We Are Alexandria, VA, Medical Malpractice Attorneys
- Over 40 Years of Experience
- More Than $3 Billion Secured for Our Clients
- Thousands of Lives Changed
Victims of medical malpractice in Alexandria, VA, need legal representation that is both knowledgeable and experienced in cases involving medical error. Complex cases like these, which have horrific consequences for those who are injured, need representation from law firms who are tough on defendants but are dedicated to maintaining victims’ dignity. The medical malpractice division of Janet, Janet & Suggs (JJS) provides this very kind of representation throughout the difficult process of getting answers and recovering damages in a medical malpractice lawsuit.
FREE CASE REVIEW
Find out today if you are eligible for compensation!
What Should People Who Have Been Injured Look for in an Alexandria, VA, Medical Malpractice Attorney?
JJS is nationally known for over four decades of successfully advocating for the rights of those who have been injured by medical negligence, delivering historic justice for injured patients across the country. Victims impacted by devastating medical malpractice need to know they will receive both personalized attention and long-term support from their legal team. JJS is backed by over 40 years of medical and legal experience, and we have leveraged this to advocate for injured clients across Virginia and the United States.
Whether medical malpractice results from negligence, recklessness, or outright misconduct on the part of healthcare providers, these kinds of cases are never easy on those who have been injured or their families, and they are rarely resolved quickly. Malpractice injuries can present in many different forms, and in some cases they are the result of a complex timeline of negligent actions on the part of one or many parties, meaning that the attorneys who investigate these cases must be particularly skilled in two broad areas.
- Investigating the evidence. JJS’s legal team works collaboratively with our network of trusted experts, including our in-house medical experts, to uncover what really happened to cause the injury, including requesting our own labs, evaluations, and examinations. In previous malpractice cases, our thorough investigative process has even led to the discovery of new evidence that other firms missed.
- Calculating the damages. The damages inflicted upon victims of medical malpractice will of course include medical costs, but the harm done goes far beyond the actual costs of even a lifetime of medical treatment. Victims who have been harmed by medical error deserve a firm that can leverage their experience and medical knowledge to include appropriate damages for pain, suffering, and a diminished quality of life.
Furthermore, medical malpractice law firms also must have their own substantial financial resources if they are to take on the lengthy recovery process of these kinds of cases. Catastrophic medical injury cases can take years to resolve, and not every firm can stay the course. Inexperienced and underfunded firms may encourage their clients to agree to settlements that are unjustly low. When a firm is not financially equipped to take complicated medical malpractice cases to trial, especially on a contingency basis, its lawyers will usually want to move on to their next case quickly.
How Can Janet, Janet & Suggs Help Victims of Medical Malpractice?
The damages experienced by those who have been harmed in medical malpractice cases extend beyond what may be apparent to less experienced firms. The pursuit of damages for serious medical injuries requires a deep understanding of the extent of the impact these injuries can have on victims’ lives, right from the time of injury.
- Medical expenses. Medical costs associated with medical malpractice often quickly add up to far more than what families can ever afford, even with insurance. Between the costs of inpatient treatment, surgeries, emergency room visits, medication, medical devices, and rehabilitative care, the consequences of serious medical malpractice injuries often mean a lifelong financial burden that never should have happened in the first place.
- Lost wages and earning capacity. In addition to the cost of care needed simply to address the physical injuries, catastrophic medical malpractice cases affect one’s ability to earn a living in the future. For example, JJS can seek to recover compensation for an injured mother’s lost wages or even compensate infant victims for the future wages that will be lost as a result of an injured child’s lost wage-earning capacity.
- Non-economic damages. The consequences of medical malpractice run deep and extend far beyond what can be seen on a CT scan or X-ray or can be added up through hospital invoices. Experienced firms will be sure to account for the non-economic losses called for by law in their malpractice cases, which can include victims’ pain and suffering, reduced quality of life, and emotional distress.
Meet the Janet, Janet & Suggs’ Medical Malpractice Team
Howard Janet has uncovered medical mistakes that other lawyers have missed and represented clients throughout much of the country, recovering record-breaking results. He has authored multiple books, including Navigating a Medical Malpractice Lawsuit, Representing Plaintiffs in Medical Malpractice Cases as lead author and Patients’ Rights and Doctors’ Wrongs—Secrets to a Safer Pregnancy and Childbirth, which he co-authored with Dr. Giles Manley.
