Robert K. Jenner
Mass Tort Principal
- Best Lawyers® 2017 Lawyer of the Year – Mass Tort Litigation / Class Actions, Plaintiffs – Baltimore, MD
- Best Lawyers® 2016 Lawyer of the Year – Personal Injury Litigation, Plaintiffs – Baltimore, MD
- Best Lawyers® 2013 Lawyer of the Year – Mass Tort Litigation / Class Actions, Plaintiffs – Baltimore, MD
- The Best Lawyers in America®
- Maryland Super Lawyers® 2007-2016
- Martindale-Hubbell® AV® Preeminent™
Robert K. Jenner brings to the Janet, Jenner & Suggs medical and legal team more than 31 years’ experience representing injured consumers nationwide against the manufacturers of dangerous prescription drugs, defective medical devices and tainted blood products. Mr. Jenner leads the firm’s Mass Tort Division, and has assembled a team of attorneys, paralegals and health care professionals dedicated to prosecuting claims on behalf of injured consumers.
Mr. Jenner has been honored by Best Lawyers every year since 2006 and was selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America for Mass Tort Litigation/Class Actions – Plaintiffs and Personal Injury Litigation – Plaintiffs for 2014. He was also named Best Lawyers 2013 Lawyer of the Year and the Baltimore Mass Tort Litigation/Class Actions – Plaintiffs “Lawyer of the Year.” Only a single lawyer in each practice area in each community is honored as the “Lawyer of the Year.” He has been honored by his peers for inclusion in “Maryland’s Super Lawyers.”
Mr. Jenner is currently court-appointed Co-Lead Counsel of the Massachusetts consolidation of 7,000+ Granuflo state cases; co-lead counsel of the Skechers Toning Shoes litigation (MDL); and a member of the Plaintiff’s Steering Committee of the Lipitor Products Liability Litigation (MDL). Mr. Jenner is also court appointed Liaison Counsel for the Zofran litigation (MDL) in Boston.
Mr. Jenner is a Past President of the Maryland Trial Lawyers Association (currently the Maryland Association for Justice, MAJ). In May 2009, MAJ Awarded Mr. Jenner and his co-counsel its Trial Lawyer of the Year Award for their efforts in challenging the illegal subrogation practices of Maryland’s HMOs.
Mr. Jenner is also active with the American Association for Justice (AAJ). He is Chair of AAJ’s Publications Committee, which oversees the publication of TRIAL magazine, the nation’s largest and most reputable magazine for trial lawyers. Mr. Jenner is also a past Chair of AAJ’s Section on Toxic, Environmental and Pharmaceutical Torts. He currently serves as Co-Chair of AAJ’s Zofran Litigation Group. In addition, Mr. Jenner has formerly served as Chair of the Pain Pump – Chondrolysis Litigation Group; Vice-Chair of the Hormone Therapy Litigation Group; Rezulin Litigation Group; Baycol Litigation Group; AIDS Litigation Group; Latex Toxicity Litigation Group; and HMO Litigation Group. In July 2002, 2003, 2004 and 2008, AAJ awarded him its Wiedemann-Wysocki Medal for his commitment to AAJ and the civil justice system.
A prolific author, Mr. Jenner has written more than 25 articles published in nationally-recognized legal and health care journals. In addition, Mr. Jenner is the author of the legal treatise on representing the victims of HIV acquired from defective blood products, Transfusion – Associated AIDS (Lawyers & Judges Publishing Co., 1995).
He is also a frequent lecturer, having been invited to speak on medical-legal issues both nationally and internationally. He has organized and moderated dozens of acclaimed seminars in conjunction with AAJ’s National College of Advocacy on the issues of Zofran, Pradaxa, Vioxx, Hormone Therapy, Baycol, Rezulin, and general pharmaceutical and mass tort litigation.
Mr. Jenner is a member of the bars of both Maryland and the District of Columbia. He was honored by his peers by being inducted into the International Society of Barristers, one of the country’s most selective attorney honorary societies. He has obtained the highest rating (AV) by his peers as reflected in Martindale-Hubbell.
Mr. Jenner is married and has two children: Matt, a graduate of the University of Westminster in London, England (M.S.) and the University of Paris (B.A.); and Nikki, a graduate of Boston University. He is also a volunteer for Lab Rescue of the LRCP, as well as an avid scuba diver who is always willing to take suggestions for great dive destinations.
- Case Western Reserve University School of Law, J.D. – 1985 (cum laude)
- Franklin & Marshall College, B.A. – 1982
- Maryland Bar
- District of Columbia Bar
- Public Justice
- Maryland Association for Justice (formerly the Maryland Trial Lawyers Association, Past President)
- American Association for Justice (formerly the Association of Trial Lawyers of America)
- International Society of Barristers
- Maryland Bar Foundation (Fellow)
- Maryland Association for Justice
MAJ Committees Chaired:
- Medical Malpractice Section
- Technology Committee
- Marketing Committee
- Education and Program Committee
American Association for Justice (AAJ), Committees Chaired:
- Publications Committee
- Section on Toxic, Environmental and Pharmaceutical Torts
- Pain Pump – Chondrolysis Litigation Group
- Hormone Therapy Litigation Group (Vice Chair)
- Rezulin Litigation Group
- Baycol Litigation Group
- AIDS Litigation Group
- Latex Toxicity Litigation Group
- HMO Litigation Group
Other Honors and Awards
- AAJ Wiedemann-Wysocki Medal; 2002, 2003, 2004, 2008
- Maryland Association for Justice - Trial Lawyer of the Year (Co-recipient 2009)
- The Trial Lawyer - America's 50 Most Influential Trial Lawyers 2017
- Author, "Managing Mass Torts: Laying the Groundwork," co-author with James Gotz, TRIAL, July 2016
- Author, “Rezulin: Fast Track to Failure,” TRIAL, July, 2000
- Author, “Litigating Against the HMO,” Maryland Trial Reporter, Summer, 1999
- Author, “Putting the Gloves on to Fight Latex Protein Toxicity Syndrome,”
Regulatory Affairs Focus, July, 1999
- Author, “How to Attack Discovery Abuse,” TRIAL, February 2002
- Author, with B. Welch, “Suicide Watch: Liability for Negligent Psychiatric Care,” TRIAL, May 2001
- Author, “Transfusion-Associated AIDS”, Lawyers and Judges Publishing Company (1995)