This might come as a surprise, but 16-18-year-old drivers are not the worst-behaved drivers on the road. A new survey from the AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety reveals that young millennials between 19 and 24-years-old were more likely to engage in risky driving behaviors that could cause a car accident than any other age group.
Nearly 90 percent of young millennials in this age bracket engaged in a risky driving behavior in the past month, such as texting and driving, running a red light, or exceeding the speed limit.
Approximately 69 percent of drivers between 16 and 18-years-old admitted to engaging in these risky behaviors in the past month. The percentage of drivers 25 to 39-years-old who engaged in these behaviors was 79.2 percent.
The survey also revealed the following about young millennial drivers:
- They are 1.4 times more likely to say they went 10 mph over the speed limit in a residential area.
- More than 11 percent think driving 10 mph over the speed limit in a school zone is perfectly fine.
- They are more likely than drivers in any other age group to claim texting and driving is normal.
- They are less supportive of laws addressing texting and driving and other driving distractions.
Other notable findings from the survey include:
- Nearly 80 percent of survey respondents reported that it is unacceptable to speed on the freeway.
- Nearly 50 percent of respondents admitted to exceeding the speed limit in the past month.
- Less than five percent of all drivers reported that it was okay to travel at 10 mph over the speed limit in a school zone.
- Almost 100 percent of survey respondents claimed drunk driving is a threat to everyone’s safety.
- Approximately one in eight respondents said they have driven after drinking in the last 365 days.
Have you suffered an injury in a car accident caused by the other driver’s negligence? Contact Janet, Janet & Suggs for a free, no obligation legal consultation. Our car accident attorneys may be able to help you obtain compensation for damages, including medical bills, property damage and lost wages. Our attorneys have decades of combined legal experience and have helped numerous clients recover the compensation they deserve.
Contact our auto accident injury lawyers today. Call 1-877-692-3862.