic medical malpractice will likely be dependent on medical and supportive care for the remainder of their lives. They will require fair compensation in order to secure the best quality of life possible. This means those represented by JJS need us to uncover proof of the full extent of the existing and future impacts of the injury.
Skilled representation for birth injury cases also includes not accepting an insufficient settlement because the legal team has run out of the funds needed to pursue the case further. Too often, inexperienced and underfunded firms encourage clients to agree to settlements that are unfairly low if the firm is not financially equipped to take these cases to trial.
How Can Janet, Janet & Suggs Help Victims of Birth Injury?
JJS employs an extensive network of resources to advocate for those harmed by birth injury across Pennsylvania and the rest of the nation. The damages resulting from birth injury cases extend far beyond what may be apparent to less experienced firms. We take the time to understand the full extent of damages and their impacts on victims.
- Medical expenses. The costs of inpatient treatment, surgeries, emergency room visits, medication, medical devices, and rehabilitative care often result in costs that quickly add up to far more than what families can reasonably afford, even with insurance. The consequences of serious birth injuries resulting from medical malpractice generally mean a lifelong financial burden and the stress of having to find the funds to cover those costs, which never should have fallen on victims in the first place.
- Other care expenses. The expenses associated with caring for an individual with significant injury are not just what can be added up by hospital invoices. Retrofitting vehicles for transport, access to home care, and other necessary care costs may not be covered by insurance or may exceed allowable limits.
- Lost wages and earning capacity. In addition to the cost of care needed simply to address the injuries caused by negligent care, medical malpractice of this degree affects one’s future ability to earn a living. JJS can work to recover damages for an injured mother’s lost wages or even an injured child’s lack of future earning capacity.
- Non-economic damages. The law allows for victims of medical malpractice to recover damages for harm faced in birth injury and other malpractice cases. Experienced firms like JJS understand how the law accounts for non-economic losses in medical malpractice cases, such as victims’ pain and suffering, reduced quality of life, punitive damages, and emotional distress, allowing us to seek maximum recovery.
Meet the Leaders of Janet, Janet & Suggs’ Birth Injury Division
Howard Janet has uncovered medical mistakes that other lawyers have missed and represented clients throughout much of the country, recovering record-breaking results. He has authored multiple books, including Navigating a Medical Malpractice Lawsuit, Representing Plaintiffs in Medical Malpractice Cases (lead author), and Patients’ Rights and Doctors’ Wrongs—Secrets to a Safer Pregnancy and Childbirth, which he co-authored with JJS’s Dr. Giles Manley.
Ken Suggs served as president of the Association of Trial Lawyers of America (now known as the American Association of Justice), the leading national plaintiff’s bar association, and has been a relentless advocate for his clients for over 40 years.
Dr. Giles Manley is a board-certified OBGYN who practiced medicine for 20 years before becoming a medical malpractice attorney. He has won a number of seven-figure verdicts on behalf of his clients, combining his medical knowledge and legal experience to secure monumental victories for his clients.
Gerald Jowers represents patients who have been harmed by medical malpractice, pharmaceuticals, and medical devices, recovering extraordinary results for clients and their families at the settlement table and in the courtroom.
What Results Has Janet, Janet & Suggs Achieved for Our Clients?
The national recognition we have received for our record-breaking verdicts and settlements is testimony to JJS’s decades of advocacy for victims of birth injury. Over the last forty years, we have recovered hundreds of millions of dollars on behalf of medical malpractice victims in successful recoveries all across the country, providing families with hope, healing, and the chance for a secure future of quality care.
- $33.5 Million for Delayed C-Section: In Tennessee, a jury awarded this record-breaking verdict after determining doctors’ negligent actions in delaying a medically necessary Cesarean section resulted in the baby developing severe brain damage as well as cerebral palsy.
- $24.25 Million for Failure to Diagnose: Another record-breaking medical malpractice verdict was awarded by a Washington D.C., jury after doctors neglected to diagnose and respond to a child’s airway obstruction, causing her to suffer preventable brain damage and cerebral palsy.
- $18.1 Million for Mismanaged Labor and Delivery: This verdict was obtained in Iowa on behalf of a child who developed spastic quadriplegic cerebral palsy after the mother was taken off of continuous electronic fetal monitoring and placed on intermittent monitoring despite known risk factors.
- $18 Million for Medication Error: This settlement against a New York pharmacy was for a medical error resulting in the incorrect medication being dispensed to a pregnant mother. Their negligence resulted in her child developing a neural tube defect, which caused paraplegia and other severe injuries.
Local Resources for Victims of Birth Injury in Philadelphia, PA
The kinds of injuries that are inflicted in these cases need more than one family or physician can provide. Recovering damages in a malpractice suit is one way to access and pay for a network of care, but there are also community resources available that can help victims of birth injury and their caretakers. These resources can not only help families pay for the care needed but can provide avenues of support to help deal with the life-altering consequences of catastrophic birth injury and connect with others who understand what they are going through.
- Services for Persons with Disabilities: These support programs are offered through different state agencies and county organizations, providing help to persons with disabilities in a number of areas, from in-home care to voting assistance.
- Alleghenies United Cerebral Palsy Coordination: Not just for families of children with cerebral palsy, UCP serves to assist people with disabilities in meeting basic needs and enhancing quality of life while promoting independence.
- Brain Injury Association of Pennsylvania: This portal provides access to support groups—including virtual groups—all over the state through an inclusive community of education, advocacy, support, and research that serves to maximize the quality of life for those with brain injuries and their families.
Locations We Serve
JJS is proud to offer birth injury representation for families across the country, including Philadelphia and elsewhere in Pennsylvania, Maryland, Illinois, Iowa, Minnesota, New Jersey, New York, South Carolina, North Carolina, Virginia, and Washington, D.C. JJS also practices on a case-by-case basis in courtrooms across other states.
JJS provides legal representation for those who have been harmed by others in a variety of practice areas.
- Medical malpractice
- Brain injuries
- Cancer misdiagnosis or delayed diagnosis
- Cerebral palsy
- Defective pharmaceuticals and medical devices
- Military medical malpractice
- Nursing home negligence
- Organ damage
- Sexual abuse
- Surgical errors
- Wrongful death
Why Choose Janet, Janet & Suggs for Philadelphia, PA, Birth Injury Cases?
JJS is committed to helping people who are harmed by preventable birth injuries. Our team of lawyers and medical experts has over forty years of experience holding those who have harmed others responsible in civil cases where other firms often could not achieve results. Our work on expansive personal injury cases has resulted in historic justice for victims of medical malpractice, sexual assault, and other injuries, but our long history of record-breaking verdicts and settlements is just one indication of our continued success in getting justice for those who have been harmed.
We have also been recognized by a variety of leading organizations including Best Lawyers®, Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch in America, AV Preeminent Ratings by Martindale-Hubbell, and as one of U.S. News & World Report’s Best Law Firms. Many of our attorneys are also listed as Super Lawyers®. These recognitions from leading organizations reflect our continued commitment to working toward securing our clients’ futures when they have been harmed by medical malpractice. Contact the birth injury team at Janet Janet & Suggs today for a free, no-obligation consultation.
1500 Market Street
12th Floor, East Tower
Philadelphia, PA 19102