Ken Suggs served as president of the Association of Trial Lawyers of America (now known as the American Association of Justice), the leading national plaintiff’s bar association, and has been a relentless advocate for his clients for over 40 years.
Dr. Giles Manley is a board-certified physician who practiced medicine for 20 years before becoming a medical malpractice attorney. He has won a number of seven-figure verdicts on behalf of his clients, combining his medical knowledge and legal experience to secure monumental victories for his clients.
Gerald Jowers represents patients who have been harmed by medical malpractice, pharmaceuticals, and medical devices, recovering extraordinary results for clients and their families at the settlement table and in the courtroom.
What Results Has Janet, Janet & Suggs Achieved for Our Clients?
JJS is nationally recognized for its record-breaking verdicts and settlements. Over the past four decades, JJS has recovered hundreds of millions of dollars on behalf of victims of medical malpractice in successful outcomes all across the country, providing families with hope, healing, and a chance for financial security.
- $33.5 Million for Delayed C-Section: In Tennessee, a jury awarded this record-breaking verdict after determining doctors’ negligent actions in delaying a medically necessary Cesarean section resulted in the baby developing severe brain damage as well as cerebral palsy.
- $24.25 Million for Failure to Diagnose: Another record-breaking medical malpractice verdict was awarded by a District of Columbia jury after doctors neglected to diagnose and respond to a child’s airway obstruction, causing her to suffer preventable brain damage and cerebral palsy.
- $18.1 Million for Mismanaged Labor and Delivery: Verdict obtained in Iowa on behalf of a child who developed spastic quadriplegic cerebral palsy after the mother was taken off of continuous electronic fetal monitoring and placed on intermittent monitoring despite known risk factors.
- $18 Million for Medication Error: This settlement against a pharmacy was for a medical error resulting in the incorrect medication being dispensed to a pregnant mother. Their negligence resulted in her child developing a neural tube defect, which caused paraplegia and other severe injuries.
Local Resources for Victims of Medical Malpractice in Alexandria, VA
Victims of medical malpractice often seek out community resources that are available to help the injured and their caretakers deal with the life-altering impacts of catastrophic injury. These resources can help families connect to others who understand what they are going through and even provide help while they’re awaiting the resolution of a medical malpractice case.
- Disability Services: This portal provides access to a wide variety of disability support services, including recreational offerings and transportation.
- United Cerebral Palsy: This nonprofit serves to educate citizens of Washington, D.C., and northern Virginia about the causes and treatment of cerebral palsy while promoting the creation of facilities that are better equipped to diagnose and treat those with the condition.
- VA Department of Health Professions: This website provides directions to those who wish to file a complaint about a licensed healthcare provider.
Locations We Serve
JJS is proud to offer medical malpractice representation for families across the country, including in Alexandria, VA, elsewhere in Virginia, Maryland, Illinois, Iowa, Minnesota, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, and Washington, D.C.. JJS also practices on a case-by-case basis in courtrooms across other states.
At JJS, we apply the same level of compassionate, dedicated care that governs our medical malpractice work to advocate for those who have suffered injury in a variety of practice areas.
- Birth injuries
- Brain injuries
- Cancer misdiagnosis or delayed diagnosis
- Cerebral palsy
- Defective medical products
- Defective products
- Military medical malpractice
- Nursing home negligence
- Organ damage
- Sexual abuse
- Surgical errors
- Wrongful death
Why Choose Janet, Janet & Suggs for Alexandria, VA, Medical Malpractice Cases?
JJS’s commitment to justice and recovery for those affected by preventable medical malpractice is driven by our decades of experience, powered by our team of lawyers and medical experts, and supported by our access to substantial resources. Our work has resulted in historic justice for victims of malpractice. However, our history of record-breaking verdicts and settlements is only one sign of our continued success in obtaining justice for our clients.
We have also been recognized by a variety of leading organizations including Best Lawyers®, Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch in America, AV Preeminent ratings by Martindale-Hubbell, and as one of U.S. News & World Report’s Best Law Firms. Many of our attorneys are also listed as Super Lawyers® These recognitions from leading organizations reflect our continued commitment to working toward securing our clients’ futures when they have been harmed by medical malpractice. Contact the medical malpractice team at Janet, Janet & Suggs today for a free, no-obligation consultation.
2000 Duke Street
Alexandria, VA 22314