We Are Minneapolis, MN, Birth Injury Attorneys
- Over 40 Years of Experience
- More Than $3 Billion Won for Our Clients
- Thousands of Lives Changed
Victims of birth injury in Minneapolis, MN, who are seeking recovery need legal representation from a dedicated, skilled, and experienced medical malpractice law firm. Victims need a firm who understands the sensitive nature—and high stakes—of their cases. The birth injury division of Janet, Janet & Suggs (JJS) treats Minneapolis birth injury victims with professionalism, compassion, and dignity throughout the process of recovery.
FREE CASE REVIEW
Find out today if you are eligible for compensation.
What Should People Who Have Been Injured Look for in a Minneapolis, MN, Birth Injury Attorney?
JJS has decades of experience in successfully advocating for the rights of babies and mothers who have been harmed by medical malpractice, and we have achieved historic justice for victims across the country. Whether birth injuries are the result of negligence, recklessness, or outright misconduct on the part of healthcare providers, these cases are rarely easy on those who have been injured or their families. JJS’s birth injury team is driven by over 40 years of medical and legal experience. We know birth injuries can impact babies and mothers in many different ways, and in some cases are the result of a tangled timeline of negligent actions on the part of one or even many parties.
- We investigate the evidence. The discovery phase of a birth injury case starts with our simple, but often ignored by others, commitment to those who have been harmed: the pursuit of the truth. JJS works collaboratively with our network of trusted allies to uncover what events and shortcomings caused the injuries. In previous malpractice cases, our thorough investigative process has even led to the discovery of evidence that other firms initially missed.
- We calculate all the damages. The damages inflicted upon victims of medical malpractice will, of course, include their medical bills, but calculable harm goes far beyond the monetary costs of a lifetime of medical care. Victims harmed by medical malpractice need a law firm that has the resources to uncover proof of the significant expenses and substantial impacts of severe birth injury. They also need a firm that is not afraid to go all the way in including compensation for pain and suffering and a diminished quality of life.
Furthermore, the investigation into a birth injury case, however crucial, is only one part of the important work medical malpractice lawyers do for those who have been harmed. Far too often, inexperienced and underfunded medical malpractice firms encourage settlements that are unfairly low early in the process. This happens when a firm is not financially equipped to take these cases to trial, especially on a contingency basis, and those lawyers want to move on to their next case quickly.
How Can Janet, Janet & Suggs Help Victims of Birth Injury?
JJS leverages our legal and medical knowledge and experience to advocate for injured clients across Minneapolis and the nation. Our pursuit of damages for these severe medical injuries requires teams who have a deep understanding of the extent of the impact these injuries can have on victims’ lives right from the start.
- Medical expenses. Medical costs associated with birth injury often quickly add up to far more than what families can reasonably afford, even with insurance. Between the costs of inpatient treatment, surgeries, emergency room visits, medication and medical devices, rehabilitative care, and much, much more, the consequences of serious birth injuries resulting from medical malpractice generally mean a lifelong financial burden that never should have fallen on clients in the first place.
- Lost wages and earning capacity. In addition to the cost of care needed simply to address the physical injuries, catastrophic medical malpractice cases affect one’s ability to earn a living in the future. JJS can seek to recover compensation for an injured mother’s lost wages or even compensate infant victims for their future wages lost as a result of the injured child’s reduced or, quite often, eliminated earning capacity.
- Non-economic damages. The consequences of birth injury run deep, often extending far beyond what can be seen on a CT scan or X-ray or added up in hospital receipts. Experienced firms like JJS account for non-economic losses in medical malpractice cases, such as victims’ pain and suffering, reduced quality of life, and emotional distress. JJS’s legal team knows how to fully calculate the immense value of these losses that are felt by victims, and we have the trial experience to prove it to a jury.
Meet the Leaders of Janet, Janet & Suggs’ Birth Injury Division
Howard Janet has uncovered medical mistakes that other lawyers have missed and represented clients throughout much of the country, recovering record-breaking results. He has authored multiple books, including Navigating a Medical Malpractice Lawsuit, Representing Plaintiffs in Medical Malpractice Cases (lead author), and Patients’ Rights and Doctors’ Wrongs—Secrets to a Safer Pregnancy and Childbirth, which he co-authored with JJS’s Dr. Giles Manley.
