We Are Baltimore, MD, Birth Injury Attorneys
- Over 40 Years of Experience
- More Than $3 Billion Secured for Our Clients
- Thousands of Lives Changed
Sometimes, medical errors result in catastrophic birth injuries. When they do, victims in Baltimore, MD, need dedicated, skilled, and compassionate legal representation. The birth injury division of Janet, Janet & Suggs (JJS) understands that complex cases like these, which have horrific consequences for the families involved, need a successful law firm that is tough on defendants but dedicated to maintaining victims’ dignity. JJS provides this kind of representation throughout the difficult process of getting answers and recovering damages in a birth injury lawsuit.
FREE CASE REVIEW
Find out today if you are eligible for compensation!
What Should People Look for in a Baltimore, MD, Birth Injury Attorney?
JJS has become known for its decades of successfully advocating the rights of babies and mothers who have been harmed, delivering historic justice for patients across the country. Whether birth injury results from negligence, recklessness, or outright misconduct on the part of healthcare providers, these kinds of cases are never easy on those who have been injured or their families, nor are they resolved quickly.
Families impacted by a devastating birth injury need to know they will receive both personal attention and long-term support from their legal team. JJS is backed by over 40 years of medical and legal experience advocating on behalf of seriously injured clients across Maryland and the United States. Birth injuries can present in many different forms, in some cases as the result of a complex timeline of negligent actions on the part of one or many parties. JJS provides personalized attention and dedicated service in seeking out these parties, holding them accountable, and striving to recover the maximum compensation available by law.
- We investigate the evidence. JJS’s discovery phase of a birth injury case starts with a simple, but often ignored, commitment: the pursuit of the full truth. We collaborate with our network of trusted allies to uncover what really happened to cause the injury and who is responsible. In previous malpractice cases, our thorough investigative process has even led to the discovery of evidence that other firms missed.
- We calculate the damages. The damages inflicted upon victims of medical malpractice will of course include medical expenses, but the harm done goes far beyond the costs of a lifetime of medical treatment. Victims harmed by medical error and negligence need a law firm that has the resources to establish proof of the significant expenses and impacts of severe birth injury, including pain and suffering and a diminished quality of life.
Even so, the investigation into a birth injury case is only one crucial part of what victims need in their legal representation. The reality is that birth injury law firms also must have substantial financial resources themselves in order to go the distance in seeking fair compensation. Major malpractice cases can take years to resolve, so what happens far too often is that inexperienced and underfunded malpractice firms encourage settlements that are unfairly low. When a firm is not financially equipped to take these cases to trial, especially on a contingency basis, those lawyers often want to move on to their next case—and payday—quickly.
How Can Janet, Janet & Suggs Help Victims of Medical Malpractice?
JJS understands that the damages experienced by those who have been harmed in birth injury cases extend beyond what may be apparent to less experienced firms. Indeed, the pursuit of damages for serious medical injuries requires a deep understanding of the extent of the impact these injuries can have on victims’ lives, right from the start.
- Medical expenses. Medical costs associated with birth injury often quickly add up to far more than what families can reasonably afford, even with insurance. They face the costs of inpatient treatment, surgeries, emergency room visits, medication and medical devices, rehabilitative care, and much, much more. The consequences of serious birth injuries resulting from medical malpractice generally mean a lifelong financial burden that families should never be forced to bear.
- Lost wages and earning capacity. In addition to the cost of care needed simply to address physical injuries, catastrophic medical malpractice cases affect one’s ability to earn a living in the future. JJS can seek to recover compensation for an injured mother’s lost wages or even compensate infant victims for the future wages that will be lost as a result of the injured child’s reduced or, quite often, eliminated earning capacity.
- Non-economic damages. The consequences of birth injury run deep and extend far beyond what can be seen on a CT scan or X-ray, or added up in hospital receipts. An experienced firm will account for non-economic losses in their malpractice cases, such as victims’ pain and suffering, reduced quality of life, and emotional distress. JJS’s legal team has the knowledge to fully calculate the immense value of these losses felt by victims, and the experience to prove it to a jury.
Meet the Janet, Janet & Suggs’ Birth Injury Division
Howard Janet has uncovered medical mistakes that other lawyers have missed and represented clients throughout much of the country, recovering record-breaking results. He has authored multiple books, including Navigating a Medical Malpractice Lawsuit, Representing Plaintiffs in Medical Malpractice Cases as lead author and Patients’ Rights and Doctors’ Wrongs—Secrets to a Safer Pregnancy and Childbirth, which he co-authored with Dr. Giles Manley.
