Experienced Gastric Bypass Surgery Error Attorneys
- Over 40 Years of Experience
- More Than $3 Billion Won for Our Clients
- Thousands of Lives Changed
Preventable gastric bypass surgery errors have led to disastrous, even permanently life-altering, consequences. The following guide will help you better understand more about gastric bypass and what happens when surgery goes wrong because of medical error. Hundreds of thousands of Americans each year undergo gastric bypass surgery, either performed laparoscopically or through a large incision in the abdomen.
FREE CASE REVIEW
Find out today if you are eligible for compensation.
Patients who have been catastrophically injured as a result of preventable gastric bypass errors may be entitled to pursue compensation for injuries or complications that result from medical negligence. The surgical error attorneys at Janet, Janet & Suggs are experienced in holding negligent surgeons and hospitals accountable for their mistakes. Schedule a free, no-obligation consultation with the medical malpractice attorneys at Janet, Janet & Suggs, LLC for a review of your case.
These unfortunate but routine consequences from gastric bypass may happen even under the best circumstances; however, doctors and nurses sometimes make errors. In those cases, patients may have a legal basis for seeking compensation through a medical malpractice lawsuit.
What Types of Gastric Bypass Errors Result from Medical Malpractice?
While any violation of the standard of care may be considered medical malpractice, there are some common errors made by doctors that may result in injuries and lead to a medical malpractice lawsuit:
- Improper screening of candidates. A doctor who is negligent in the screening of patients for increased risks may be just as responsible as a doctor who makes an error during the surgery itself.
- Missed bleeding or leaking gastric fluid during surgery. If a surgeon misses even tiny leaks or punctures, it can have devastating consequences for patients and may make the surgeon liable for damages.
- Inadequate postoperative monitoring. If a healthcare professional is negligent in monitoring patients following surgery—whether in the recovery room or after the patient is released from the hospital—it might be grounds for a lawsuit.
- Faulty equipment or sterilization procedures. Sometimes, complications arise not from a direct error on the part of the surgeon but because the equipment itself is defective or was not properly sanitized.
Regardless of whether the patient’s injury results from the surgeon’s lack of training and experience, a medical error during or after gastric bypass surgery can result in serious complications that affect the patient’s health and quality of life. If you or a loved one believes you have been injured as a result of medical malpractice, you may be able to take legal action against your doctor, the hospital or surgical center, equipment manufacturer, or others.
How Do You Prove Liability in a Gastric Bypass Malpractice Lawsuit?
As with any medical malpractice lawsuit, JJS represents gastric bypass error cases from investigation to trial, if no fair settlement can be reached. Our firm provides clients with:
- Legal knowledge. Many different factors can make cases more complex than they appear—from who is responsible to the amount of damages to which the client is entitled. An experienced malpractice attorney will fight during all stages of your case in order to seek fair compensation.
- Medical knowledge. Medical malpractice cases are especially complex. To prove your case, you will need to seek testimony and evidence from medical experts, which means your lawyer will need to be familiar with the field of medicine and have access to a network of trusted professionals. Proving a healthcare professional was negligent is crucial for compensation, which is why these cases need an experienced trial attorney from a law firm that specifically focuses on medical malpractice.
If a medical error related to your gastric bypass has caused you harm, you deserve to be compensated. An experienced medical malpractice attorney will advocate for damages to compensate you for medical bills and possibly more.
How Much Compensation Am I Entitled To?
Gastric bypass malpractice and other surgical errors can result in a variety of settlement or verdict amounts. Every situation is different, and each case has many factors to consider. Compensation will depend on the type and severity of the injury, the degree of culpability on the part of the medical professionals involved, and additional factors such as loss of earning capacity, future medical expenses, and decreased quality of life.
At Janet, Janet & Suggs, LLC we understand the financial needs associated with these types of injuries and are experienced in recovering the compensation our clients need to pay for their future. Our surgical error attorneys provide personalized attention and dedicated service to each and every client we represent to help each client receive the compensation they deserve.
Featured Verdicts and Settlements
Janet, Janet & Suggs, LLC represents the most serious personal injury cases, leaving no stone unturned to recover life-changing compensation for our clients.
- $33.5 million: Delayed C-Section
A Tennessee jury awarded this record-breaking verdict after finding that delays in performing an urgently needed cesarean section resulted in a baby developing severe brain damage and cerebral palsy.
- $24.25 Million: Failure to Diagnose
A record-breaking medical malpractice jury verdict in the District of Columbia, obtained for a child who suffered brain damage and cerebral palsy because her doctors failed to properly diagnose and respond to an airway obstruction.
- $18.1 Million: Mismanaged Labor and Delivery
Verdict obtained in Iowa on behalf of a child who developed spastic quadriplegic cerebral palsy after the mother was taken off of continuous electronic fetal monitoring and placed on intermittent monitoring despite known risk factors.
Locations We Serve
Janet, Janet & Suggs is proud to offer representation for families across the United States, including Maryland, Illinois, Iowa, Minnesota, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Virginia, and Washington, D.C., as well as on a case-by-case basis in courtrooms across other states.
Why Choose Janet, Janet & Suggs for Your Gastric Bypass Medical Malpractice Case?
JJS represents medical malpractice victims nationwide, with a record of helping to secure multi-million dollar settlements and verdicts for our clients. Our firm operates on a contingency fee basis, which means we do not collect payment until your case is won.
We have also been recognized by a variety of leading organizations including Best Lawyers®, Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch in America, AV Preeminent ratings by Martindale-Hubbell, and as one of U.S. News & World Report’s Best Law Firms. Many of our attorneys are also listed as Super Lawyers® These recognitions from leading organizations reflect our continued commitment to working toward securing our clients’ futures when they have been harmed by medical malpractice. If you believe that you need to speak to an attorney about harm you have suffered as a result of gastric bypass, contact JJS today to schedule a free consultation.