Medical Review Board
Giles H. Manley, M.D., J.D., F.A.C.O.G.
CPFN Medical Advisor | Board-Certified OBGYN | Medical Malpractice Attorney
- Board-certified OBGYN, 20+ years
- Former Chief of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Mid-Atlantic Permanente Medical Group
Dr. Manley brings to the CPFN Medical Review Board more than 20 years’ experience in the medical profession. As a board-certified OBGYN with well over 2,000 deliveries, he is extremely knowledgeable in all areas of obstetrics. His specialty training was at the Greater Baltimore Medical Center (GBMC), which included a four-month rotation of high-risk obstetrics at Johns Hopkins Hospital. Following successful completion of his residency, he served as a faculty instructor at GBMC, while also maintaining a private practice. In 1996, he left this practice to become the Chief of Obstetrics and Gynecology in Baltimore for the Mid-Atlantic Permanente Medical Group (the physician group of Kaiser Permanente). While continuing to serve as OBGYN Chief, in 2002, he also took on the role of Area Medical Director.
In addition to his extensive obstetrical experience, Dr. Manley had a particular interest in gynecologic surgery. His specialty was in minimally invasive procedures. He was the first person at GBMC to perform a laparoscopic supra cervical hysterectomy, and the first to perform incontinence surgery utilizing a tension-free vaginal tape. Both procedures allowed the patient to return home on the day of surgery, followed by a brief recovery period. He has lectured to fellow physicians nationwide about these innovative techniques.
Throughout his medical career, Dr. Manley has served on a number of committees including: the Obstetrical Advisory Committee at GBMC, the Gynecology Advisory Committee at GBMC, and the Obstetrical Quality Review Committee at Kaiser, among others. He is a fellow of the American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology as well as the American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
Dr. Manley has extensive medical-legal experience and has served as an expert witness. He has testified many times in both depositions and trials. He has done this both from a plaintiff’s and defense perspective.
Having witnessed substandard medical care first-hand, Dr. Manley decided to become a plaintiffs’ medical malpractice attorney. He was confident he could use his medical expertise to benefit severely injured patients and their families. While he handles a wide range of malpractice claims, a substantial portion of his time is devoted to representing families whose children develop cerebral palsy from preventable birth injuries.
EDUCATION and TRAINING
- University of Baltimore School of Law, J.D. – 2005 (magna cum laude), Heuisler Honor Society
- Greater Baltimore Medical Center – Residency, Obstetrics and Gynecology, 1986 - 1990
- University of Maryland School of Medicine, M.D. – 1986
- Towson State University, B.S. – 1981 (cum laude)
- Obstetrics & Gynecology
- General Obstetrics & Gynecology
- Howard Janet and Giles Manley, “Knowledge is Power,” Cerebral Palsy Magazine, Dec., 2005 vol. 3 issue 4
- Giles Manley, “Inside the Brachial Plexus Injury Case,” Trial for AAJ, May, 2007 p.52
- Howard Janet and Giles Manley, Patients’ Rights and Doctors’ Wrongs — Secrets to a Safer Pregnancy and Childbirth, paperback and e-book, March, 2016
CERTIFICATIONS and LICENSURE
- MD State Medical License 1987 - 2021
- American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology—certified 1992, recertified 2003-present
William R. “Topper” Cramer, RN, MBA, MS, CCRN, CFRN, EMT-P
Legal Nurse Consultant | Nurse Paralegal
- United States Air Force Veteran
- Pre-hospital RN/Paramedic
- Certified Flight Nurse and Critical Care Nurse
- Nationally Certified Paramedic
Topper has been involved in emergency, transport, and critical care medicine since 1978 when he became an EMT in high school. He enlisted in the United States Air Force/WV Air National Guard immediately upon high school graduation and served six years as a C-130 Transport Medical Technician.
He became a Maryland paramedic in 1981 and graduated nursing school with an A.A. Degree from Frederick Community College in 1983, followed by two years in a medical/surgical ICU. He then worked in the pre-hospital setting as an RN/paramedic while completing his B.S. Degree from UMBC in EMS Administration in 1988. He began his flight nursing career at Johns Hopkins in Baltimore in 1994. He remains active as a pre-hospital RN/paramedic, certified flight nurse, and critical care nurse. He has completed over 4000 medevac missions during his flight nursing career and has served as the ED Director at two regional hospitals.
He completed his Master of Science Degree from the University of Maryland University College in 2009 and completed his MBA in 2011 from the same university. He completed his legal nurse consulting training in 2003 and completed his paralegal certification from George Mason University in 2020. He holds an active RN compact license and is a nationally certified paramedic in the states of Maryland, Virginia, Pennsylvania, Kentucky, and Florida.
In addition to his professional role as a nurse consultant/nurse paralegal, he is the Chief of Operations at Walkersville Volunteer Rescue in Frederick County, Maryland. He has held this position for the past 25 years, operating three BLS ambulances, bariatric services, and heavy rescue operations while managing a staff of 40 active volunteers.
EDUCATION and TRAINING
- Frederick Community College, A.A. – 1983
- University of Maryland, Baltimore County, B.S. – 1988
- University of Maryland University College, M.S. – 2009
- University of Maryland University College, M.B.A. – 2011
- George Mason University, Paralegal Certification – 2020
Trish Fletcher, MS, BSN, CRNP, NNP-BC, ALNC
Neonatal Nurse Practitioner | Birth Injury Legal Nurse Consultant
- Board Certified Registered Nurse Practitioner
- Registered Nurse
- Certified Legal Nurse Consultant
- Neonatal Resuscitation Program Regional Instructor
Trish is a dedicated, focused, Birth Injury Legal Nurse Consultant and Neonatal Nurse Practitioner with more than 25 years of experience. Her strong clinical and critical thinking skills, paired with expertise caring for neonates in a Level III Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU), ensures meticulous medical records review.
EDUCATION and TRAINING
- Mitchell Hamline School of Law, J.D. Candidate – May 2024
- University of Maryland School of Nursing, M.S. – 2001
- Widener University, B.S. – 1995
- Board Certified Registered Nurse Practitioner, National Certification Corporation – 2001-present
- Registered Nurse, Maryland State Board of Nursing – 1995-present
- Certified Legal Nurse Consultant, LNC STAT – 2020-present
- Neonatal Resuscitation Program Regional Instructor, American Academy of Pediatrics – 1999-present
- BLS for Healthcare Providers, American Heart Association – 1995-present
- Member, American Bar Association, (ABA) – 2021-present
- The International and American Association of the Legal Nurse Industry, (IAALNI) – 2020-present
- Member, American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, (ACOG) – 2019-present
- Member, Association of Women’s Health, Obstetric and Neonatal Nurses (AWHONN), – 2019-present
- March of Dimes, Bereavement Coordinator, Medstar Franklin Square Hospital – 2007-present
- Fallston Animal Humane Society – 2017-present
- Aberdeen Lion’s Club – 2016-present