Ken Suggs served as president of the Association of Trial Lawyers of America (now known as the American Association of Justice), the leading national plaintiff’s bar association, and has been a relentless advocate for his clients for over 40 years.
Dr. Giles Manley is a board-certified OBGYN who practiced medicine for 20 years before becoming a medical malpractice attorney. He has won a number of seven-figure verdicts on behalf of his clients, combining his medical knowledge and legal experience to secure monumental victories for his clients.
Gerald Jowers represents patients who have been harmed by medical malpractice, pharmaceuticals, and medical devices, recovering extraordinary results for clients and their families at the settlement table and in the courtroom.
What Results Has Janet, Janet & Suggs Achieved for Our Clients?
Long an advocate for those affected by birth injuries, JJS is nationally recognized for our record-breaking verdicts and settlements. Over the years, JJS has recovered hundreds of millions of dollars on behalf of victims of birth injury in successful recoveries all across the country, providing families with hope, security, and healing.
- $24.25 Million for Failure to Diagnose: Another record-breaking medical malpractice verdict was awarded by a District of Columbia jury after doctors neglected to diagnose and respond to a child’s airway obstruction, causing her to suffer preventable brain damage and cerebral palsy.
- $18.1 Million for Mismanaged Labor and Delivery: Verdict obtained in Iowa on behalf of a child who developed spastic quadriplegic cerebral palsy after the mother was taken off of continuous electronic fetal monitoring and placed on intermittent monitoring despite known risk factors.
- $33.5 Million for Delayed C-Section: In Tennessee, a jury awarded this record-breaking verdict after determining doctors’ negligent actions in delaying a medically necessary Cesarean section resulted in the baby developing severe brain damage as well as cerebral palsy.
- $18 Million for Medication Error: This settlement against a pharmacy was for a medical error resulting in the incorrect medication being dispensed to a pregnant mother. Their negligence resulted in her child developing a neural tube defect, which caused paraplegia and other severe injuries.
Local Resources for Victims of Birth Injury in Baltimore, MD
Even after the successful resolution of a birth injury case, the kinds of catastrophic injuries sustained often mean needing more than what money can buy. Recovering damages in a malpractice suit is one way to access this care, but there are also community resources available that can help victims and their caretakers deal with the life-altering impacts of catastrophic injury, connect to others who understand what they are going through, and even provide help while they’re awaiting the resolution of their birth injury case.
- Maryland Department of Health Office of Health Care Quality: The State of Maryland’s system of reporting complaints about health care facilities and community-based treatment programs.
- Disability Support Services: Providing educational and administrative support to people in Maryland with disabilities.
- Cerebral Palsy Family Network: A national network of families, organizations, and educational resources dedicated to supporting families impacted by cerebral palsy.
Locations We Serve
JJS is proud to offer our birth injury representation for families across the country, including Baltimore and elsewhere in Maryland, Illinois, Iowa, Minnesota, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, North Carolina, Virginia, and Washington, D.C. JJS also practices on a case-by-case basis in courtrooms across other states.
JJS offers representation for those who have been harmed by others in a variety of practice areas.
- Birth injuries
- Brain injuries
- Cancer misdiagnosis or delayed diagnosis
- Cerebral palsy
- Defective medical products
- Defective products
- Military medical malpractice
- Nursing home negligence
- Organ damage
- Sexual abuse
- Surgical errors
- Wrongful death
Why Choose Janet, Janet & Suggs for Baltimore, MD, Birth Injury Cases?
JJS’s commitment to advocacy has resulted in historic justice for victims of malpractice. However, our history of record-breaking verdicts and settlements is only one sign of our continued successes in getting clients justice.
We have also been recognized by a variety of leading organizations including Best Lawyers®, Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch in America, AV Preeminent ratings by Martindale-Hubbell, and as one of U.S. News & World Report’s Best Law Firms. Many of our attorneys are also listed as Super Lawyers® These recognitions from leading organizations reflect our continued commitment to working toward securing our clients’ futures when they have been harmed by medical malpractice. Contact the medical malpractice team at Janet, Janet & Suggs today for a free, no-obligation consultation.
4 Reservoir Circle,
Baltimore, MD 21208