JJ&S Attorneys Shine in High-Profile Cases and Earn Peer Accolades in 2012
Posted by Howard Janet on January 15, 2013 in Firm News
Janet, Jenner & Suggs attorneys were no strangers to high-profile cases in 2012, playing key roles in litigation likely to have far-reaching impact on children, mortgage holders, consumers and patients. The firm also continued to win accolades from peers for legal excellence and professional ethics. I’m proud to share with you some of the highlights of the firm over the past 12 months:
1) In January, firm partner Ken Suggs and I continued our representation of Victim 6 in the child abuse case against former Penn State assistant football coach Jerry Sandusky. Designated “Sports Story of the Year” by the Associated Press for 2012, the case brought the national media to the firm’s doorsteps once again, and news interviews became routine for us. Sandusky was convicted in June and sentenced to 30 to 60 years in prison. The case added a new dimension to our well-known advocacy for the rights of children.
2) A JJ&S whistleblower client played a key role in exposing massive nationwide mortgage fraud, a legal odyssey which culminated in a $25 billion global settlement against five major banks. President Obama, in announcing the settlement on Feb. 16, singled out our client’s contribution to bringing dishonest lenders to justice. Representing whistleblowers is a growing segment of our legal practice.
3) Partner Rob Jenner, who heads our Mass Torts Division, in March was appointed co-lead counsel for plaintiffs nationwide who filed federal lawsuits against shoe manufacturer Skechers USA Inc. for injuries allegedly caused by its rocker bottom “Shape-ups” toning shoes. The personal injury cases are ongoing, but this was another case where personal injury lawsuits are bringing about wider justice for consumers.
4) On the accolades front, the firm continues to be ranked among the finest in the nation. JJ&S was named a 2013 National First-Tier Ranking firm in Medical Malpractice Law (Plaintiffs) and Product Liability Law (Plaintiffs) by U.S. News and World Report. Previously, U.S. News and World Report and Best Lawyers® 2011-2012 Best Law Firms named the firm to the Metropolitan First Tier in four practice areas: Medical Malpractice, Product Defects, Personal Injury, and Mass Tort/Class Action.
5) I was named Best Lawyers 2012 Lawyer of the Year for Personal Injury – Baltimore, MD. Partner Ken Suggs was named Best Lawyers 2012 Lawyer of the Year–Plaintiffs Product Liability Litigation, Columbia, SC. And Rob Jenner was named Best Lawyers 2013 Lawyer of the Year, and the Baltimore Mass Tort Litigation / Class Actions – Plaintiffs “Lawyer of the Year.” Only a single lawyer in each practice area in each community is honored as the “Lawyer of the Year.”
6) Seven of the firm’s attorneys continue to hold the highest Martindale-Hubbell rating for professional ethics and legal excellence: Janet, Jenner, Suggs, Dov Apfel, Gerald Jowers, John C. Hensley Jr., and Thomas Wilson.
Headline-grabbing cases and peer rankings tend to get attention, but our most satisfying moments remained outside the spotlight, those many times our clients won a settlement or verdict that made their lives, damaged through no fault of their own, a little easier.
The firm also continued its philanthropic support of organizations that benefit children, especially the Cerebral Palsy Family Network and the Children’s Inn of the National Institutes of Health in Bethesda, MD.
We look forward to another exceptional year.