If you’ve been involved in a personal injury accident, your priority should be focusing on your healing and recovery, not dealing with a complicated legal process. And yet almost immediately you’re getting bombarded with phone calls, requests and bills from insurance companies, physicians, police and others. If you’re overwhelmed with the stress of how you’re going to heal — and afford such expenses — rest assured that there is help available. A personal injury lawyer can help get your life back on track so that you can focus on your health and recovery.
If you’ve been injured or harmed as a result of another individual’s or entity’s actions, you probably have a lot of questions about whether or not you need a personal injury lawyer and how they can help your case. Here’s what you need to know.
What Is a Personal Injury Lawyer?
If you’re wondering, “What is personal injury law?” you’re not alone. A personal injury attorney provides legal services to individuals who have been injured — whether physically or psychologically — as a result of the negligence of another person, company, government agency or entity. Common personal injury cases include:
- Car accidents and motor vehicle collisions
- Slip-and-fall accidents
- Defective products or services
- Medical malpractice
- Birth injury
- Sexual abuse
Personal injury lawyers pursue financial compensation for the damages their victims have suffered. This payment is necessary to cover the calculable costs, such as medical expenses, loss of income and loss of earning capacity. Further, personal injury attorneys understand that not all losses are quantifiable, and they will also fight to get you compensation in areas such as emotional distress, loss of companionship, mental anguish, and pain and suffering.
Do You Need a Personal Injury Lawyer?
Filing a personal injury claim can be complicated and difficult, and it’s especially hard when you’ve been the victim of a traumatic accident or injury. You need a friend in your corner to walk you through complex legal procedures, explain medical and insurance jargon, and take care of the mountain of paperwork that accompanies any legal claim. If you have been injured in an accident caused by the negligence or carelessness of another, a personal injury lawyer will be there to help you every step of the way, including:
- Conducting an investigation. Even if it seems clear who is at fault, there are many factors that can complicate a personal injury case. An attorney will examine eyewitness statements, police reports and all available evidence to help prove that negligence or recklessness was a factor in your case.
- Negotiating with insurance companies. Insurance providers are notorious for trying to pay less than the amount a victim lawfully deserves. A personal injury lawyer is accustomed to negotiating with insurance companies and will rely on their expertise and experience to negotiate for your justice.
- Connecting with medical providers. If you’re uninsured or unable to afford your medical expenses, an emergency care provider may offer a lien on your settlement — which means they will receive a portion of your settlement to cover your expenses. A personal injury attorney may be able to help you settle these hospital liens so that you’re fairly compensated for your losses and damages.
- Taking your case to court. The majority of personal injury cases never make it this far because of how complex and time-consuming a trial can be. However, if the insurance company denies your claim, going through a full civil trial may be the only way to obtain your settlement.
A Personal Injury Law Firm You Can Trust
No more Google searches for “Do I need a personal injury lawyer?” The experienced lawyers of Janet, Janet & Suggs are here to help you seek the compensation you deserve. Our nationally recognized firm has been helping personal injury victims all over the country — including in Baltimore, Chicago, Columbia, NYC, Philadelphia, Minneapolis, Charlotte and Des Moines — for 40 years.