Howard A. Janet
- 2015 Lawyer of the Year – Maryland Association for Justice
- The Best Lawyers in America® 2018 Lawyer of the Year – Personal Injury Litigation, Plaintiffs – Baltimore, MD
- The Best Lawyers in America® 2015 Lawyer of the Year – Product Liability Litigation, Plaintiffs – Baltimore, MD
- The Best Lawyers in America® 2012 Lawyer of the Year – Personal Injury Litigation, Plaintiffs – Baltimore, MD
- Maryland Super Lawyers® 2007-2018
- The Best Lawyers in America®
- Martindale-Hubbell® AV® Preeminent™
MAKING A DIFFERENCE IN BIRTH INJURY AND OTHER MEDICAL MALPRACTICE CASES
Howard A. Janet, Esq. is recognized as one of the nation’s preeminent medical malpractice attorneys, widely known for his aggressive, passionate representation of children who develop cerebral palsy (CP) as the result of preventable birth injuries.
More than 20,000 families have consulted Mr. Janet about potential cerebral palsy cases. He and his nationally acclaimed law firm, Janet Jenner & Suggs, LLC (which includes an in-house board certified obstetrician-gynecologist), have a proven record of identifying cases in which avoidable medical errors have led to children’s CP. When he is sufficiently confident a birth injury or other medical malpractice case has merit, Mr. Janet tirelessly seeks the full measure of justice the case demands.
That tenacity, along with a tremendous body of accumulated knowledge and exceptional trial skills, has produced an extraordinary string of precedent-setting results for Mr. Janet’s clients, both in the courtroom and at the settlement table. In Minnesota, he broke the record twice for the largest birth injury award handed down by a jury. In Washington D.C., his verdict in a cerebral palsy case more than doubled the highest jury award in any previous medical malpractice action. All told, Mr. Janet and his firm have won hundreds of millions of dollars in verdicts and settlement victories for their clients. But Mr. Janet knows it is not the amount of money he obtains for his clients, especially in birth injury cases, that is the true measure of success. Instead, it is what the money can do – ensure peace of mind and dramatically improve the quality of life for the injured children and their families.
Mr. Janet’s efforts on behalf of medical malpractice clients have extended beyond the trial court level. His appellate victories have lengthened the statute of limitations for patients victimized by fraudulent physicians and expanded the rights of children to be compensated for their injuries.
FOUNDING A MAJOR NON-PROFIT CEREBRAL PALSY NETWORK
Mr. Janet’s commitment to helping children with cerebral palsy, regardless of the cause, inspired him to help found and provide ongoing support for the Cerebral Palsy Family Network, a non-profit organization that provides extensive services to families of children diagnosed with CP. It is now the largest Internet-based organization in the world providing resources and birth injury information to families touched by cerebral palsy.
MORE AREAS OF LEGAL EXCELLENCE
Mr. Janet’s expertise and success in complex civil litigation extends to cases involving dangerous medications and defective medical devices, sexual abuse, financial fraud, and environmental contamination. Some recent notable achievements in these practice areas include:
- A $190 million class action settlement against The Johns Hopkins Hospital reached in summer 2014 on behalf of more than 9,000 women alleging that an obstetrician-gynecologist employed by the hospital secretly photographed and videotaped his patients’ pelvic exams;
- A $95 million settlement on behalf of a client who blew the whistle on widespread mortgage foreclosure fraud;
- Representation of the plaintiff known as Victim 6 in the Sandusky/Penn State scandal;
- Environmental class action lawsuits in Nevada and New Jersey aimed at forcing corporations to compensate victims of improper toxic waste disposal; and
- Appointment as special counsel for the State of New Jersey in New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection v. Exxon Mobil Corporation.
RECOGNITION FROM LEADING ATTORNEY RATING ORGANIZATIONS
The most respected attorney rating organizations have taken note of Mr. Janet’s skills and accomplishments. Martindale-Hubbell® has repeatedly awarded him its highest possible rating (AV) for legal ability and professional ethics. The Best Lawyers in America® and Super Lawyers® have consistently identified him as one of the nation’s top attorneys. Mr. Janet was distinguished by The Best Lawyers in America® as a “2012 Lawyer of the Year in Personal Injury Litigation – Plaintiffs,” “2015 Lawyer of the Year in Product Liability Litigation − Plaintiffs” and “2018 Lawyer of the Year in Personal Injury Litigation – Plaintiffs.” He is included among the ranks of The National Trial Lawyers® Top 100.
LEADER OF A PREEMINENT LAW FIRM
As founding and managing partner of Janet, Jenner & Suggs, LLC (JJ&S), Mr. Janet has led his firm to national prominence. Among the firm’s recognitions:
- Preeminent, the highest classification available from the gold standard of attorney and law firm rating organizations, Martindale-Hubbell®;
- National Tier 1 law firm ranking in “Medical Malpractice Law – Plaintiffs” and “Product Liability Litigation – Plaintiffs” from U.S. News & World Report in the last year the organization offered national rankings in these categories; and
- Metropolitan Tier 1 law firm ranking in “Medical Malpractice Law – Plaintiffs,” “Product Liability Litigation – Plaintiffs” and “Personal Injury Litigation – Plaintiffs” from U.S. News & World Report.
- Patients’ Rights and Doctors’ Wrongs – Secrets to a Safer Pregnancy and Childbirth
Patients’ Rights and Doctors’ Wrongs enables expectant mothers to take an informed, proactive role in their obstetrical care so they can obtain quality services. Using real stories, the authors provide indispensable information and advice.
- Navigating a Medical Malpractice Lawsuit
Navigating a Medical Malpractice Lawsuit is the ultimate resource for anyone who has been victimized by medical practice. This easy to read and understand book explains how to bring and successfully resolve a medical malpractice case