As patients, we put our trust in the care and service of experienced doctors and healthcare providers — which is why medical malpractice can be so traumatic. When a preventable medical mistake occurs, the consequences can be life changing for patients. Whether your medical malpractice accident involved a surgical error, birth injury, defective medical product or something else entirely, you are lawfully entitled to compensation for your damages.
What to Know About Medical Negligence Cases
Doctors and other healthcare providers owe their patients treatment that aligns with the accepted medical standard of care. This is commonly understood as the level and type of medical care that a skilled and competent healthcare professional should provide, based on experience and the circumstances that led to the negligence.
Medical negligence includes any type of medical care administered by a licensed medical professional that deviates from that accepted standard. However, some categories of medical negligence are more common than others, including:
- Medication errors
- Failure to diagnose
- Birth injuries
- Surgical errors
- Failure to appropriately treat
If you or a loved one has been a victim of medical negligence and has questions surrounding your case, you’re not alone. Some of the most common questions we hear from victims and families of victims suffering from medical negligence include:
How do I prove that a doctor’s negligence caused my child’s birth injury?
Few things are as traumatic as an injury to a newborn during delivery. If your child has suffered because of the negligence of a hospital or medical provider, you deserve to be compensated for your medical expenses as well as pain and suffering. To prove your child suffered a birth injury because of medical negligence, you and your medical negligence lawyer must provide evidence of all of the following.
- That the doctor, midwife or medical facility owed you a duty of care
- What the standard of care should have been under similar circumstances
- How the hospital or healthcare provider violated the standard of care
- That the deviation from the medical standard was the direct and proximate cause of your damages
- That you or your child sustained measurable damages
What kinds of damages can I claim?
As the victim of medical negligence, you’ve most likely sustained a great deal of injury and pain, which will be reflected in the medical expenses you accrue, including ongoing treatment for the foreseeable future. Depending on the severity of your injury, you may also be unable to resume work, in which case you may also be able to collect recovery for lost wages and diminished earning capacity.
What’s more, the consequences of a medical negligence injury cannot all be measured in monetary value. An experienced lawyer will also be able to help obtain compensation for your pain and suffering. This includes the physical pain that resulted from your injuries and treatment, as well as the psychological impact of your pain, often in the form of emotional distress and loss of enjoyment of life.
How a Medical Negligence Lawyer Can Help with Your Case
If you believe you were the victim of medical negligence, you have a right to take legal action against the party responsible for your injury, regardless of the severity of your injury. But managing a claim is incredibly difficult when you’re dealing with the aftermath of your injury. When you partner with an experienced medical negligence attorney, you’ll get the support you need, from help understanding complex legal procedures to guidance on finances and representation on your behalf.
Locations We Serve
The skilled medical neglect attorneys at Janet, Janet & Suggs are proud to serve medical malpractice victims and their families all over the country, including in Illinois, Iowa, Maryland, Minnesota, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Virginia and Washington, DC.
Why Trust Janet, Janet & Suggs to Help with Your Medical Negligence Case?
At JJS, you’re so much more than a legal accident case to us. We care about our clients, and we pride ourselves on providing the resources of a large firm with the personalized support of a small firm. When you partner with us, we’ll counsel you through the entire claim and legal process to help you make the best decisions and maximize your recovery. Here’s what you can expect from us.
- Explain your rights: Understanding your rights and options after a medical negligence accident can significantly impact the outcome of your case. You need an advocate by your side who has experience helping medical negligence victims understand their rights.
- Investigate your case: Our skilled medical neglect attorneys will delve into the details of your accident to be able to prove in a court of law that medical negligence occurred. This will ensure that the responsible party is held accountable, and that you receive the best possible compensation.
- Develop a strategic plan to win your case: It can be incredibly hard to manage filing a medical negligence claim, especially when you’re recovering from an injury. Partnering with JJS means you’ll have an action plan tailored to the specifics of your case, putting you in the best position to recover the settlement you deserve.
- Prepare for trial if necessary: Our strong legal and medical team will do whatever it takes to recover the compensation you are entitled to under the law — and that includes taking your case to court if necessary.
- Maximize your recovery: Insurance companies will often try to settle claims for less than victims deserve — but our experienced lawyers will handle the negotiations for the best possible recovery.
If you or a loved one have been affected by medical negligence, JJS is here to help. We’ll hold the responsible party accountable and recover the full measure of justice that you deserve. Contact us today for a free, no-obligation consultation to discuss your case.