Ken Suggs served as president of the Association of Trial Lawyers of America (now known as the American Association for Justice), the leading national plaintiff’s bar association, and has been a relentless advocate for his clients for over 40 years.
Dr. Giles Manley is a board-certified OBGYN who practiced medicine for 20 years before becoming a medical malpractice attorney. He has won a number of seven-figure verdicts on behalf of his clients, combining his medical knowledge and legal experience to secure monumental victories for his clients.
Gerald Jowers represents patients who have been harmed by medical malpractice, pharmaceuticals, and medical devices, recovering extraordinary results for clients and their families at the settlement table and in the courtroom.
What Results Has Janet, Janet & Suggs Achieved for Our Clients?
JJS has long been an advocate for those impacted by birth injuries, and this is evident in our record-breaking verdicts and settlements. Over the years, we have recovered hundreds of millions of dollars on behalf of victims in successful recoveries all across the country, providing families with hope, healing, and the chance for a secure future.
- $24.25 Million for Failure to Diagnose: Another record-breaking medical malpractice verdict was awarded by a Washington D.C., jury after doctors neglected to diagnose and respond to a child’s airway obstruction, causing her to suffer preventable brain damage and cerebral palsy.
- $33.5 Million for Delayed C-Section: In Tennessee, a jury awarded this record-breaking verdict after determining doctors’ negligent actions in delaying a medically necessary Cesarean section resulted in the baby developing severe brain damage as well as cerebral palsy.
- $18.1 Million for Mismanaged Labor and Delivery: Verdict obtained in Iowa on behalf of a child who developed spastic quadriplegic cerebral palsy after the mother was taken off of continuous electronic fetal monitoring and placed on intermittent monitoring despite known risk factors.
- $18 Million for Medication Error: This settlement against a pharmacy was for a medical error resulting in the incorrect medication being dispensed to a pregnant mother. Their negligence resulted in her child developing a neural tube defect, which caused paraplegia and other severe injuries.
Local Resources for Victims of Birth Injury in Minneapolis, MN
Before, and sometimes even after, the successful resolution of a birth injury case, the kinds of injuries that have been inflicted mean needing more than simply basic support and care from one’s family doctor. Recovering damages in a malpractice suit is one way to access and pay for this care, but there are also community resources also available that can help victims and their caretakers. These resources can help families deal with the life-altering consequences of catastrophic birth injury, connect to others who understand what they are going through, and even provide help while they are awaiting the resolution of their birth injury case.
- Disability Linkage Line: This is a free state-wide information, referral, and assistance service that can connect people with disabilities and chronic illnesses to community services through Medicare Savings Programs.
- MN Family Home Visiting Program: This program can support families in need in adjusting to life with a child with disabilities in the face of challenges.
- Minnesota Brain Injury Support Groups: This portal provides access to support groups all over the state for those living with brain injury and their families.
Locations We Serve
JJS is proud to offer medical malpractice representation for families across the country, including in Minneapolis and elsewhere in Minnesota, Maryland, Illinois, Iowa, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, North Carolina, Virginia, and Washington, D.C., as well as on a case-by-case basis in courtrooms across other states.
JJS provides legal representation for those who have been harmed by others in a variety of practice areas.
- Medical malpractice
- Brain injuries
- Cancer misdiagnosis or delayed diagnosis
- Cerebral palsy
- Defective pharmaceuticals and medical devices
- Military medical malpractice
- Nursing home negligence
- Organ damage
- Sexual abuse
- Surgical errors
- Wrongful death
Why Choose Janet, Janet & Suggs for Minneapolis, MN, Birth Injury Cases?
JJS’s team of lawyers and medical experts has over forty years of experience getting results for victims of medical malpractice. Our work on life-altering personal injury cases has resulted in historic justice for victims of medical malpractice, sexual assault, and other injuries. However, our long history of record-breaking verdicts and settlements is just one indication of our continued success in getting justice for those who have been harmed.
We have also been recognized by a variety of leading organizations including Best Lawyers®, Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch in America, AV Preeminent Ratings by Martindale-Hubbell, and as one of U.S. News & World Report’s Best Law Firms. Many of our attorneys are also listed as Super Lawyers®. These recognitions from leading organizations reflect our continued commitment to working toward securing our clients’ futures when they have been harmed by medical malpractice. Contact the birth injury team at Janet Janet & Suggs today for a free, no-obligation consultation.
100 South Fifth Street
Minneapolis, MN 55402