Accomplished Birth Injury Lawyers
- 40 Years of Experience
- Over $3 Billion Won for Our Clients
- You Pay Nothing Unless We Win
A birth injury can have devastating life-long consequences for a child and their family. These types of injuries can result in serious disorders, such as cerebral palsy, and can mean significant medical bills, long-term care, living adjustments, and changes to your child’s future.
If you suspect your child’s injury is the result of negligence or carelessness by a medical professional, our birth injury lawyers will conduct an in-depth investigation to determine if any wrongdoing occurred. Backed by decades of combined medical and legal experience, our team has recovered hundreds of millions on behalf of families who have been harmed before, during, or soon after birth. Contact us today for a free, no-obligation consultation.
FREE CASE REVIEW
If you think malpractice may have led to your child’s injury, we can help.
All submissions are 100% confidential.
Our Dedicated Birth Injury Division
At JJS, we are committed to helping parents get the compensation they need to take care of their children. The Birth Injury Division at Janet, Janet & Suggs has decades of experience and has helped over 30,000 families nationwide. We have both legal and medical experts on our team so that we can help you navigate medical records, recognize errors, and help you seek the compensation you deserve.
Managing principal Howard Janet is recognized as one of the best birth injury lawyers in the nation. Having served the cause for 40 years, he has gained the knowledge and legal skills needed to help our clients obtain justice.
Partner Kenneth Suggs is also nationally recognized for his legal expertise in cases of birth injuries. Another of our partners, Giles Manley, has more than 20 years of experience as a board-certified OBGYN. He joined the legal profession to help families whose babies suffered birth injuries.
Together, our medical malpractice, birth injury, and cerebral palsy lawyers have a proven record of identifying birth injury lawsuits caused by negligence and fighting to get maximum compensation for our clients.
Featured Verdicts and Settlements
- $33.5 Million for Delayed C-Section: A Tennessee jury awarded this record-breaking verdict after finding that delays in performing an urgently needed cesarean section resulted in a baby developing severe brain damage and cerebral palsy.
- $24.25 Million for Failure to Diagnose: A record-breaking medical malpractice jury verdict in the District of Columbia, obtained for a child who suffered brain damage and cerebral palsy because her doctors failed to properly diagnose and respond to an airway obstruction.
- $18.1 Million for Mismanaged Labor and Delivery: Verdict obtained in Iowa on behalf of a child who developed spastic quadriplegic cerebral palsy after the mother was taken off of continuous electronic fetal monitoring and placed on intermittent monitoring despite known risk factors.
- $18 Million for Medication Error: A settlement obtained in a case against a pharmacy that negligently dispensed incorrect medication to a pregnant mother, resulting in her child developing a neural tube defect, resulting in paraplegia and other significant injuries.
- $15.1 Million for Mismanaged Delivery: A trial award by a Federal Judge in a Tennessee case against an Army Community Hospital whose improper fetal monitoring during delivery and failure to properly inform the mother of specific risks led to her child suffering a hypoxic-ischemic brain injury, resulting in cerebral palsy and lifelong neurological deficits.
Types of Birth Injuries
For 40 years our birth injury lawyers have successfully represented families whose children have been injured because of some form of negligence or malpractice. The types of injuries vary greatly, but some of the types of injuries we see most often are:
- Heart defects
- Hypoxic ischemic encephalopathy (HIE)
- Intracranial bleed
- Klumpke’s palsy
- Necrotizing enterocolitis
- Paralysis, paraplegia, or quadriplegia
- PICC line infection
- Shoulder dystocia
- Spinal cord damage
Mothers can also suffer severe injury and infection if proper care is not taken during the pregnancy and birthing process. Our team has successfully represented both mothers and newborns who have suffered because of a medical professional’s negligence.
Which Medical Professionals Can Be Held Liable for Birth Injuries?
Preventable birth injuries can be caused by the actions or inaction of any healthcare professional involved in the pregnancy and birthing process including, but not limited to:
- Obstetricians/ Gynecologists
- Labor and delivery nurses
- Nurse anesthetists
- Nurse midwives
Often, these types of injuries are the result of some form of medical negligence, in which a medical professional or medical provider did not act within reasonable standards of care. This can include:
- Anesthesia errors and mistakes
- Birth injuries due to malpractice
- Delayed C-section
- Delayed or mishandled delivery
- Failure to detect birth defects
- Failure to diagnose, treat or test for infection
- Failure to perform C-section
- Failure to recognize signs of fetal distress
- Failure to prepare for and respond to hypoxia, when the child is not receiving enough oxygen
- Failure to respond to severe dehydration at birth
- Fetal monitoring negligence
- Hospital negligence, errors, medical malpractice
- Improper use of vacuums or forceps during delivery
- Medication errors and mismanagement
- Misinterpretation of test results
- Mismanaged labor and delivery / neonatal injuries
- Neglecting to conduct specialized tests during pregnancy
- Umbilical catheter misplacement
Our birth injury lawyers have seen firsthand the devastating effects of these medical errors. They often have lasting effects on a child and his or her family and require expensive treatment and continued care.
Fighting for the Compensation You Need
At Janet, Janet & Suggs LLC, we understand the financial needs associated with these types of injuries and are experienced in recovering the compensation our clients need to pay for their child’s future.
Some of the most common forms of compensation available in a birth injury lawsuit include:
- Past and future medical expenses
- Health care costs for various forms of therapy, in-home care, and home modifications
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of life’s enjoyment
- Lost wages
Our birth injury lawyers have recovered hundreds of millions on behalf of victims of birth injuries, including record-breaking verdicts in many states. We provide personalized attention and dedicated service to each and every case we represent to help ensure each client receives the maximum compensation they deserve. We will not settle for anything less.
Schedule a Free Consultation Today
If you believe your child’s injury was the result of negligence, do not hesitate to contact Janet, Janet & Suggs, LLC to see if you have a case. You only have a limited amount of time to file a claim, due to statute of limitations laws, so it’s important to reach out as soon as you realize an error may have been made.
Although not every injury at birth is a result of negligence, it is important that you contact an experienced attorney if you suspect wrongdoing. Our birth injury lawyers have the skills and resources to investigate your case and determine if negligence caused your child’s injury.
Schedule a free, no obligation consultation today to find out more. We provide our services on a contingency fee basis and do not charge any upfront fees. You owe us nothing unless we recover compensation for you.