Howard A. Janet
- 2015 Lawyer of the Year – Maryland Association for Justice
- Best Lawyers® 2015 Lawyer of the Year – Product Liability Litigation, Plaintiffs – Baltimore, MD
- Best Lawyers® 2012 Lawyer of the Year – Personal Injury Litigation, Plaintiffs – Baltimore, MD
- Maryland Super Lawyers® 2007-2016
- The Best Lawyers in America®
- Martindale-Hubbell® AV® Preeminent™
Making a Difference in Birth Injury and other Medical Malpractice Cases
Howard A. Janet, Esq. is recognized as one of the nation’s preeminent medical malpractice attorneys, widely known for his aggressive, passionate representation of children who develop cerebral palsy (CP) as the result of preventable birth injuries.
More than 20,000 families have consulted Mr. Janet about potential cerebral palsy cases. He and his nationally acclaimed law firm, Janet Jenner & Suggs, LLC (which includes an in-house board certified obstetrician-gynecologist), have a proven record of identifying cases in which avoidable medical errors have led to children’s CP. When he is sufficiently confident a birth injury or other medical malpractice case has merit, Mr. Janet tirelessly seeks the full measure of justice the case demands.
That tenacity, along with a tremendous body of accumulated knowledge and exceptional trial skills, has produced an extraordinary string of precedent-setting results for Mr. Janet’s clients, both in the courtroom and at the settlement table. In Minnesota, he broke the record twice for the largest birth injury award handed down by a jury. In Washington D.C., his verdict in a cerebral palsy case more than doubled the highest jury award in any previous medical malpractice action. All told, Mr. Janet and his firm have won hundreds of millions of dollars in verdicts and settlement victories for their clients. But Mr. Janet knows it is not the amount of money he obtains for his clients, especially in birth injury cases, that is the true measure of success. Instead, it is what the money can do – ensure peace of mind and dramatically improve the quality of life for the injured children and their families.
Mr. Janet’s efforts on behalf of medical malpractice clients have extended beyond the trial court level. His appellate victories have lengthened the statute of limitations for patients victimized by fraudulent physicians and expanded the rights of children to be compensated for their injuries.
Founding a Major Non-Profit Cerebral Palsy Network
Mr. Janet’s commitment to helping children with cerebral palsy, regardless of the cause, inspired him to help found and provide ongoing support for the Cerebral Palsy Family Network, a non-profit organization that provides extensive services to families of children diagnosed with CP. It is now the largest Internet-based organization in the world providing resources and birth injury information to families touched by cerebral palsy.
More Areas of Legal Excellence
Mr. Janet’s expertise and success in complex civil litigation extends to cases involving dangerous medications and defective medical devices, sexual abuse, financial fraud, and environmental contamination. Some recent notable achievements in these practice areas include:
- A $190 million class action settlement against The Johns Hopkins Hospital reached in summer 2014 on behalf of more than 9,000 women alleging that an obstetrician-gynecologist employed by the hospital secretly photographed and videotaped his patients’ pelvic exams;
- A $95 million settlement on behalf of a client who blew the whistle on widespread mortgage foreclosure fraud;
- Representation of the plaintiff known as Victim 6 in the Sandusky/Penn State scandal;
- Environmental class action lawsuits in Nevada and New Jersey aimed at forcing corporations to compensate victims of improper toxic waste disposal; and
- Appointment as special counsel for the State of New Jersey in New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection v. Exxon Mobil Corporation.
Recognition from Leading Attorney Rating Organizations
The most respected attorney rating organizations have taken note of Mr. Janet’s skills and accomplishments. Martindale-Hubbell® has repeatedly awarded him its highest possible rating (AV) for legal ability and professional ethics. The Best Lawyers in America® and Super Lawyers® have consistently identified him as one of the nation’s top attorneys. Mr. Janet was distinguished by The Best Lawyers in America® as a “2012 Lawyer of the Year in Personal Injury Litigation – Plaintiffs” and as a “2015 Lawyer of the Year in Product Liability Litigation − Plaintiffs.” He is included among the ranks of The National Trial Lawyers® Top 100.
Leader of a Preeminent Law Firm
As founding and managing partner of Janet, Jenner & Suggs, LLC (JJ&S), Mr. Janet has led his firm to national prominence. Among the firm’s recognitions:
- Preeminent, the highest classification available from the gold standard of attorney and law firm rating organizations, Martindale-Hubbell®;
- National Tier 1 law firm ranking in “Medical Malpractice Law – Plaintiffs” and “Product Liability Litigation – Plaintiffs” from U.S. News & World Report in the last year the organization offered national rankings in these categories; and
- Metropolitan Tier 1 law firm ranking in “Medical Malpractice Law – Plaintiffs,” “Product Liability Litigation – Plaintiffs” and “Personal Injury Litigation – Plaintiffs” from U.S. News & World Report.
Media Recognition of Extraordinary Cases
Many of Mr. Janet’s cases have drawn attention from national media, including The New York Times, the Los Angeles Times, The Wall Street Journal, The Washington Post, Jet Magazine, ABC, CBS, NBC, CNN, ESPN, and news and interview programs such as Anderson Cooper 360 and Piers Morgan Tonight.
Publications and Presentations: Educating Lawyers, Patients, and Victims of Medical Errors
Mr. Janet is an author on the subject of medical malpractice for Thomson Reuters’ West Services Inc. In 2014, the company’s affiliate, Aspatore, published his book, "Quick Prep: Navigating a Medical Malpractice Lawsuit — What You Need to Know."
In 2013, Mr. Janet authored the lead chapter of "Inside the Minds: Representing Plaintiffs in Medical Malpractice Cases," another book published by Aspatore.
His other writings include “The Power of Knowledge: How Electronic Fetal Monitoring Can Prevent Cerebral Palsy,” published in Cerebral Palsy Magazine.
Mr. Janet, and firm partner Giles Manley, also authored the book “Patients’ Rights and Doctors’ Wrongs – Secrets to a Safer Pregnancy and Childbirth.” The book encourages expectant mothers to take an informed and proactive approach to pregnancy care to help make sure they and their babies receive the care they deserve.
His presentations to fellow attorneys include “Maximizing Your Results in a Medical Malpractice Case,” “Birth Injuries and Brain Damage: Legal and Ethical Implications,” “Wrongful Death,” and “Settling a Medical or Legal Malpractice Case Before Suit.” Mr. Janet served on the National Legal Education Advisory Committee of the American Bar Association Program entitled, “The Experts Analyze Brain Damaged Baby Cases.”
Practicing Nationwide with Court Approval
Mr. Janet has been granted special permission to represent clients in dozens of states. He has been a member of the Maryland Bar since 1979. Collectively, lawyers with Janet, Jenner & Suggs, LLC are members of the bar of more than ten states and Washington, D.C.
Janet, Jenner & Suggs LLC maintains primary offices in Baltimore, Maryland; Boston, Massachusetts; New York, New York; Philadelphia, Pennsylvania; Columbia, South Carolina; and Washington, D.C. The firm has satellite offices in Asheville, North Carolina; Atlanta, Georgia; and Saint Paul, Minnesota.
- University of Baltimore School of Law, J.D. – 1978 (cum laude) Heuisler Honor Society
- University of Maryland, B.S. – 1976; Kappa Tau Alpha (Journalism Honor Society)
- Maryland Bar
- U.S. District Court for District of Maryland
- Maryland Trial Lawyers Association*, Past Governor
- Maryland Trial Lawyers Association* President’s Club, Founding Member
- Gary I. Strausberg Foundation, Inc., Past President
- American Association of Justice, Member
*Now known as Maryland Association for Justice