Nationally Recognized Kernicterus Lawyers
- Over 40 Years of Experience
- More Than $3 Billion Won for Our Clients
- Thousands of Lives Changed
It's not uncommon for newborns to experience jaundice due to higher bilirubin levels. However, when there's an extreme bilirubin buildup, they can develop a type of brain injury known as kernicterus. As this is a serious medical emergency, babies experiencing kernicterus need to be immediately treated to bring down bilirubin levels and prevent additional brain damage.
FREE CASE REVIEW
Find out today if you are eligible for compensation.
When preventable medical errors occur, such as undiagnosed or untreated kernicterus, patients can experience life-long consequences. Regardless of why the medical malpractice happened, the law entitles you to seek financial compensation for damages, and our kernicterus lawyers at Janet, Janet and Suggs are here to help.
What to Know About Kernicterus Cases
Jaundice symptoms can appear in a newborn within the first few days of life. Jaundice results in the whites of the eyes and skin of a newborn turning a yellowish color. However, symptoms of kernicterus, also known as bilirubin encephalopathy, are more serious.
- Lethargy or unusual sleepiness
- Extremely difficult to wake up
- Body arched like a bow, with heels, head, and neck bent back
- Decreased appetite and feeding less than usual
- High-pitched or inconsolable crying
- Lack of dirty or wet diapers
- Completely limp or stiff body
- Missing reflexes
- Uncontrollable movements
- Unusual eye movements
Causes of Kernicterus
When severe jaundice isn't properly treated, it results in kernicterus. The liver of a newborn can't always process bilirubin fast enough. This results in bilirubin building up in the newborn's bloodstream. There are two kinds of bilirubin in the body:
- Unconjugated bilirubin: This type of bilirubin travels from the bloodstream to the liver. Since it's not water-soluble, meaning it doesn't dissolve in water, it can build up in the body's tissues. When unconjugated bilirubin levels get very high, it can travel out of the bloodstream and move into the brain tissue.
- Conjugated bilirubin: Conjugated bilirubin is converted from unconjugated bilirubin in a newborn's liver. Since it's water-soluble, it doesn't cross from the bloodstream into the brain and typically can be excreted from the body, so it doesn't lead to kernicterus.
How a Kernicterus Lawyer Can Help with Your Case
If you believe your child has suffered due to medical malpractice in the form of undiagnosed or untreated kernicterus, you may have the right to pursue legal action against the medical professional responsible. Managing a claim can be incredibly hard while dealing with the aftermath of kernicterus. Partnering with the experienced brain injury accident lawyers at JJS can give you the necessary support you need.
Locations We Serve
Our traumatic brain injury attorneys are proud to offer representation for families across the country, including New York, Maryland, Illinois, Iowa, Minnesota, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia, and Washington, D.C. JJS also practices on a case-by-case basis in courtrooms across other states.
The team at JJS has the skills and resources needed to handle complex brain injury cases. We will conduct a thorough investigation into your claim and quickly begin building the strongest case possible on your behalf. Our successful record of recovering hundreds millions of dollars for our clients means we know what it takes to build a case that can help them receive the maximum compensation they deserve.
Because we offer our services on a contingency fee basis, we charge no upfront fees. You will owe us nothing until you recover compensation. Contact us today for a free, no-obligation consultation to learn more about your rights and legal options.
Why Choose Janet, Janet & Suggs to Help with Your Kernicterus Case?
At JJS, we care about you and your family, and we pride ourselves in our proven ability to seek the justice you deserve. We will counsel you throughout the entire claim and legal process to help you make the best decisions for your family and maximize your recovery.
Help You Understand Your Rights
Understanding the options and rights you have when kernicterus occurs can significantly impact your case's outcome. We have the experience needed to help you understand these rights.
Investigate Your Case
Our skilled brain injury accident lawyers will dive into the details of your case as we seek to prove medical negligence in a court of law. Our goal is to hold responsible parties accountable and to help you recover the best possible compensation settlement or verdict.
Develop a Strategic Plan for Winning Your Case
Filing a kernicterus claim while caring for your child can be incredibly hard to manage. By partnering with JJS, you'll have an action plan that's tailored to your specific case. This puts you in the best possible position for recovering the settlement or verdict you and your family deserve to cover medical expenses, lost wages, and other damages.
Prepare for Trial When Necessary
Insurance companies are known for attempting to settle claims for far less than injured parties deserve. Having experienced brain injury lawyers on your side to handle negotiations can help you seek the best possible settlement or verdict, and reject offers that fall short of real justice. At JJS, our team of legal professionals will do whatever is needed to help you recover the financial compensation you are legally entitled to. This includes taking your kernicterus case to court if necessary.
A Team Who Fights for Your Family as We Would Our Own
- The nationally recognized trial lawyers of Janet, Janet & Suggs have been demanding justice for birth injury survivors and their families for over 40 years. We’re known for our track record of aggressive advocacy just as much as for being a trusted and sensitive advocate during an incredibly difficult time.
- JJS has achieved historic wins for birth injury survivors throughout the country. Our devoted firm has reached record-breaking verdicts in many states, and we’ve recovered hundreds of millions in settlements for our birth injury clients.
- The attorneys at JJS have dedicated their lives to protecting the rights and futures of injured infants and their families. Our birth injury legal team is led by board-certified OBGYN and attorney Giles Manley, MD, whose 20 years of experience delivering newborns makes him an expert advocate for families who have been harmed by birth injury.
If your child has suffered from kernicterus due to medical malpractice, JJS can help. Our kernicterus lawyers hold responsible parties accountable as we strive to recover the entire measure of justice you and your family deserve. Contact us today, and we will evaluate your case and schedule a free, no-obligation consultation.